Electronics > Power/Renewable Energy/EV's

Tesla Battery Storage Project to Power Electric Grid

(1/2) > >>

Gary350z:
Look what there going to build by me in California; a lithium-ion battery storage facility to power the electric grid.

See attachment.

Is this economically feasible?

They say they are going to build the whole facility and have online in only 3.5 months.

Don't lithium-ion batteries have a life time of about 200 charges? So in about 200 days you have to buy a new set of batteries?

Attention Dave, this ones just right for you to analyze.

Neilm:

--- Quote from: Gary350z on September 30, 2016, 09:10:31 am ---
Don't lithium-ion batteries have a life time of about 200 charges? So in about 200 days you have to buy a new set of batteries?

--- End quote ---

Depends on how deeply discharged the cells are. If the cell is only discharged to 40% it will last much longer than if it is fully discharged.

Ice-Tea:
Makes sense if you want to live off-grid I suppose.

Otherwise:

Grid-Operator: "Hey, we have some troubles keeping our grid balanced with all the green energy and all, like to lend a hand?"
House Owner: "Sure thing, Billy Bob, let me install this 15k$ device in my home you can use for FREE!"

So, uhm, no.

David Hess:

--- Quote from: Gary350z on September 30, 2016, 09:10:31 am ---Is this economically feasible?
--- End quote ---

Read the fine print:

Edison and other California utilities are under a 2013 order by the state Public Utilities Commission to install 1.3 gigawatts of storage capacity by 2020.

So no, it is not economical except in the sense of avoiding fines and persecution by the state.  I bet the bank accounts of the politicians involved will benefit from that order.

Gary350z:

--- Quote from: David Hess on October 02, 2016, 06:25:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: Gary350z on September 30, 2016, 09:10:31 am ---Is this economically feasible?
--- End quote ---

Read the fine print:

Edison and other California utilities are under a 2013 order by the state Public Utilities Commission to install 1.3 gigawatts of storage capacity by 2020.

So no, it is not economical except in the sense of avoiding fines and persecution by the state.  I bet the bank accounts of the politicians involved will benefit from that order.

--- End quote ---

Yes I immediately noticed the fine print!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version