Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 458188 times)

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #2475 on: December 09, 2018, 05:11:16 am »

I pay about $20 a year extra on my auto insurance for free roadside assistance and towing. I've never needed to use it to be towed. I have used when I've run out of gas...

I do also.  And have had to use it on a couple of occasions.  Where I discovered that the free roadside assistance and towing is actually free roadside assistance and three miles of free towing.  Murphy being ever present, three miles was not close to enough in either case.  You might want to check the fine print in your policy to see if you have a similar situation.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2476 on: December 09, 2018, 07:34:52 am »
It might help if you read what I said.  Three of the five sentences there were to emphasize what your point was.  But it wasn't what you said.  You said they rave about being able to plug in every night.  This is in a comment about separating fact from opinion.

But they do rave about being able to plug it in at night, because it's a convenient alternative to going to a gas station and stopping to fill up as they had to do previously. Do I really need to explicitly explain that it is not the actual act of plugging it in that they enjoy doing but the fact that they effortlessly have a fully fueled car each day? Can you not figure that out from what I said? Are you just trolling me or are you actually serious? Jeez some of you guys take pedantry to a whole new level.

If I could easily convert my car so I could just plug it in after pulling into my garage and let it charge (or fill the gas tank) while I sleep I would jump on that in a heartbeat, it would be a fantastic convenience, I hate having to drive out of my way to go to a gas station when I'd rather just get home. That won't work for everybody, so what? Nobody here has ever claimed that it will. The people it won't work with should stick with ICE powered cars, liquid fuel is a superior option for people who can't plug in and charge at home, but why do people pretend there aren't tens of millions of people who can? I'm not sure what causes the "it won't work for me therefor it won't work for anyone" attitude, mental illness? It's quite frankly bizarre. I see EV's driving around every day, I know people who had had them for years now, several of my neighbors have them charging in their garages and driveways right now. To the point of this thread, they *already are* mainstream, hundreds of thousands of them are on the road, it's a bit silly to argue otherwise.

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2477 on: December 09, 2018, 08:34:13 am »
But they do rave about being able to plug it in at night, because it's a convenient alternative to going to a gas station and stopping to fill up as they had to do previously. Do I really need to explicitly explain that it is not the actual act of plugging it in that they enjoy doing but the fact that they effortlessly have a fully fueled car each day?
..........If I could easily convert my car so I could just plug it in after pulling into my garage and let it charge (or fill the gas tank) while I sleep I would jump on that in a heartbeat, it would be a fantastic convenience, I hate having to drive out of my way to go to a gas station when I'd rather just get home
Exactly. I did not buy an EV for that reason. In fact, It never occurred to me before owning one. But it turns out that is my favorite part of EV ownership. Someone dismissing that feature who does not drive an EV daily is talking out of their arse.

That won't work for everybody, so what? Nobody here has ever claimed that it will. The people it won't work with should stick with ICE powered cars, liquid fuel is a superior option for people who can't plug in and charge at home, but why do people pretend there aren't tens of millions of people who can? I'm not sure what causes the "it won't work for me therefor it won't work for anyone" attitude, mental illness? It's quite frankly bizarre.
. Yep. Is it fear of change? Missing out? Tribalism?  It reminds me of the “DSOs are crap” crowd years ago.   Personally, I love ICEs . If only oil was a limitless, low pollution resourse.....

I see EV's driving around every day, I know people who had had them for years now, several of my neighbors have them charging in their garages and driveways right now. To the point of this thread, they *already are* mainstream, hundreds of thousands of them are on the road, it's a bit silly to argue otherwise.
Yes they are. That question has been answered in the year since this thread began. Now there’s just a few vocal ICE only holdouts who want to make it about EVs not being a perfect drop in ICE replacement for everyone - with no disadvantages, ever.  The problem is, no one here has ever claimed that.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2478 on: December 09, 2018, 08:43:19 am »
It might help if you read what I said.  Three of the five sentences there were to emphasize what your point was.  But it wasn't what you said.  You said they rave about being able to plug in every night.  This is in a comment about separating fact from opinion.
But they do rave about being able to plug it in at night, because it's a convenient alternative to going to a gas station and stopping to fill up as they had to do previously. Do I really need to explicitly explain that it is not the actual act of plugging it in that they enjoy doing but the fact that they effortlessly have a fully fueled car each day?
I'd say keeping a car plugged in always is a nuisance because it is something I'd typically forget. So I either find myself with an empty car or driving away with it still plugged in (been there, done that) OR if the car has a warning system I'd have to get out again and unplug it. With an ICE I fill it up once in a while and be done with it. The car is ready to go when I want to leave and I can dump it wherever there is a spot when I get back. The car is there for me and not vice versa. I'm not sure I always lock it but that is something it seems to do by itself after a while.

I really don't see how plugging a car in wherever you park it is in any way better than filling it up every once in a while. That is changing one action for a lot of actions (=doing more and not less). That just can't be better by any definition. Perhaps plugging their cars in makes EV owners feel good for some reason but it doesn't make any sense from a practical & functional perspective.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:02:45 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2479 on: December 09, 2018, 01:14:45 pm »
I just started reading this thread and I did not go back and read all 99 pages, so if someone already mentioned this so be it.

Some of the new EV’s charge via what sounds like an induction pad that sits on the floor of your garage, so you don’t even need to plug it in, just park.

Personally I love the sound and feel of a big solid roller cam V8 (I have one in my vintage Mustang), but the writing is clearly on the wall, these monsters are dinosaurs living on borrowed time. My next car will likely be a Tesla.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2480 on: December 09, 2018, 05:03:14 pm »
Maybe I have to make really simple.  Always leaving the house with a full tank is what people are raving about.  Not having to make an extra stop away from home is what the benefit is.  Having to plug it in at night isn't what makes it great, it is the small price you pay for those other desirable things. 

This is the kind of crap that happens when people are so invested in winning that they are no longer really paying attention to the other half.  I'll own up to my half of this, I shouldn't be writing this post.  Do you see yours?

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2481 on: December 09, 2018, 05:10:09 pm »
Also not factoring in sometimes people forget to plug-in thye chargeing cable when they get home.  Like leaving a kid in a car sometimes it happens.  Happened to me...  Forgetting to plug-in charging cable.  Happened to my neighbor.  She left her infant in the car and buybthe time she remembered the kid was dead.  It was only abou 75/24 degrees that day.

Then in California there’s another issues with BEVs.  With the wild fires here in California people are  talking about not having a charged vehicle to escape a wild fire.  In the four devastating wild fires here people were woken-up in the middle of the night and told to evacuate immediately.  If the batteries aren’t charged or power was cut they might not have an escape vehicle.  Or leave them in the path of the on coming fire.

People with ICE cars typically don’t drive home if the car is almost out of gas.

And then what about people who face other natural disaster wher they need to be evacuated?  Hurricanes, toranados, flooding or days without power.

I live in the wild fire zone and have a PHEV.  I feel I have the best of both world.  Not sure I wold feel the same if. I had a BEV.  When I was buying my PHEV There was a guy who drove into the dealership with a BEV begging to use there charger.  He din’t have enough charge left to get home.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2482 on: December 09, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »
Maybe I have to make really simple.  Always leaving the house with a full tank is what people are raving about.
But why is that necessary at all...? IMHO lack of range! If you do the math it is likely that an EV owner spends more time plugging/unplugging and searching for a parking spot with a charger than it would take to fill up an ICE based car every once in a while. A typical ICE has enough fuel left to travel 80km in any condition when the 'now I need a drink' light goes on. In cold winter conditions the range of some EVs drops to less than 150km (unless the driver likes to freeze to death). Range anxiety still is a real thing. OTOH I'm not going to fill up my car to the brim if there is enough fuel in the tank to cover the distance. And if there isn't enough I'll just stop somewhere for a quick refill. The whole 'plugging in everywhere is better than filling up once in a while' idea is utterly moronic if you really think about it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:59:56 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2483 on: December 09, 2018, 06:54:01 pm »
Maybe I have to make really simple.  Always leaving the house with a full tank is what people are raving about.
But why is that necessary at all...? IMHO lack of range! If you do the math it is likely that an EV owner spends more time plugging/unplugging and searching for a parking spot with a charger than it would take to fill up an ICE based car every once in a while. A typical ICE has enough fuel left to travel 80km in any condition when the 'now I need a drink' light goes on. In cold winter conditions the range of some EVs drops to less than 150km (unless the driver likes to freeze to death). Range anxiety still is a real thing. OTOH I'm not going to fill up my car to the brim if there is enough fuel in the tank to cover the distance. And if there isn't enough I'll just stop somewhere for a quick refill. The whole 'plugging in everywhere is better than filling up once in a while' idea is utterly moronic if you really think about it.

As someone who owns a PHEV I have to search or both.  And with electricity cost to recharge either free or about one quarter of gas I always try to fill-up with the free electrons.

I would not say I spend more time looking for a electron re-fueling station than I would for a petro re-fueling station.  In fact I would say I spend less far less time re-fueling with electrons as it is far more convenient and takes less of my time.  In fueling with petro I have to wait and waste my time as the car gets filled up.  With electron fuel I plug in and do what it is I have to do.  No need for me to watch the numbers increasing and that feeling of spending all of that money while waiting at the pump. 

Just my data point.  I find electron re-fueling far easier and less time consuming than having to go to a gas station.  And there is one more Hugh plus in NOT having to buy gas....  My hands and car do not smell of gasoline after electron re-fueling.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2484 on: December 09, 2018, 06:59:35 pm »
For the smell they have free gloves over here. But let's run some numbers here. Say you have a 60km (back & forth) daily commute and you plug in at work as well. Say that plugging / unplugging takes 15 seconds each time so 60 seconds (=1 minute) a day. A reasonably ICE has a range ot about 700km. That means you can drive 11 days straight with one fuel stop. Over here (in Europe I mean) they have many gas station with pumps where you can pay directly so no need to wait before paying. Refuelling at such a gas station takes 5 minutes at most. So in those 11 days you'll spend 11 minutes on the EV versus 5 minutes with the ICE. If fueling time is so important then who is the crazy person here?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:01:09 pm by nctnico »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2485 on: December 09, 2018, 07:17:05 pm »

More talking out the arse by someone who doen't own an EV and has zero personal experience with them.

Most BEVs now have range close or equal to ICE vehicles - so "filling up" daily is not necessary.  But why not fill up daily when it is cheap and painless?. Why do I plug my phone in every night even though in reality a charge can last several days? 

I have a friend who recently bought a Tesla Model 3. She does not have a high level charger installed yet at home and originally thought she would use the free public charger a block from her office to fill up once a week.  But it turns out she says it's just easier to top off the batteries every night at home with the 120V charger that came with the car.  And over the recent Thanksgiving holiday, her and her family drove it 350 miles each way to visit family. No problem.

Again - your constant nonsense is just like all the ranting a few years ago about all the short comings of DSOs by people who had never actually used one.  In the end it turns out there are only a few niche areas where analog scopes have an advantage over DSOs. 

EVs are now mainstream. As time goes on the edge cases where an ICE vehicle is the better solution will become a smaller and small subset of all vehicle use.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2486 on: December 09, 2018, 07:37:16 pm »
Most BEVs now have range close or equal to ICE vehicles - so "filling up" daily is not necessary.
Which BEVs are you talking about? AFAIK none of the commercially available -let alone affordable- EVs have >700km range. And things get much worse when taking battery wear and cold/hot wheather into account.

And now suddenly daily charging isn't necessary? Make up your mind folks. One says EV owners want a topped-up car every day and the other says they don't? What is it???  :-//

And EVs are mainstream? With (pure EV) sales figures of only a few percent?  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:39:47 pm by nctnico »

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2487 on: December 09, 2018, 09:47:32 pm »
For the smell they have free gloves over here. But let's run some numbers here. Say you have a 60km (back & forth) daily commute and you plug in at work as well. Say that plugging / unplugging takes 15 seconds each time so 60 seconds (=1 minute) a day. A reasonably ICE has a range ot about 700km. That means you can drive 11 days straight with one fuel stop. Over here (in Europe I mean) they have many gas station with pumps where you can pay directly so no need to wait before paying. Refuelling at such a gas station takes 5 minutes at most. So in those 11 days you'll spend 11 minutes on the EV versus 5 minutes with the ICE. If fueling time is so important then who is the crazy person here?

Try fueling in the United States?  Gas prices in the same town on the same street can vary as much as $0.80 per gallon if you include membership gas stations such as Costco.  Right now, midday if one were to buy gasoline at Costco which has  18 pumps there is a 10 to 15 minute wait.  Then add to the the 10 to 20  minutes it takes to fuel the car and pay for the gas.

Takes me less than 5 seconds to plug the charger into my car when I get home and another 5 seconds to unplug in the morning.  And since I have  PHEV I still have to go to a gas station once a month or so.  Going to the gas station is a real pain in the ass/waste of time.  I for one like the time saving comviemce of charging.

Again I am just one data point.  But unlike many here who don’t have an EV and are speculating, I am providing empirical data.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2488 on: December 10, 2018, 01:43:35 am »

Again - your constant nonsense is just like all the ranting a few years ago about all the short comings of DSOs by people who had never actually used one.  In the end it turns out there are only a few niche areas where analog scopes have an advantage over DSOs. 
Many of us, in the early days, approached DSOs with great enthusiasm, only to be disappointed by their lack of utility in many (then) mainstream activities.

They just couldn't do the job!
This wasn't anything to do with the fact they were DSOs, it was things like tiny memory, necessitating reduction of the sample rate to very low values if long time/div settings were used.

To many mainstream folk, looking at signals with high frequency components, whilst using time/div settings round 5ms/div were everyday activities.
The classic case, is, of course, analog video----- early DSOs were battling to display video signals at line rate accurately, let alone field rate.

Before you say "Pshaw! niche area", remember, the Television industry, & it's associated transmission links were among the largest customers of Tektronix & HP for decades.

What was particularly aggravating was the, even then, dismissal of our objections as us being "technological Dinosaurs ", "Luddites", etc.
It wasn't even a generational thing, the same problems were recognised by Techs & EEs from their 20's to their '50s.

To those who never had to use Oscilloscopes in the way we, & millions of others did, our objections were dismissed as "nit picking".

Today's DSOs have become a mature technology, & can now do those tests, ironically, when they have become "niche" areas.
Their UIs have also become more "analog like" as they matured.

EVs are now mainstream. As time goes on the edge cases where an ICE vehicle is the better solution will become a smaller and small subset of all vehicle use.

But that hasn't happened yet, as with DSOs, pushing the early models as the  total answer just raises the cases (& there are many), where they are not yet appropriate.
If I was gifted an EV, I would happily work around any limitations, but if I had to buy one, I would look long & hard at those "edge cases".

Most of us are too poor to have a spare ICE vehicle sitting around doing nothing in case of long trips, so we have to "make do" with one "general purpose" car.
Jumping into my old Toyota Camry & doing a 1500km trip is something that doesn't need a lot of preparation, costs a lot less than hiring a car for the same trip, catching a long distance bus, or flying.

In the real world, (which in my case is Australia), I would have a lot more chance of picking up a tankful of fuel at a "Roadhouse" on the side of the road, a couple of hundred km from anywhere else, than recharging an EV.
OK, I don't take as many road trips as I used to, so an EV would be OK for round the City.

When I was still working, I took the train, then the bus, to work, so being even more environmentally friendly than if I drove an EV.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2489 on: December 10, 2018, 02:38:26 am »
Maybe I have to make really simple.  Always leaving the house with a full tank is what people are raving about.  Not having to make an extra stop away from home is what the benefit is.  Having to plug it in at night isn't what makes it great, it is the small price you pay for those other desirable things. 

This is the kind of crap that happens when people are so invested in winning that they are no longer really paying attention to the other half.  I'll own up to my half of this, I shouldn't be writing this post.  Do you see yours?

Yes exactly, and could you not extrapolate that from what I said? Is English not your native language? A few weeks after my friend Mike got his EV he quite literally said to me how great it was that he could just plug in the car in his driveway and it was fully charged in the morning. To me it was obvious that it was the fully charged in the morning thing that was great, the plugging in was the part that enabled this. I didn't stand there debating this with him and make him lay it out for me as I'm having to do here because I'm not ridiculously pedantic and I found the message was obvious.

At any rate he's been driving the thing daily for about 2 years now. This past summer I installed a pair of 30A 240V circuits in his garage because after a few months of having his, his wife decided she wants her own EV because she hates to deal with getting gas. The ability to just plug in like a phone instead of having to drive to a gas station, wait in line and deal with stinky liquid is literally the reason she decided to trade in her VW sedan and replace it with an EV.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2490 on: December 10, 2018, 08:23:10 pm »
Most BEVs now have range close or equal to ICE vehicles - so "filling up" daily is not necessary.  But why not fill up daily when it is cheap and painless?. Why do I plug my phone in every night even though in reality a charge can last several days? 
My 2009 Honda Civic hybrid has a 500 mile range, even with its small gas tank.

Jon

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2491 on: December 10, 2018, 08:34:42 pm »

Jon

How is it you get so much more than the other hybrid cars? 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2492 on: December 10, 2018, 08:51:40 pm »
I think my partner's Prius will go at least 400 miles, 500 may be possible. To be honest I've never tried to see how far it will go, we typically top up the tank when it is convenient to do so rather than waiting until it's almost dry and needing to fill up. This habit may be why in nearly 25 years of driving I've never run a car out of gas.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2493 on: December 11, 2018, 07:54:34 pm »
How is it you get so much more than the other hybrid cars?
Well, at least when I bought it, it was the MOST efficient hybrid available.  I have always been an efficient driver, and got significantly more mileage than other people.
Just drive at a constant speed, anticipate traffic lights, things like that.  When my Civic hybrid was relatively new, it was pretty easy to get about 56 MPG in mixed driving when it wasn't too hot or cold.  With a 10 Gallon tank, that makes it pretty easy to get 500 miles on a tank.  When the hybrid battery deteriorates, or it is very hot or cold, then mileage drops to about 46 MPG or so, and you can't quite make 500 miles.

Jon

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2494 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:49 pm »
I'm surprised no one yet has rigged up a raspberry Pi with openCV and some servos to see your EV pull in the garage and plug it in automatically.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2495 on: December 12, 2018, 12:36:18 am »
I'm sure somebody has, but to most of us that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Plugging in the car when you get home is a lot like pulling out your key and unlocking the front door or walking over to the mailbox and grabbing the mail. It's just one of those things you quickly get in the habit of doing and don't really think about because it takes an insignificant amount of effort. Would it be nice to have a pneumatic tube between my mailbox and my kitchen table? Sure, but is it worth the effort of putting one in? No way.

I do like that I can walk over to my mailbox and grab the mail though instead of taking a trip to the post office. I guess I better explain that not having to drive to the post office is the part I like, before someone says it sounds like I have so much fun grabbing the mail that I'd just keep walking to the mailbox over and over to get my day's worth of pleasure.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2496 on: December 12, 2018, 11:04:50 am »
It’s been proposed but no need for a Pi and circuitry it’t Tesla’s wireless charging.  Same technology that sort of works for your phone and cordless tooth brush, has been proposed for cars.

But why?  Takes more time to find the key for my house in my pocket and unlock my front door than it takes to plug-in the cable to charge my car.   And it sure beats haveing to find a gas station an waste tine wining for the car to be filled with gas.  I will say that is a huge plus with an EV,

I'm surprised no one yet has rigged up a raspberry Pi with openCV and some servos to see your EV pull in the garage and plug it in automatically.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2497 on: December 12, 2018, 01:44:16 pm »
It’s been proposed but no need for a Pi and circuitry it’t Tesla’s wireless charging.  Same technology that sort of works for your phone and cordless tooth brush, has been proposed for cars.

But why?  Takes more time to find the key for my house in my pocket and unlock my front door than it takes to plug-in the cable to charge my car.   And it sure beats haveing to find a gas station an waste tine wining for the car to be filled with gas.  I will say that is a huge plus with an EV,

Because people forget or have their hands full of groceries or use that as an excuse as to why EV's won't work.

And, BTW I don't brush my cordless tooth, I use a cordless toothbrush, spaces matter in compound words :)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2498 on: December 12, 2018, 02:45:10 pm »

Because people forget or have their hands full of groceries or use that as an excuse as to why EV's won't work.

And, BTW I don't brush my cordless tooth, I use a cordless toothbrush, spaces matter in compound words :)

Safari doesn't know from compound words. ;D

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2499 on: December 12, 2018, 04:18:45 pm »

Safari doesn't know from compound words. ;D

Exactly   I’vre Also found Safari autocorrects prosecution to prostitution somtoimes.  But then again maybe the folks at Apple think the two words have the same meaning.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf