Author Topic: Modifying a BP2861 (PAM2861?) module to produce lower current seems to break it?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline badrequest400Topic starter

• Contributor
I wanted to modify a BP2861-based module I bought so it would run my mains-powered LED light fixture much dimmer than the designers intended but it didn't work. I think the BP2861 is meant to work approximately the same way as a PAM2861. I can't find a datasheet for BP2861 but I identified what I think is the I(sense) resistor which was 0.82 ohms on my modules. This was giving a current of 167 mA from each module before I messed with them.

I desoldered the 0.82 ohms resistor and replaced with a 10 ohm resistor, thinking I'd just get a much lower current but it seems like I broke the module (going back to the 0.82 ohm resistor did not restore the module to normal function). The light fixture is unaffected (it still works when powered via an unmodified module). Is that what you would expect to happen? For anyone who understands how the PAM2861/BP2861 functions, would you expect there to be a lower limit to much current it can deliver before something breaks or should there be no lower limit? Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf