Author Topic: "Sudden Death" Problems with Energizer Ultimate Lithium  (Read 3361 times)

Offline rgaritoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • STM32, ARM, x86, FPGA, Firmware, Linux/FreeBSD
"Sudden Death" Problems with Energizer Ultimate Lithium
« on: April 20, 2022, 02:16:05 am »
Not only is this annoying (and costly over time), but it's bugging me from an engineering standpoint:

I searched on this forum and found a discussion about this exact topic a few years ago but it was never really resolved/answered.
I also see the same topic on a few flashlight web forums and the same thing there--many people reported the issue but nobody seems to have figured it out...  (see here for one of several threads on the topic:  https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/battery-station-lithium-aa-sudden-death-again.107892/  )  I'm also seeing complaints of the same on Amazon's reviews.  So....

I have been noticing that when I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in series, after a few weeks of light use (max, sometimes it happens in a day), one of the batteries will go completely dead--no voltage at all--while the others read fine.  Replace the bad cell and the problem repeats in a few days. 

I've seen this in multiple devices, generally low current draw (remote controls, non-rechargeable battery backups for a weather radio that is normally mains powered, etc).  I use these batteries mostly because they don't leak like DuraLeak cells do...

Some on the flashlight forum were speculating that this was caused by some sort of weird failure mode triggered by being in series.  One thing I noted on Energizer's datasheet ( https://data.energizer.com/pdfs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf ) they mention that there is a PTC (self-resetting fuse) in the positive lead for safety.  Could a series connection somehow be burning these PTC's out?

Ideas?  Dave--you should run some tests in a video!

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: "Sudden Death" Problems with Energizer Ultimate Lithium
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 02:40:54 am »
I have been noticing that when I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in series, after a few weeks of light use (max, sometimes it happens in a day), one of the batteries will go completely dead--no voltage at all--while the others read fine.  Replace the bad cell and the problem repeats in a few days.

I not convinced as to how good these are for devices with a continuous high drain.  However, this is not an unknown issue with batteries with flat discharge curves used in series.  What happens is that at the end of their life, the voltage drops off rapidly and if the remaining cells still have life, they force current through the expired cell causing it to be charged in reverse polarity.  So if you replace just that cell, then another cell will be the one to run out of juice and the same thing happens again.  I'm presuming that when you say the problem repeats, you don't mean that the cell you just replaced has gone bad--if so there is something else wrong.  So always put in all new cells in a series application and replace them all when one dies. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline rgaritoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • STM32, ARM, x86, FPGA, Firmware, Linux/FreeBSD
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 03:19:37 am »
Most of the time that I paid attention, it was a different failing cell each time (different position within the series string). 

I have witnessed the weird "reverse polarity" alkaline battery issue on devices over the years a few times (where the battery reads reverse polarity).  But not on these devices.

One place I've seen it is a simple remote control  (twice so far in the same remote), where there is no power draw except when a button is pushed.  Yet one cell died completely a few days after being inserted.  I can't see how that could happen being there is no complete circuit when it's sitting there doing nothing (not a circuit that would have a CPU running in some sort of low power mode). 

The people in the attached thread above on the other forum are referring to flashlights.  So when it's off, it's off.  Makes no sense whatsoever.  I'm considering taking one apart (carefully) once it fails and checking the PTC and seeing if there is anything else obvious going on.

Some are speculating that the physical construction is causing the connection to break internally due to spring pressure, even.

These batteries are considerably more expensive than alkaline, so it gets expensive when this keeps happening.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 05:15:01 am »
Some are speculating that the physical construction is causing the connection to break internally due to spring pressure, even.

I haven't seen this problem, but I don't think it could be caused by the physical construction.  Such a failure mode would result in batteries that were dead in the package and that doesn't seem to be the case.

The only suggestion I can make is to check the devices where you've seen the problem and verify that there's no drain when the device is idle.

Note that the thread on Candlepower is from 2006 and talks about house-brand Lithium batteries from BatteryStation which don't seem to be available any more.  So it may or may not be the same problem.

Something doesn't sound right about this problem.  Almost everything uses more than one cell.  If this was a real problem, it would be a big deal instead of something that's been floating around for 16 years!

Ed

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Faringdon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 10:50:03 am »
Are you using them in very high or very low  temps?
Really it sounds like you could do with either a balancer circuitry in there...or just simple "stopper" circuitry which stops the pack discharging once any cell goes below  the minimum allowable  cell voltage threshold.
...and Ditto....stops the pack from being further charged when any cell goes above the "too high" threshold.

Bad batteries are a real problem....i once worked in a company whose whole existence span round trying to alleviate "bad cell in a pack" issues.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 10:52:28 am by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 07:26:48 pm »
It could be an internal contamination issue, leading to a high self-discharge.

Test the voltages before use, see if you have mismatches.

Also, one factor is that their voltage seems to drop near instantly t the from 1.2V to 0.
Many loads are not designed to alert the user with that kind of sharp dropping characteristic, and that kind of higher voltage for a low SOC.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:14:02 pm by f4eru »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf