Author Topic: Prototype solar powered air conditioner system achieves 3.5 COP  (Read 1415 times)

Offline brainstormTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Prototype solar powered air conditioner system achieves 3.5 COP
« on: September 20, 2019, 11:00:37 pm »
Their claim: 165W for ~2x better power efficiency compared with regular AC systems. All calculations and details on this video:

No compressors (silent), dissecant-based system which, they claim, does not require dissecant re-filling, only water.

Thoughts?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Prototype solar powered air conditioner system achieves 3.5 COP
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 02:53:15 am »
I wonder if the efficiency could be improved by using fans optimized more for airflow rather than static pressure.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 06:14:51 am »
what is the German company making these desiccant ACs, and are they selling any?

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 06:26:27 am »
Their claim: 165W for ~2x better power efficiency compared with regular AC systems. All calculations and details on this video:

Not quite sure which video you watched as the sum up at the end was "not as good as the prototype would have led me to believe" and generally comparative to a conventional window a/c with a cop around 3.5.

Neat idea, but not even close to a modern high efficiency split (some with a cop ~6).

The reference to the German company was using dessicant in conjunction with a conventional refrigeration cycle to pre-dry the air being cooled and use the waste heat to drive the dessicant regeneration. Again, neat idea.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 07:15:09 pm »
This kind of stuff is only interesting if you have a source of low grade heat ... and a solar collector doesn't count, because PV is more cost effective.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 08:27:55 pm »
Absorption chillers have been a thing for the best part of a century at this point, using the sun to provide the hot side is a fairly obvious approach.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:23:29 pm »
A Dutch company went another route using solar (or waste heat) for cooling. It seems they use a resonating pressure wave (*) to create cold and hot zones in a system. Pretty nifty:
https://newatlas.com/soundenergy-thermoacoustic-cooling/58169/

* Journalists have dumbed it down to sound waves but I think this isn't an accurate description.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 01:05:52 pm »
This kind of stuff is only interesting if you have a source of low grade heat ... and a solar collector doesn't count, because PV is more cost effective.
I'm interested to know the total system cost compared to a compressor A/C running from PV via a VFD. Main problem I see is that most off the shelf compressors have a limited dynamic range, making it more complex to effectively use PV without additional energy storage. Once I get around to building such a device, I'll probably add batteries and/or multiple compressors of different sizes to allow operation over a wider range. The main energy storage mechanism would be making ice in large tanks.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »
Tech ingredients make some interesting stuff but sometimes I wonder if he is just trying to look clever as either the detail is so diluted i get bored or they just skip stuff entirely. Did a couple of videos on making a lovely looking boat and we never even got to see the damn thing float!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf