Author Topic: Mains on/off lightswitch shortened life & switchmode loads?  (Read 838 times)

Offline peteb2Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Mains on/off lightswitch shortened life & switchmode loads?
« on: August 19, 2022, 04:15:51 am »
I've searched through previous posts here on this but i need a simple answer. The situation is from 230Vac Mains, the change to using LED lights (over flourescent) that invariably consist of an internal SM regulator per fitting to create the 400 plus Vdc for the internal LED strip. Switching off results in the room wall lightsitch arcing as the combined switchmode regs all "try to keep the current flowing".... Question: is there a standard snubber module accessory that can be connected across the switch contacts to prevent the arc effect. So far this year the switch has had to be replaced 3x.... If not what X or Y class capacitor might be the option? Apologies if this has been discussed to death elsewhere. Any info appreciated...

Offline Faringdon

• Super Contributor
Re: Mains on/off lightswitch shortened life & switchmode loads?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 07:33:39 am »
It sounds like it must just be those particular lights.
Ie , they dont have sufficient current limit or mains input under voltage shutdown.
What power is being drawn  through that switch when its opened?

There are RC snubbers for switchs and relays etc, but they wouldnt normally be needed for a mains LED light bulb.....most LED bulbs, even the cheap ones, tend to have some kind of inherent current limit. They usually work in some kind of peak current mode control, and they just cant draw more than a certain level of current.....which isnt very high for a single led light bulb.......its not enough to be blowing wall switchs three a year.

If a switch for mains LED  light bulbs was going to be damaged, then you'd expect it to be at switch-ON, when led bulbs with insufficient inrush limitation result in contactor arcing while it bounces, and is due to the high inrush current.

I am wondering If maybe your led lights are back fitted into old iron-core fluorescent lights, where there is a big iron cored inductor at the front end, and its the current in that that is getting broken when you switch off...and causing the arcing during the normal switch bounce.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 10:06:12 am by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 10:04:08 am »
I'm not usually one to agree with Faringdon, but there's definately something odd going on with your lights.   

• How many lights are wired to the same switch?
  • Is it possible you are exceeding the switch's current rating in normal operation
  • Have you tried a different brand of switch?

If you are running a switch right at its current rating, and switching it frequently expect a short life for it!  Derating may be required.

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline GoneTomorrow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 09:19:26 am »
My garage lightswitch often arcs when turning off 3x 20W Philips batten LEDs. But it's because it's old and gone a bit gammy. Lost its quick opening snap.

It's a crummy Clipsal, the PDL 600 series lightswitches I also have around have a much more convincing snap when turning off, and don't arc. I'll get around to swapping it one day.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf