Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 460091 times)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #3100 on: February 03, 2019, 06:40:05 pm »
Waymo automous cars have driven over 1 million miles and Tesla over 1 billion miles and it still looks like they drive like my 15 year old kid,  but let’s not let that get in the way of making money by collecting big data on the peole who would ride in automous vehicles.  Being able to market products to passengers in automous vehicles is where the big money is at.

This video bring up an interesting question about autonomous cars.  What happens when they come upon an accident scene where a police officer is directing traffic with hand signals?  Can the AI in the cars detect hand signals and follow them?  What if the direction is to drive out of the lane of traffic and onto the shoulder of the road?
In the video I posted there seems to be a broken car which the human drivers were negotiating quite reasonably, while the WayMo car just seems to keep moving forwards until it reaches the broken car, where the safety driver has to take action. I was amused when the journalist said that they never saw a WayMo car automatically take the left turn that leads to the WayMo depot.

Talk given at MIT in 2019 about the state of autonomous cars.
https://youtu.be/sRxaMDDMWQQ
I watched the first 5 minutes of that video, but its more like a sales pitch than a serious university talk.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3101 on: February 03, 2019, 07:12:23 pm »
Waymo automous cars have driven over 1 million miles and Tesla over 1 billion miles and it still looks like they drive like my 15 year old kid,  but let’s not let that get in the way of making money by collecting big data on the peole who would ride in automous vehicles.  Being able to market products to passengers in automous vehicles is where the big money is at.

This video bring up an interesting question about autonomous cars.  What happens when they come upon an accident scene where a police officer is directing traffic with hand signals?  Can the AI in the cars detect hand signals and follow them?  What if the direction is to drive out of the lane of traffic and onto the shoulder of the road?
In the video I posted there seems to be a broken car which the human drivers were negotiating quite reasonably, while the WayMo car just seems to keep moving forwards until it reaches the broken car, where the safety driver has to take action. I was amused when the journalist said that they never saw a WayMo car automatically take the left turn that leads to the WayMo depot.

Talk given at MIT in 2019 about the state of autonomous cars.
https://youtu.be/sRxaMDDMWQQ
I watched the first 5 minutes of that video, but its more like a sales pitch than a serious university talk.

My felling too, but continue watching.  At first I thought this might be a presentation at a symposium MIT was sponsoring.  But then the guy keep saying there will be guest speakers in the class which makes me think this is an MIT university semester long class.  But then why is he wearing a suit?  None of my professors ever wore suits.  But maybe professors wearing suits are an East Coast or MIT thing.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3102 on: February 03, 2019, 07:19:16 pm »
Well, the MIT will someday need more salesmen than professors to be able to keep running. So this is not surprising.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3103 on: February 03, 2019, 07:25:53 pm »
Well, the MIT will someday need more salesmen than professors to be able to keep running. So this is not surprising.

That is the case with every university.  Sadly UC Berkley known for physics and creating several of the elements has sold out to football.  The university spends $16 million every year on the football program to bring in $9 million in revenues.  The football coach is paid something like 4 million while the physics professors are making a fraction of that.

Just goes to show what are priorities are?  Football or reducing CO2 emissions?

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3104 on: February 03, 2019, 07:39:51 pm »
Unfortunately, the priority is to keep money flowing IMO. If your figures are right, it shows that the financial outcome is not even positive in some cases. Up to a point (which is obviously bankruptcy), it doesn't seem to matter. The whole point is to generate money flow. (Incidentally this is not restricted to universities, this is also true for some private companies, especially the bigger ones.)

Science fucked by fucked economy.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3105 on: February 04, 2019, 07:27:45 pm »
Ads cost about $0.6/hour while driving cost about $20/hour. Ads cant pay for a ride, i.e. they are not doing it for the ads.

Tesla cars are not fully autonomous, their cruise control can not be compared to a fully autonomous system like what Waymo have.

I'm certain Waymo's robocars drive better (safer) than either you or your 15 year old kid (or me, i.e. better than most humans) except in some edge cases. Why it looks a little bit hesitant in the previous video is because they are programmed to be as safe as possible, they rather err on the side of caution. That video was just made to find faults, and they followed Waymo cars around for hours (days?) and yet that was all they came up with? Looks like they are doing just fine.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3106 on: February 04, 2019, 07:55:21 pm »
Ads cost about $0.6/hour while driving cost about $20/hour. Ads cant pay for a ride, i.e. they are not doing it for the ads.

Why do you think ads can't pay for a ride?  Don't you have Megabus?  I know they are in the United States and in the England and probably in other countries.  I can travel from San Francisco to Los Angles for $1.  How?  Ads.  It is ads that allow me to travel for just $1.00.

Expect it to be worse with self driving cars.  Not only will passengers pay for the ride while the self driving companies collect for free the meta data about the passenger.  Using the app they know exactly who you are.  (Cookie.)  Then as you use your smartphone or computer in the car they will collect you meta data.  Your meta data is worth more than gold or platinum to advertisers.

The venture capitalists are the driving force behind self driving cars.  Don't you get it?  The are the ones who will determine your route and can intentionally route you buy stores and restaurants who are paying them.  During your entire trip they can alert you to specials.

I was just at a seminar in San Francisco on privacy last week.  The venture capitalists and advertising companies are fighting California's pending privacy laws.  Similar to GDRP in Europe.  With GDRP I would expect Europe to be one of the last places to get self driving cars.

Self driving cars is expected to be a multibillion if not trillion dollar business just from collecting the meta data and ad revenue.  This is the direction Ford is headed.  Have you listened to interviews with Ford's new CEO?  They are getting out of the car business and want to be in the technology and data business.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3107 on: February 04, 2019, 07:58:46 pm »
My felling too, but continue watching.  At first I thought this might be a presentation at a symposium MIT was sponsoring.  But then the guy keep saying there will be guest speakers in the class which makes me think this is an MIT university semester long class.  But then why is he wearing a suit?  None of my professors ever wore suits.  But maybe professors wearing suits are an East Coast or MIT thing.
I continued through that video and a couple of his other ones. Once he gets past the sales pitch he gets very realistic. This seems to be an annual course, where some lectures are from MIT staff, and some from senior people in the leading autonomous car companies. So far you can see some lectures from this year, and some from last year.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3108 on: February 04, 2019, 09:12:56 pm »
Why do you think ads can't pay for a ride?  Don't you have Megabus?  I know they are in the United States and in the England and probably in other countries.  I can travel from San Francisco to Los Angles for $1.  How?  Ads.  It is ads that allow me to travel for just $1.00.
No we don't have Megabus, and from what I can tell it doesn't cost $1 for most passengers:
Megabus follows the yield management model, typically used by airlines, where the lowest fares are offered to those who book early (normally, only one or two seats are sold for 1.00 per schedule), so the less popular schedules tend to be less expensive.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabus_(North_America)
The wikipedia article says nothing about the rides being ad-financed?

Expect it to be worse with self driving cars.
Maybe they will have advertising in the cars, but that's not why they are doing it. Transportation is a much bigger business than advertising.

The venture capitalists are the driving force behind self driving cars.
I wouldn't say that. Google is the driving force behind self driving cars. I think I know the reason and it has less to do with profit than one might think. But it will be very profitable for them, no doubt, and others have realised that and have jumped on the bandwagon hoping they can compete with Google (which they can't because Google has a very long head start, have hired all the best experts in the field and have a huge amount of capital they can invest if/when needed).

I was just at a seminar in San Francisco on privacy last week.  The venture capitalists and advertising companies are fighting California's pending privacy laws.  Similar to GDRP in Europe.  With GDRP I would expect Europe to be one of the last places to get self driving cars.
Collecting and selling data about people is a problem, but it has little to do with robocars.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3109 on: February 04, 2019, 09:29:50 pm »
Expect it to be worse with self driving cars.
Maybe they will have advertising in the cars, but that's not why they are doing it. Transportation is a much bigger business than advertising.
I agree. Besides that lots of people pay extra to get rid of ads nowadays. It is why Netflix and other online streaming platforms are doing so well and continue to grow . Any business relying on income from advertisements is going to fade away. It is old style thinking.
The use of ad-blockers shows a steady growth:

Using influencers like b/vloggers is the new way of doing targeted marketing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3110 on: February 04, 2019, 10:28:03 pm »
This is not about ads in the cars.  People would hate that.  It's all about collecting the meta data about you.  Do you not understand how valuable that information is?  Using YOUR meta data advertisers can have you travel down street businesses you are most likely to go spend money at.  You do realize with the self driving car app they know exactly who you are.  And with your meta data, your age, sex, race, religion, yearly income, where you live, what you like to do, political affiliation, where you like to shop and if this were Facebook over 600 pieces of profile about you.

Are you familiar with what the census data IBM was tracking for the Nazi's during World War II?  If not read the book "IBM and the Holocaust".  Spoiler alert IBM's "computers" could produce census reports to the Nazi's so they could identify and target groups of people based on race, religion, profession and what ever else would fit on an 80 column punch card.  IBM provided names and addresses as well at the rate of 25,000 people per hour per machine. 

Read the book  or the short read here
https://allthatsinteresting.com/ibm-nazis-ww2

Do you have any idea how easy it would be for an advertisers or government to target a specific group of people with meta data.  With just 200 "Like" clicks on Facebook they know with a 99% degree of accuracy who you are and have an extensive profile about you.

GDPR is something advertisers hate.  In the US we are still struggling with privacy and meta data.  Have you seen the size of the "secret" government data center in Utah the US has to collect the meta data?

To my European and especially German friends don't think you are alone with mass genocide.  Here in the United States we still haven't come to grips with slavery.  And why the Germans are teaching kids about the Holocaust, here in the United States we go out of our way not to teach or even mention the genocide we committed.  We've killed over 100 million Native American (Indianans) over the past 500 years and the sad part is we are still doing it.  We still have Native Americans living on reservations which is the American version of a concentration camp.

Sorry to go off on this privacy thing, but this is a huge issue for us here in America.   Facebooks meta data was used to influence our elections.  (Like we haven't done the same in other countries.)  But it's also been used to target African-Americans/Blacks in our country.

Do you have any idea how valuable your meta data is?  Think privacy doesn't matter?  Then give you your bank account and credit card numbers and passwords.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3111 on: February 04, 2019, 10:44:51 pm »
Sure, but I don't see what it has to do specifically with self driving cars. Your travel data is already being registered if you hadn't realised. Whenever you buy a ticket for an air plane, a boat, a train, a bus or pay for a taxi they register your data if they can (they want you to use special registered cards, or apps, credit cards, etc). If that was made illegal Google would still continue pushing their robocars because having a monopoly on transportation will be more than profitable enough without selling peoples travel data. Big data and privacy is a separate problem.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3112 on: February 04, 2019, 11:39:13 pm »
Any business relying on income from advertisements is going to fade away. It is old style thinking.
The use of ad-blockers shows a steady growth:
(...)

Certainly, but I'm not sure this business model is going away anytime soon though.

That said, when it's gone, it will probably not be good news. As DougSpindler pointed out, this will all be about your own data being sold to whoever is willing to pay for it. It has tremendous value. It's already the case, but when the advertisement business model is gone (if it ever does), that will mean that it's been replaced by something much worse and that we won't be able to escape from.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3113 on: February 04, 2019, 11:44:01 pm »
What prevents them from lobbying until ad-blockers become illegal? Looking at how things are going with copyright issues that seems to be the more likely scenario.

The original length of copyright in the United States was 14 years, and it had to be explicitly applied for. If the author wished, they could apply for a second 14‑year monopoly grant, but after that the work entered the public domain, so it could be used and built upon by others.

Today it's:

In most of the world, the default length of copyright is the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:01:59 am by apis »

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3114 on: February 05, 2019, 12:16:58 am »
What prevents them from lobbying until ad-blockers become illegal? Looking at how things are going with copyright issues that seems to be the more likely scenario.

"The original length of copyright in the United States was 14 years, and it had to be explicitly applied for. If the author wished, they could apply for a second 14‑year monopoly grant, but after that the work entered the public domain, so it could be used and built upon by others."

Today it's:

"In most of the world, the default length of copyright is the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years."

You are mistaken about copyright laws in the United States.  Take a look at "It's a Wonderful Life".  Can't remember but I think it's the death of the creator plus 100 years.  You'll need to verify.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3115 on: February 05, 2019, 12:39:02 am »
The 1998 Act extended these terms to life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever end is earlier. Copyright protection for works published before January 1, 1978, was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication date.
Source: Wikipedia 1 2

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3116 on: February 05, 2019, 01:12:39 am »
Sure, but I don't see what it has to do specifically with self driving cars. Your travel data is already being registered if you hadn't realised. Whenever you buy a ticket for an air plane, a boat, a train, a bus or pay for a taxi they register your data if they can (they want you to use special registered cards, or apps, credit cards, etc). If that was made illegal Google would still continue pushing their robocars because having a monopoly on transportation will be more than profitable enough without selling peoples travel data. Big data and privacy is a separate problem.

Guess I'm not doing a good job of explaining. Can I try again? When you buy a plane, bus or train ticket you are traveling with a heard of people on a fixed route.  Traveling in an self driving car the advertiser gets to select your route.  So let's say it's a Friday night and AI route engine looks at your profile and knows you like to drink, visit strip clubs and walk around in high heals.  Just like Google does for search ads, bars, strip clubs and women's show stores could all bid to have the car you are driving in drive slowly by their place of business.  They could pay a premium and to have the car slow and even text or Bluetooth you with an offer.  While none of these business were your destination driving by and enticing you with a promotion could change your mind.  Now if you have the car stop and make a purchase a pair of 6" stiletto heels it's a huge score for the business and the advertiser.  Using the discount code gives the advertiser more meta data specifically about you.  Just think what this one trip reveals about you.  You are a sucker for discount codes, you are persuadable and like tall heals.  See where this is going?

Now it's Sunday morning.  Do you go to church, your meta data knows.  Which church do you go to?  What do you go after church?  All of this is innocent enough, right?  If you think so, you do not understand the power of meta data and big data.  The AI meta data engine knows now if you are religious or not and what you do on Sundays.  See where this can lead?  Just think how valuable your meta data with just a couple of trips to advertisers.  Don't you think those people in the religious advising business would love to know if you go to church, how often, to which church and if you wear those pink 6" stiletto heels to church or not.

None of this would be possible if you were on a plane, train or if you used any other mass transit.  When you travel alone in a vehicle you are the target of an advertising campaign.

See were this is going?  Then lets say some dictator or religious leader comes to power and is access your meta data.  They know where you and your stiletto heels live..... But maybe not for long if the dictator prefers black stiletto heels.

You probably don't know about the story of the father who found out his teenage daughter was pregnant by Target (stores) meta data AI engine.  The daughter's meta data purchase history exposed there was no immaculate conception taking place in her bedroom.
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-incredible-story-of-how-target-exposed-a-teen-girls-pregnancy-2012-2

Your meta data profiles with an AI engine know more about you, than you know about yourself.

What meta data can and AI can tell the world about you is some scary stuff.  Good thing we don't use this in America to see who might commit a crime and arrest them before the crime is committed.  Oops, that's not true anymore...  This is something law enforcement is doing.  Questions is a society do we care if law AI gets it wrong?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:16:58 am by DougSpindler »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3117 on: February 05, 2019, 02:01:38 am »
This is not about ads in the cars.  People would hate that.  It's all about collecting the meta data about you.  Do you not understand how valuable that information is?  Using YOUR meta data advertisers can have you travel down street businesses you are most likely to go spend money at.
In that case the car would always be driving me home. I rarely go to shops. Except for food I buy 99% online and for food I always go to the same store. Also: wouldn't people get pissed off if their car takes a detour? Taxi drivers sometimes do that. Happened to me in Copenhagen (Denmark): this is the red-light district sir. In a completely unimpressed tone I told the driver I'm from Amsterdam after which the drive said sorry and turned the meter off for the rest of the trip.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3118 on: February 05, 2019, 02:23:05 am »
This is not about ads in the cars.  People would hate that.  It's all about collecting the meta data about you.  Do you not understand how valuable that information is?  Using YOUR meta data advertisers can have you travel down street businesses you are most likely to go spend money at.
In that case the car would always be driving me home. I rarely go to shops. Except for food I buy 99% online and for food I always go to the same store. Also: wouldn't people get pissed off if their car takes a detour? Taxi drivers sometimes do that. Happened to me in Copenhagen (Denmark): this is the red-light district sir. In a completely unimpressed tone I told the driver I'm from Amsterdam after which the drive said sorry and turned the meter off for the rest of the trip.

Who said anything about a detour, I never did.  The AI engine along with meta data and advertisers dollars would determine the 'best" route for you.  And it's not like you going to be able to grab the wheel or yell at the driver to take a different way.  You are the perfect target for advertisers.  Just look at what you revealed to everyone in your post.  Food stores would pay to have your car drive past their stores and entice you to come in.  And since most of what you buy is online, what if you could get the same item from a store that's right outside your door for the same price?  Would you have the car stop and buy it?

It's the advertisers job to get you to spend money and buy something you may or may not have intended to buy.  Unlike at train, plane or bus which has lots of people and a predetermined route in a self driving car the route can change and with you being the only passenger in the car you are the direct target of the advertising.  Could be through texts, Bluetooth, email, app, website or a screen in the car.  But more important is the advertisers every time you take a trip collect more meta data about you.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:57:13 pm by DougSpindler »

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3119 on: February 05, 2019, 03:11:02 am »
I still don't think robocars will make much of a difference when it comes to collecting data about people. Either way, it's not specific to self driving cars so why single them out?. Here in Sweden they made it legal for the US military to collect raw internet traffic data a few years ago. That worries me a whole lot more than directed advertising. It means the US military have access to much more data already than what a robotaxi operator could dream about collecting from their passengers. So robotaxis won't make much of a difference, and the way to fix that problem is by making spying illegal, not hold back self driving car technology.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3120 on: February 05, 2019, 03:20:59 am »
I still don't think robocars will make much of a difference when it comes to collecting data about people. Either way, it's not specific to self driving cars so why single them out?. Here in Sweden they made it legal for the US military to collect raw internet traffic data a few years ago. That worries me a whole lot more than directed advertising. It means the US military have access to much more data already than what a robotaxi operator could dream about collecting from their passengers. So robotaxis won't make much of a difference, and the way to fix that problem is by making spying illegal, not hold back self driving car technology.

Guess that's a difference between Sweden and the United States.  Let me say it again.  Venture capitalists are pushing to get robocars on the road not to make money from the trips or car sales.  What they are after is the meta data and the advertising revenue.  They can already see the huge profits which can be made from meta data of passengers.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3121 on: February 05, 2019, 09:22:16 am »

"The original length of copyright in the United States was 14 years, and it had to be explicitly applied for. If the author wished, they could apply for a second 14‑year monopoly grant, but after that the work entered the public domain, so it could be used and built upon by others."

Today it's:

"In most of the world, the default length of copyright is the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years."

You are mistaken about copyright laws in the United States.  Take a look at "It's a Wonderful Life".  Can't remember but I think it's the death of the creator plus 100 years.  You'll need to verify.
They call the US copyright act the Disney act for a reason. It extended Disney's copyright on early movies just enough to keep them in copyright, without being so long that it would bring things like Tchaikovsky's ballet scores into copyright.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3122 on: February 05, 2019, 10:22:18 am »

Today it's:

They call the US copyright act the Disney act for a reason. It extended Disney's copyright on early movies just enough to keep them in copyright, without being so long that it would bring things like Tchaikovsky's ballet scores into copyright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States

The copyright law of the United States is intended to encourage the creation of art and culture by rewarding authors and artists with a set of exclusive rights. Copyright law grants authors and artists the exclusive right to make and sell copies of their works, the right to create derivative works, and the right to perform or display their works publicly. These exclusive rights are subject to a time limit, and generally expire 70 years after the author's death. In the United States, any music composed before January 1, 1923, is generally considered public domain.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3123 on: February 05, 2019, 12:17:25 pm »
Who said anything about a detour, I never did.  The AI engine along with meta data and advertisers dollars would determine the 'best" route for you.  And it's not like you going to be able to grab the wheel or yell at the driver to take a different way. 
A detour is a detour. I wouldn't buy a self driving car if I can't influence the route it will take.
You are the perfect target for advertisers.  Just look at what you revealed to everyone in your post.  Food stores would pay to have your car drive past their stores and entice you to come in.  And since most of what you buy is online, what if you could get the same item from a store that's right outside your door for the same price?  Would you have the car stop and buy it?
No because it is not the designated food store which has everything I need in one go. Visiting multiple stores is a waste of money. I needed some time to teach my wife that visiting 4 different stores to safe 50 cents on 'bargains' costed way more in gas, parking fees and -most importantly- my wasted time.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3124 on: February 05, 2019, 02:40:59 pm »

Today it's:

Here in Sweden the copyright lobby have managed to get their own private tax on storage media, so whenever you buy a hard drive, an USB flash drive, a smart phone or any other kind storage media, a percentage goes to a private organisation owned by the music industry that then distribute that money to their members in some way out of government control. Completely insane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_copying_levy#Sweden

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf