Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 458219 times)

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #1450 on: July 19, 2018, 05:32:40 pm »
The scandals over the renewable energy is not just a US thing is it.  And some dummy posted it had something to do with with weather.   :-DD

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1451 on: July 19, 2018, 05:39:22 pm »
Why pay more for something which does less?

Lower cost of ownership therefore lower overall cost.

More convenient for everyday use - no time and miles wasted driving to and waiting at a gas/petrol station.

Greater energy efficiency.

In most cases better performance.

If you care about it - lower CO2 and lower pollutant emissions (potentially much lower depending on how your electricity is generated).

Why pay more for something that does less?  That’s called capatistitic marketing.   That’s why people pay for bottled water instead of getting a drink for free from a drinking fountain.  It’s also why some people buy a Bentley instead of a Skoda. 

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1452 on: July 19, 2018, 05:40:18 pm »
There just don’t have the range needed for a trip to Lake Tahoe or a trip to the wine country.

:palm:

What are you taking about?  The wine country is less than 100 miles from the Bay Area. 

Lake Tahoe is about 200 miles which would be a stretch for a Chevy Bolt - though chargng while stopping for a meal would solve that issue.

Neither is an issue for Teslas give their range and the availability of their super chargers on these routes.

And of course PHEVs have no range issues at all.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1453 on: July 19, 2018, 05:52:45 pm »
There just don’t have the range needed for a trip to Lake Tahoe or a trip to the wine country.

:palm:

What are you taking about?  The wine country is less than 100 miles from the Bay Area. 

Lake Tahoe is about 200 miles which would be a stretch for a Chevy Bolt - though chargng while stopping for a meal would solve that issue.

Neither is an issue for Teslas give their range and the availability of their super chargers on these routes.

And of course PHEVs have range issues at all.

You must be ill informed.  Tesla engineers who like skiing and wine buy Volts as they don’t trust there Tesla’s to be able to make the trip reliably. 

A shot meal while the Tesla gets recharged?  Clueless.....  Tesla drivers who do try to make the trip in their Tesla they find there are many others doing The same thing.  I’ve counted 14 Tesla’s all waiting in line to get quick charge to finish the trip.  With 14 Tesla’s all waiting to get charged it would be more than a quick bite.  It would be more like a 7 course meal before they could get a charge.  And you know the part that really sucks.......  Someone has to be in the car to move it along in the queue.

In theory you are correct......  But then there is reality.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1454 on: July 19, 2018, 06:07:25 pm »
Tesla engineers who like skiing and wine buy Volts as they don’t trust there Tesla’s to be able to make the trip reliably. 
Source??

If one is trying to drive to Tahoe and back the same day, then yes, lines at Teslas charging stations would mean a wait.  But it’s a non-issue if spending the night (as many do) as long as you stay someplace where you can charge. I know someone who lives in SF with a model S that does just that.

As far as your nonsense claim about the Wine Country - there is zero issues with range getting there and back the same day without a recharge for many BEVs.

There’s no question that range can be an issue for BEVs depending on destination but the SF to wine country trip is not one of them. Tahoe could be if one wants to go there and back in one day. (I’ve done that in an ICE and it sucks spending 5-6 hours in the car just for one day of skiing).

PHEVs have no range issues of course. I think the optimal solution for the typical 2 car American family would be one BEV and one PHEV for long trips.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:21:13 pm by mtdoc »

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1455 on: July 19, 2018, 06:33:40 pm »
Tesla engineers who like skiing and wine buy Volts as they don’t trust there Tesla’s to be able to make the trip reliably. 
Source??

If one is trying to drive to Tahoe and back the same day, then yes, lines at Teslas charging stations would mean a wait.  But it’s a non-issue if spending the night (as many do) as long as you stay someplace where you can charge. I know someone who lives in SF with a model S that does just that.

As far as your nonsense claim about the Wine Country - there is zero issues with range getting there and back the same day without a recharge for many BEVs.

There’s no question that range can be an issue for BEVs depending on destination but the SF to wine country trip is not one of them. Tahoe could be if one wants to go there and back in one day. (I’ve done that in an ICE and it sucks spending 5-6 hours in the car just for one day of skiing).

PHEVs have no range issues of course. I think the optimal solution for the typical 2 car American family would be one BEV and one PHEV for long trips.

You're arguing with the same guy that said very little of my energy comes from Hydroelectric (90% of it does here).  He's here to talk about nuclear, not Electric Cars.  He's also very confused about the availability of charging stations between the HQ of Tesla, and the Battery Provider of Tesla (outside Reno). There are a *lot*

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, mtdoc

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1456 on: July 19, 2018, 07:18:03 pm »

You're arguing with the same guy that said very little of my energy comes from Hydroelectric (90% of it does here).  He's here to talk about nuclear, not Electric Cars.  He's also very confused about the availability of charging stations between the HQ of Tesla, and the Battery Provider of Tesla (outside Reno). There are a *lot*

Yeah, you’re right. In his short time here he has a history of repeatedly making unsubstantiated claims.

I suspect he saw a line at a Tesla charging station and generalized.  Hell, when I used to live in the Bay area and drive to Tahoe for a ski weekend, it was not uncommon to see long lines at gas stations in Tahoe on Sunday night due to poor planning by ICE drivers. Ther are surely Tesla drivers who do the same.

Wow, that is a lot of charging stations! I had no idea there were so many.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1457 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05:27 pm »
Hell, when I used to live in the Bay area and drive to Tahoe for a ski weekend, it was not uncommon to see long lines at gas stations in Tahoe on Sunday night due to poor planning by ICE drivers.

But as it only takes minutes not hours to refill an ICE those queues are quick.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1458 on: July 19, 2018, 08:34:29 pm »
Go to Brodaway Cheverlot on any day and you can find Tesla engineers either buying a Volt or getting it serviced and talk to them.  Or rather talk to their wives as they complain about the distance limatiotions of Teslas.  Or got to Tahoe during ski season and talk to them.
Or better yet go to Vacaville on a weekend and look at all of the Tesla’s waiting to get a charge so they can make it home.

As for a trip to the wine country.  Can you tell me where all of the charging stations are in Sonoma?   Yes there are some, but have you ever been to the wine country on a weekend?   Where exactly are the Tesla folks going to get a charge to make it home?

Again yes there are some charging stations but not enough for the number of people who need charges when they need them.

Need more proof?  Use your head and do a bit of math.  If 500 Teslas all drive to Tahoe or Sanoma for the weekend. Now lets’s be extremely generous and say there are 75 or even 100 charging stations.  Now most people ski or wine taste all day which means they more or less al leave when the lifts/tasting rooms close.  So now you have 500 Teslas all looking for a charge more or less at the same time.   What evidence do you have that Tesla’s won’t be lined up waiting for a charge.

Just do the math.  Of course there are going to be Teslas lined up to be charged.  It’s a simple calculation.

I can’t imagine Tesla is going to install more charging stations on either weekend rate for increased capacity which would only be used a few weekends per year.

With a Volt all of this is a non-issue as long as there are petrol stations. 

Volt is the perfect transition car.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1459 on: July 19, 2018, 08:45:04 pm »
Hell, when I used to live in the Bay area and drive to Tahoe for a ski weekend, it was not uncommon to see long lines at gas stations in Tahoe on Sunday night due to poor planning by ICE drivers.

But as it only takes minutes not hours to refill an ICE those queues are quick.

The point is that seeing a line at a Tesla charging station is not indicative of the usual wait for charging and given the numerous charging stations available, points more to poor planning by some Tesla drivers just like there is poor planning by some ICE drivers.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1460 on: July 19, 2018, 09:06:43 pm »

As for a trip to the wine country.  Can you tell me where all of the charging stations are in Sonoma?
Now I know you're trolling. Boffin just posted a map.

Yes there are some, but have you ever been to the wine country on a weekend?
Yes

Where exactly are the Tesla folks going to get a charge to make it home?
  :palm:  Why would they need to charge?. It's less than 100 miles round trip from SF to Napa.   It's less than 200 miles round trip between most of the wineries in the wine country and most of the Bay area and less than 250 miles from the southern tip of the SF Bay Area to the northern reach of the Sonoma/Napa wine country. 

I'm beginning to think you've never been there.

But of course if they wanted to charge there are multiple options as the map Boffin posted shows.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:09:49 pm by mtdoc »

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, boffin

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1461 on: July 19, 2018, 09:52:00 pm »

As for a trip to the wine country.  Can you tell me where all of the charging stations are in Sonoma?

Yes

:palm:  Why would they need to charge?. It's less than 100 miles round trip from SF to Napa.   It's less than 200 miles round trip between most of the wineries in the wine country and most of the Bay area and less than 250 miles from the southern tip of the SF Bay Area to the northern reach of the Sonoma/Napa wine country. 

But of course if they wanted to charge there are multiple options as the map Boffin posted shows.

I think he must be trolling, especially the unwillingness to discuss EV cars, and not nuclear in this thread.

As for my map, it is a little misleading, it doesn't show all charging stations, only those compatible with my car; so there's actually more.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1462 on: July 19, 2018, 09:58:13 pm »
Also, has anyone noticed that if you want a CVT that lasts, pretty much your only affordable option is a Toyota hybrid or plug in hybrid?
What's wrong with Toyota's CVT that are not in hybrid cars? Other people, like Honda, make satisfactory CVTs. It seems to be mostly the JATCO (subsidiary of Nissan) CVTs that have got them a bad name for reliability.
Yup, we have two Honda Civic hybrids.  One is at 150+K miles, the other is over 170K, no problem with the all-mechanical CVT.  Honda does do a bit of periodic service on them, however.  Mostly, just fluid changes.

Jon

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1463 on: July 19, 2018, 10:45:57 pm »

Yes

I think he must be trolling, especially the unwillingness to discuss EV cars, and not nuclear in this thread.

As for my map, it is a little misleading, it doesn't show all charging stations, only those compatible with my car; so there's actually more.

Why do you all anyone who has an opinion a troll?  Have you ever been to the wine country?  Don’t this so because if you had making all of the side trips one could easily need a charge before returning.

Why do you say I’m unwilling to discuss EVs.  Silly, I own one and will be buying another.  So please don’t say things which are not true.

My post had to do with folks who own Tesla’s having to wait in line to get a charge.  I hope you aren’t as obtuse is the other guy.  Point being made is Teals engineers are buying Volts so they can take trips to the wine country and to Tahoe without having to wait in line to get a charge.  The other guy thinks a handful of charging stations on the way to/from Tahoe are enough to handle all of the Teslas targeting to Tahoe and back for a weekend.

What the other guy hasn’t figured out is the place where Tesla drivers like to get a charge only has two chargaing stationss.  So lets say if there are just 200 Tesla’s who need a change those two charging stations I have seen have had a line of 14 Teslas waiting a charge.  The other guy was saying people could get a quick bite to eat while waiting for a charge.  Again he is wrong as one has to sit in the car an move it along in the queue as each car finishes.  It’s not going to be a quick bite and it’s not going to be quick either with 14 cars in line. 

The solution the Tesla engineers have found is they buy a Volt.

So dude stop show your fellow man a bit of common curtesy and read their posts before proclaiming they are a troll. 

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1464 on: July 19, 2018, 11:09:34 pm »
Not true. I've shown the math. Just to offset the purchase price you have to drive 150000km or more assuming the electricity is free and the batteries last forever. And then there is also the unknown value when you want to trade it in. The next owner is likely to need a new battery at some point.
More convenient for everyday use - no time and miles wasted driving to and waiting at a gas/petrol station.
Not true. Waiting 60 minutes at a charging station or 5 minutes at a petrol station (which is along the way anyway) for the same range is not more convenient. I for sure don't go driving around for miles to a gas station. I don't have to.
That is highly debatable and greatly dependant on how the electricity is generated.
But for a much shorter period of time and the batteries don't like the abuse either. In the end you want a functional car to go from A to B and not a fun toy. If you want a fun toy then a Ford Mustang is cheaper at US $27k compared to the average EV.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:14:44 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1465 on: July 20, 2018, 01:11:22 am »
Not true. I've shown the math.

Bullshit. What math have you shown? I own an EV. In 4 years I've already saved about $4k in fuel cost and $500 in oil and brake service not needed.

And BTW - as has previously been shown here, you can get an EV for the same price or not much more than a comparable ICE.  I paid $32K for my Volt before any rebates. 
Not true. Waiting 60 minutes at a charging station or 5 minutes at a petrol station (which is along the way anyway) for the same range is not more convenient.

Bullshit #2.  I've never waited at a charging station and neither do most EV owners.  They mostly charge at home but may also charge work, while shopping or while at a restaurant.

That is highly debatable and greatly dependant on how the electricity is generated.

It is not debatable. An EV is far more efficient at converting energy to motion than an ICE. Period.

But for a much shorter period of time and the batteries don't like the abuse either.
More bullshit. What do you mean "don't like abuse" ?  ICE don't like abuse either. There is no need to "abuse" and EVs batteries to get better performance than most equivalently priced ICE vehicles.

In the end you want a functional car to go from A to B and not a fun toy.
  Right, so why doesn't everyone just drive a 10 year old tin can costing $2k?

If you want a fun toy then a Ford Mustang is cheaper at US $27k compared to the average EV.
Of course there are so many more ICE models available that there are some bargain performance cars, but you pay a big price for those in other ways - passenger comfort and gas mileage - for example
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:23:18 am by mtdoc »

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, boffin, a59d1

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1466 on: July 20, 2018, 01:18:08 am »
Not true. I've shown the math. Just to offset the purchase price you have to drive 150000km or more assuming the electricity is free and the batteries last forever. And then there is also the unknown value when you want to trade it in. The next owner is likely to need a new battery at some point.

No, you haven't shown the math.  Your argument was "Your EV" vs "Extremely inexpensive gasoline vehicle".

I've shown the math, here, in my jurisdiction, and the EV will pay for itself in about 4 yrs (about 60,000km)
In this particular case we can compare apples to apples as the Golf is one of the few cars offered in both gasoline & electric.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/renewable-energy/when-will-electric-cars-become-mainstream/msg1624360/#msg1624360
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/renewable-energy/when-will-electric-cars-become-mainstream/msg1624282/#msg1624282

For 100km it costs me $1.18 (electricity) vs $10.23 (same car, but on gasoline @ 1.459/l, @ 7l/100km), a savings of $9.05/100 km, or 0.0905/km

So for the roughly C$5500 difference, I need to go approx 60,000km, about 4 yrs

That doesn't take into account
  • maintenance costs on the electric are WAY lower (service every 30,000km or 2yrs whichever comes 1st)
  • approx 1/3 of my charging is from courtesy charging stations at public facilities
  • price of gasoline is likely to rise faster than that of electricity in this jurisdiction

The math might not work for you, but it does for me, quite demonstratively.

EDIT: I quoted the gasoline consumption too low (it's actually 8l/100km), so the payoff is even faster
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:53:24 pm by boffin »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1467 on: July 20, 2018, 01:20:18 am »
Why do you all anyone who has an opinion a troll? 

It has nothing to do with opinion. You have repeatedly in this thread and multiple other threads, stated something as a fact without any reference or source and which are demonstrably false. When called out and shown evidence of the mistruth of your statement, you either ignore the facts and keep repeating the same statement or move onto another subject again stating things as factual (not opinion) that are not accurate and the pattern repeats over and over in multiple threads.

If you are not purposely trolling then please either back up your statements with reputable sources or make it clear that you are just offering a guess or opinion.  Once someone shows a source refuting your statement, don't just keep repeating the same statement unless you can offer an alternative reputable source backing up your statement

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1468 on: July 20, 2018, 07:49:25 am »
Well if I look at the new car models that the big manufacturers like VW are now giving details about we see not much EV, a little bit Hybrid but mostly what they wrongly call mild-hybrid because it has not much to do with the existing hybrids:

48V power besides the 12V power
48V LiIon pack possibly Solid State/supercap in coming years
Starter motor at 48V with sidefunction of torque increase
ICE motor

So it is just about saving fuel not about abandoning ICE.
These models last at least 6 to 8 years so it will not go as quick as some of you think.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1469 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:28 pm »
No, you haven't shown the math.  Your argument was "Your EV" vs "Extremely inexpensive gasoline vehicle".
No, I compared an equivalent gasoline vehicle to compare apples with apples. The Ford Focus is targeted at the same audience as the VW Golf and thus lives in the same price range and has similar abilities. You are just proving my point that you seek justification for your purchase and therefore choose to ignore/warp the numbers. That is a natural reaction (kinda like Fungus pushing the Rigol DS1054Z to everyone).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:51:53 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1470 on: July 20, 2018, 05:09:54 pm »
No, I compared an equivalent gasoline vehicle to compare apples with apples. The Ford Focus is targeted at the same audience as the VW Golf and thus lives in the same price range and has similar abilities. You are just proving my point that you seek justification for your purchase and therefore choose to ignore/warp the numbers.

Let me just summarize what you're saying:

"A VW Golf vs VW eGolf isn't apples to apples, but a Ford Focus*1 vs VW eGolf is apples to apples".

Sorry, but you're so wrong here.

*1: with an engine not available in my market

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1471 on: July 20, 2018, 05:40:58 pm »
Source??

Your map is proving my point.....  Just look at how few charging stations there are on Hwy 50 and 80 for the number of cars that travel to Tahoe for a ski weekend.   Sure there are charginign stations which miles from the freeway but just consider how silly these options are for EV car owners.  They either have to wait in line to get a charge at a charging stations close tot he freeway and possibly wait in line for hours.  Or they can Or they can drive miles out of there way searching for a charging station and possibly wait in line there too.

And holy crap if EV drivers aren’t really screwed if they are going to Kirkwood.  How they hack can they avoid not being in a line. 

Have you ever been to Tahoe on a ski weekend with an EV?  Or are you just trolling.  Not sure how any EV driver could do any planning for it.  Is it possible to reserve a charging time days in advance?  And what happens if you are a late because of traffic.     

And just look how much worse it is for people traveling to the wine country.  They are really screwed as there are places that don’t even have chargaing stations.  Just look on the map.  Sure they are along 101 but why would someone want to drive for miles out of their way to get a charge.

Have you ever driven to the wine country with an EV on a busy weekend recently?  Or is this you attempt at just being a super asshole troll?

For some guy who is quick to call people who own and EV and make these getaways often I’m giving you an eyewitness report of what I have seen.  Can you say the same?

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1472 on: July 20, 2018, 05:58:43 pm »
You have repeatedly in this thread and multiple other threads, stated something as a fact without any reference or source and which are demonstrably false. When called out and shown evidence of the mistruth of your statement, you either ignore the facts and keep repeating the same statement or move onto another subject again stating things as factual (not opinion) that are not accurate and the pattern repeats over and over in multiple threads.

Yep. And the pattern repeats. ::)

The following users thanked this post: boffin

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1473 on: July 20, 2018, 06:05:00 pm »

"A VW Golf vs VW eGolf isn't apples to apples, but a Ford Focus*1 vs VW eGolf is apples to apples".

No no, he didn't say "A VW Golf vs VW eGolf isn't apples to apples", the rest is correct, and true.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1474 on: July 20, 2018, 06:19:19 pm »

No no, he didn't say "A VW Golf vs VW eGolf isn't apples to apples", the rest is correct, and true.

If your argument is that there will always be some cheap, crappy, poorly performing ICE vehicle way cheaper than some particular EV - then you've lost.

And even the cheap tin can cars will probably cost you more in the long run.

Why do any of us buy quality tools?  Why don't we all just buy $10 multimeters, $200 DSOs, and cheap crappy hand tools?...

And if the true cost of ownership is the most important factor, in what alternate universe is saving $50-100 (or more!) in fuel costs per month not financially sound?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf