Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Resonant Inverter: Amplitude to Voltage?

(1/2) > >>

johnywhy:
I've read the Vout of a resonant inverter is lowered by increasing the oscillator frequency, pushing it above the resonant frequency of the LC tank.

Instead, why not lower Vout by reducing the amplitude of the square input oscillator, (and keep frequency the same)?

johansen:
The whole point of a resonant converter is to use switches to modulate a system under easy to switch resonant conditions.

Keeping above the resonant frequency is easier because you dont have diode recovery in the body diode of the igbt or mosfet to deal with.

You can decrease the power transfer by droppin below the resonant frequency as well as above.

temperance:
This should clarify most of your questions concerning resonant power supplies:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMZ8LHWk_2jjYz1gM9x3dpLOb3E8GLVBq

johnywhy:

--- Quote from: temperance on May 20, 2023, 09:33:47 am ---This should clarify most of your questions concerning resonant power supplies:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMZ8LHWk_2jjYz1gM9x3dpLOb3E8GLVBq

--- End quote ---

Sam's great. I've watched a lot of his videos, but i don't always understand them.

Was there a particular video that explains why we don't vary amplitude to adjust Vout?

Thx!

johnywhy:

--- Quote from: johansen on May 20, 2023, 05:34:35 am ---The whole point of a resonant converter is to use switches to modulate a system under easy to switch resonant conditions. Keeping above the resonant frequency is easier because you dont have diode recovery in the body diode of the igbt or mosfet to deal with. You can decrease the power transfer by droppin below the resonant frequency as well as above.
--- End quote ---

Sounds like an answer to me  :)

You're saying that, reducing pulse amplitude will cause diode recovery in the body diode of the igbt or mosfet?

I understand that raising fin is preferable, because if you lower fin, then harmonics of fin could sweep down into the passband of your resonant LC tank. Correct?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version