Author Topic: PFC'd petrol generator?  (Read 1238 times)

Online FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
PFC'd petrol generator?
« on: March 05, 2024, 08:05:30 am »
Hi,
Supposing you have a petrol sinusoidal mains  generator, the typical car  "trailer" size.
Supposing that the PFC stage  input current (from the generator)  has a fair amount of harmonics in it, not as bad as Rectifier/smoothingCap, but not
a beautiful pure sinusoid current.

Will this mean more stress on the rotor bearings of the generator, compared to if the current was a pretty pure sinusoid in phase with the voltage?

And also what does the attached  current, if drawn from a petrol generator, do to the bearings of the genny?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 08:56:38 am by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: PFC'd petrol generator?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 09:09:18 am »
What  PFC stage? Are you talking about a generator supplying an ordinary capacitor & rectifier vs one with active power factor correction?

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 09:17:55 am »
Will this mean more stress on the rotor bearings of the generator, compared to if the current was a pretty pure sinusoid in phase with the voltage?
From the prime mover's point of view (i.e. the internal combustion engine), bad power factor is seen as extra horsepower and fuel required to overcome I2R losses along the length of extension cable to the appliance.  Or if you turn the equation around, bad power factor means less power available from your generator.

Either way, the losses will not be significant enough to physically damage anything mechanical.

And just to be clear, electrical harmonics does not create mechanical knocking or mechanical imbalance harmonics (not large enough to wear out a bearing anyway).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 09:27:26 am by Andy Chee »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 09:24:13 am »
Harmonics are additional currents in the stator/rotor, causing more heat. Derating is required when using non linear loads.
Sometimes, harmonics can induce current paths that goes through the bearings, this is very bad.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 11:22:18 am »
Absolute worst case it would cause some variation of torque absorbed by the alternator, but seeing it is probably a 2-pole 3000rpm machine, even with a sinewave load the absorbed torque would vary twice quite a bit as the machine rotated through 360 deg anyway. In any case, there is a single piston moving up and down like mad right next door, so if the alternator bearings can tolerate this, then any electrical load would be nothing by comparison I expect.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:49:07 pm »
A teardown of a BMW i3 generator unit shows they do 3 phase PFC when rectifying to DC, of course they're trying to get the best efficiency possible on a given budget.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf