Author Topic: Suggestion for NiMH AA cell charger/discharger  (Read 1303 times)

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Suggestion for NiMH AA cell charger/discharger
« on: October 14, 2021, 02:37:08 am »
I'm looking for a charger for AA NiMH cells that will charge each cell individually, and also do a discharge and capacity measurement before recharge. I have several other chargers, one a 15 minute fast charger that I don't think pumps them all the way up, and it's end of charge termination seems to vary a bit from cell to cell, e.g. the one on the rightmost position always gets charged maybe 30% longer than the other three. And have this cheap-ass thing that charges in pairs and sort of works but I'm not that happy with it, and the radio that these cells get used in has an internal charger but of course over a period of time the cells get all unbalanced. So... can anybody recommend something I should look at? Preferably under say USD$150 if possible.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Suggestion for NiMH AA cell charger/discharger
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 02:50:14 am »
My go-to for this has always been the Powerex MH-C9000. There is apparently an update with new packaging, although I suspect the insides are similar:

https://mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000pro/

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 05:35:32 am »
I have one of these cheep Chinese chargers:
http://www.liito-kala.com/page92?product_id=6

The company that makes them seams to be focused on battery stuff and they make plenty of different models with various features, they are pretty well regraded online and sell on all the usual channels like AliExpress Amazon etc.

I use mine for NiMH AAs and AAAs along with 18650 cells. Works well, its simple to use, it autodetects the cell type, the charge current is adjustable, it displays the cell voltage and counts charge in mAh, can do a discharge test too. Only thing about it is that the button interface is a bit confusing and the battery internal resistance measurement feature doesn't really work (it still measures a good low resistance even on worn out cells)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:38:06 am by Berni »

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 08:42:45 am »
My go-to for this has always been the Powerex MH-C9000. There is apparently an update with new packaging, although I suspect the insides are similar:

https://mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000pro/
Got one yesterday. Looking good! The difference seems to be the new one doesn't have the charge/discharge X cycles option. Thanks for the suggestion.  :-+
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:44:32 am by Circlotron »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf