Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Rapid charging of a 400V 11000uF capacitor.

<< < (2/2)

jonpaul:
OP beware of extreme safety risk.

At 400VDC even 1 j or 1 uF can be shocking.

The thought of a 400V 11miliFD is frightning 

Jon

Someone:

--- Quote from: jonpaul on May 27, 2024, 07:42:18 am ---OP beware of extreme safety risk.

At 400VDC even 1 j or 1 uF can be shocking.

The thought of a 400V 11miliFD is frightning 

Jon
--- End quote ---
Safety standards put 400V 100nF as still dangerous to life!

Wolfgang:
400V/11mF is a preferred method of seriously shortening your finger if you are silly enough to touch it  >:D

jonpaul:
Please can the  OP to state their level of experience and actual project end goal?

In 1970s..1990s,  we worked  with flash , radar pulsers and exploding wire HV stored energy.
 if you crowbar a large cap  can blow the tip off a large screwdriver if you crowbar a large cap.

Shock caused muscle contraction leads to jump/falls and  secondary damage.
Besides shock and burns, those who have pacemakers are especially susceptible.

Use the rules of Nikola Tesla (NOT THE CAR!!)  Keep one hand in the pocket, wear thick solde rubber shoes.
Add a bleeder reisistor across any HV cap or alrge lytic > 200V

Jon

jbb:
At these energy levels, I also recommend safety glasses for flying debris and ear protection. Any shorts etc. will be quite violent.

Also, the thought occurs that normal-rating electrolytic capacitors may not perform well (ie die early and violently) if used for pulse discharge operation.

In terms of topology…
- What’s your minimum expected voltage on the cap bank after firing?
- I would recommend an isolated topology if possible so you don’t accidentally energise the battery pack to 400V
- I suggest you have a look at https://magna-power.com/learn/white-paper/current-fed-power-processing for a nice rugged topology (see Figure 3)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version