Author Topic: Supercapacitor energy storage and energy server from KiloWatt Labs  (Read 29849 times)

Offline Dave Keenan

Re: Supercapacitor energy storage and energy server from KiloWatt Labs
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2018, 08:21:42 am »
If you haven't been following the AEVA thread on the Kilowatt Labs "supercapacitors", you might want to check out the new stuff. Arvio continue to post test videos, and continue to deny the obvious. They also have a new USB-rechargeable AA-sized device. See
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=67234#p67234

Offline Dave Keenan

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2018, 09:00:17 am »
 Kilowatt Labs "supercapacitor" fire, before and after photos here:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=69713#p69713

Offline sibeen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:49 am »
Dave K, thanks for that. I had an hour or two I needed to kill this evening and that thread over at AEVA was amusing enough to keep me giggling :)

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2018, 08:20:37 pm »
I have been away for some months.

This turned out pretty much exactly as expected...
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline my2cents2

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2018, 07:45:57 am »
Prototype ultra(super)capacitor module builder and tester here. (Not an english grammar major ^_^)

This topic is pretty old now but I was reading through it and felt like chiming in a bit.

With several years of experience testing full modules, 6-36 cells, 1200f-3000f each cell, capactior banks, I have never seen them explode. Only ooze and leak when overcharged or shorted internally from miss wire. We could charge and discharge these things(full banks) at more than 100A without a problem. Balancing circuits were needed for each cell but the modules themselves were just simple 6 to 36 packs of coke can sized capacitors.

Our customers were heavy machines and buses and the these things took a beating a kept truckin. We vibe tested and dropped many modules and fail tests always exceeded our expectations.

The dangers came when these things VENTed from being overcharged. When the salt water solution inside boiled and vented, it created some gas which was cancerous on a very small scale so we still had to label that.(without boiling it wasnt cancerous) In an outdoor scenario apparently, no amount of the gas could "harm you" because it disperses quickly.

The biggest accident our customers had was with an entire shipping container full of caps. Maybe it was 2-4000V I cant remember but they wired the capacitors in such a way, without the supplied cables from us, that one module shorted and fried an entire rack of caps. Luckily no one was injured or died and they revamped safety measure after that.

The biggest non selling point was the weight for mobile applications. We started to fill them with thermal compound to disperse the heat and it made these things even more durable. However you'd break your back lifting them.

It was all good tech but the company had trouble reducing the cost lower than $38 per can if I remember.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »
What an interesting thread.

Are the Kilowatt Labs "Super-Capacitors" really based on graphene as in insulator?
Are graphene based supercapacitors on the market now?
If so, that seems a huge breaktrough technology.
Who makes them?

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2018, 04:11:12 pm »
No, no, yes it would be, no one.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2018, 04:39:11 pm »
So, the whole thing is a hoax / lie ?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2018, 05:12:40 pm »
Yes, it's a scam ... to not dare to call it that at this point would be simple cowardice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf