Author Topic: US Split-Phase to EU Heat Pump Not Working  (Read 1133 times)

Offline quantumTopic starter

US Split-Phase to EU Heat Pump Not Working
« on: March 08, 2024, 04:01:33 pm »
Hi, I've ordered and received an advanced heat pump from Jiangsu Micoe in Red China. It is a full inverter-driven air-to-Water heat pump, IOW the fan motor, compressor, etc, are all PWM driven. The power supply takes in line voltage and immediately converts it to DC for moderation by the controller.

It is designed for the EU market which of course has 230v on one line, neutral on another, and ground on the third. I am in the US where of course we have split-phase 240v with ground, which I thought in theory should power this machine just fine. Unfortunately it does not. I turn on the outdoor cutoff switch, and nothing. Nothing on the indoor display as well.

I've tested the voltage to it and indeed it is 240vAC. I've been without house heat through two Winters and sure would like to get this thing running. I've considered buying an EU-to-US isolation transformer, but would have to run it backwards which seems dicey, and I question whether it would help.

Engineering manual.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: US Split-Phase to EU Heat Pump Not Working
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 04:27:51 pm »
Get a multimeter (a CAT rated one for use on mains) and check the voltages. Maybe you need to turn on a switch somewhere else in the machine or open up the valves so all the pressure switches are activated. As line & neutral may be reversed at will, the unit should work on a split phase system as well. IOW: Read the installation manual carefully and follow the installation procedure step-by-step.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:29:35 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ZigmundRat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 04:34:46 pm »
If for EU market, is a 50Hz unit. That could be an issue.

Other than that, i would start with checking all the inputs and outputs for AP4 to start.  That's the power supply that feeds the motherboard.

In addition, other boards (AP2, AP5, the compressor drive board and fan driver e.g.) also take 230v, so may be sensitive to 50Hz vs 60 Hz issues.

Offline quantumTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 06:29:26 pm »
Good leads, I'll work on it.  Thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf