Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 465425 times)

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #3225 on: February 11, 2019, 05:51:05 pm »
In the history of the United States we tried something similar which resulted in the killing of over 100 million Native Americans as we stole their land.

Oh dear, oh dear... :palm:

Yes it was our European relatives who came to this content and killed 100 million for the free land and free food.  Yes we are capitalist.  Would you rather be a communist?  I think that is what is our country protected your country from becoming.  Had the US not entered World War II and won World War II you would be living in a different world.  And had the US not “faught” the spread of communism throughout Western Europe after World War II you might be working for free.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3226 on: February 11, 2019, 06:07:23 pm »
Would you rather be a communist?  I think that is what is our country protected your country from becoming.

LOL :palm: Obviously you do not know anything about Poland either, right? And this is waay off topic BTW. Better let's stop.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 06:15:41 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3227 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:13 pm »
Would you rather be a communist?  I think that is what is our country protected your country from becoming.

LOL :palm: Obviously you do not know anything about Poland either, right? And this is waay off topic BTW. Better let's stop.

Well I know Poland is NOT in Western Europe.

Biofuels are a bunch of FUD yet a couple of posters seem to beleive otherwise.  And when presented with the evidence and the science proving otherwise.

It would be nice if you and that other guy would stop posting all of that false and incorrect information.  It’s one thing to have an intelligent discussion so all can learn and benefit.  But when you using marking hype and try and pass it off as science that is where it has to STOP.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3228 on: February 11, 2019, 07:54:00 pm »
Really? Try looking at a map. It was referred to as Eastern Europe in the Iron Curtain days, but it isn't really to the east of Europe.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3229 on: February 11, 2019, 08:05:32 pm »
Really? Try looking at a map. It was referred to as Eastern Europe in the Iron Curtain days, but it isn't really to the east of Europe.

Has Poland moved?  There are your beliefs, and then there is what everyone else agrees.

Poland, officially the Republic of Poland, is a country located in Central Europe. It is divided into 16 administrative subdivisions, covering an area of 312,696 square kilometres, and has a largely temperate seasonal climate

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3230 on: February 11, 2019, 08:20:37 pm »

Has Poland moved?  There are your beliefs, and then there is what everyone else agrees.

Poland, officially the Republic of Poland, is a country located in Central Europe. It is divided into 16 administrative subdivisions, covering an area of 312,696 square kilometres, and has a largely temperate seasonal climate
You just agreed with me. Its right in the middle of Europe. It only appeared to be in the East when the Iron Curtain set a false threshold far to the west.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #3231 on: February 11, 2019, 09:10:19 pm »
Actually if you are in Japan, China is west. America is east. It's all relative.  :-//

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3232 on: February 11, 2019, 09:26:46 pm »
Actually if you are in Japan, China is west. America is east. It's all relative.  :-//

Yes and what if we were on the moon or Sun?  We can play this what if game all you want.  Question is do you want to share realities or not?  I know you guys are not that stupid and we use  language to share and describe our realities with others.  You’re all of you so you know what I’m saying so I’m not sure what your point is.  It is you who is questioning the location of Poland yet you know exactly what I mean.  You’re making a frivolous argument

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3233 on: February 11, 2019, 09:41:22 pm »

It’s so easy to feed people when other people are forced to give you free money (taxes), free land and free/volunteer labor isn’t it? 

There is no mention at all of the people this guy is making homeless by taking their land.  Or the “honest” hard working farmers who make a living by selling the food they grow.  With this guy giving food away just think of all of the farmers he’s impacting. 

In the United States we call what this guy is doing Communism.

WTF??

Are you taking the piss or are you actually serious?  Did you watch and understand what the guy is doing?

Hes educating kids from the poorest backgrounds,  giving them an interest that gets them to uni and well paid jobs, gives whole communities hope and feeds a bunch of people.  Feeding poor People in the us Is Communism??  What is your way< Let them go hungry?

He's not taking anyone's land or displacing people, he's using deserted land  in a lot of shithole areas of cities that no one is using and the only people he's probably displacing are Drug dealers and crack heads.

As for the farmers whom he is supposedly impacting, do you not get that these people are not and never will be their customers in the first place and in fact what he is doing is more likely to help their sales by getting them used to fresh produce than what they were before?

Don't know how you can relate this guy to be anything like using slave labour or Killing natives but if what he is doing is Communism, Sign me up!
I would be damn proud to achieve what this guy has and all the good he has done.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3234 on: February 11, 2019, 09:46:14 pm »
Fertiliser is also a good point to bring up. At some point we'll also need to switch to non-fossil fuel fertiliser which are likely more expensive so this will make food more expensive. If we can use more of a plant (to make fuel) then the costs of the more expensive fertiliser are spread between food production and fuel production.
What about use treated sewage if it's only for fuel?
I'm not a farmer but I think farming as a business is all about return on investment. It may not make sense to use a lesser fertiliser if that results in a lower yield. Harvesting the crops will cost the same whether there is a lot or just a little on the field. Besides that I think land shouldn't be wasted on growing feedstock for fuel only.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3235 on: February 11, 2019, 10:29:33 pm »

I'm not a farmer but I think farming as a business is all about return on investment.

Wow! Genius! You sure are switched on for a 15 yo lad.
Sometimes!

Besides that I think land shouldn't be wasted on growing feedstock for fuel only.

Which makes the whole biofuels thing really Hard. To the point of impossible from an efficiency POV.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3236 on: February 11, 2019, 10:35:02 pm »
Besides that I think land shouldn't be wasted on growing feedstock for fuel only.
Which makes the whole biofuels thing really Hard. To the point of impossible from an efficiency POV.
Without any numbers to back that up that is just your opinion. So please enlighten us with some calculations to back your claim.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3237 on: February 11, 2019, 11:22:39 pm »
Without any numbers to back that up that is just your opinion. So please enlighten us with some calculations to back your claim.

Bwhahahaha!

Talk about Hypocritical!

YOU of all people want numbers to back up a comment?
The guy who provides nothing but endless and flawed waffle and promotional material from the vested interests you promote as fact to back up your religious like beliefs???   That's not even counting the ridiclious and illogical other rubbish you spout. Hahahaha!

Wouldn't matter what anyone showed as fact, you'd dispute and dismiss it with some rubbish excuse and maintain you were right no matter how clearly it were proven the complete opposite... as I have already done with your claims several times over already.

When you say something (everything) without proof it's fact but when someone else does, it's just their Opinion. Yeah right.
It will always just be opinion to you because you are completely brainwashed and close minded in what you believe and there is no room for fact or contradiction of anything in your ingrained beliefs. You are so desperate for something to believe in and give you hope where you have none other in your life, you cling to this one belief you have latched onto like a life rope to give you the motivation to face tomorrow.

I'll bet my backside I could say I got a hand full of corn I put in a bucket, sprinkled a chemical Mix I came up with over it and got 100L of Biofuel out of it  10 Min later and  you'd not ask for  numbers or call it just an opinion then would you? You wouldn"t be able to tell everyone fast enough how you were right and biofuels will save the world.

Sorry mate, You don't have the credibility with me to ask for proof of anything.  Until YOU provide some evidence to back up your fantasies, I have already put in more time than you are worth to show the flaws in your pipe dreams.
YOU want to be believed, YOU prove your own points first. Don't expect me to do the home work you wont or in fact cant.

Go back to school young man. You still have SO much to learn and you need to learn it very badly.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3238 on: February 11, 2019, 11:34:43 pm »
So you basically have nothing to add? Why write such a long post then? Just state you don't know any numbers. I posted links to several seperate sources of information which all point in the same direction. You OTOH have brought up nothing factual to contradict anything.

If there is anyone which seems to have an agenda it is you. Either you are trolling or are being paid to make bio-fuel look bad. Your lack of factual information is pretty transparent though.

I like the young man comment though. It has been a long time since someone called me that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:37:39 pm by nctnico »

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3239 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:31 am »

It’s so easy to feed people when other people are forced to give you free money (taxes), free land and free/volunteer labor isn’t it? 

There is no mention at all of the people this guy is making homeless by taking their land.  Or the “honest” hard working farmers who make a living by selling the food they grow.  With this guy giving food away just think of all of the farmers he’s impacting. 

In the United States we call what this guy is doing Communism.

WTF??

Are you taking the piss or are you actually serious?  Did you watch and understand what the guy is doing?

Hes educating kids from the poorest backgrounds,  giving them an interest that gets them to uni and well paid jobs, gives whole communities hope and feeds a bunch of people.  Feeding poor People in the us Is Communism??  What is your way< Let them go hungry?

He's not taking anyone's land or displacing people, he's using deserted land  in a lot of shithole areas of cities that no one is using and the only people he's probably displacing are Drug dealers and crack heads.

As for the farmers whom he is supposedly impacting, do you not get that these people are not and never will be their customers in the first place and in fact what he is doing is more likely to help their sales by getting them used to fresh produce than what they were before?

Don't know how you can relate this guy to be anything like using slave labour or Killing natives but if what he is doing is Communism, Sign me up!
I would be damn proud to achieve what this guy has and all the good he has done.

I fully understand what the guy is doing, but do you? 

Yes he is educating students.  In the United States we offer a free education to all of our citizens including illegal immigrants.

What is your definition of a uni and well paid jobs?  You are jumping to conclusions.  Just exactly how much are they making once they graduate from high school?  I suspect IF they can get a job it's minimum wage.  Only way these kids could get a well paid job is if they were growing marijuana.

Yes it's the shithole part of the city but homeless were living there.  This guy is now making the homeless, homeless.  Where are the homeless to live?  The land his students are farming on they are not paying for.  Yet somebody owns it.  In the US we don't have any land anymore that is not owned by someone.  So he's getting a hand out there.  Contrast that to a farmer who has to pay for the land used to farm.  There's no free handout to farmers.

The United States was founded on stealing land from native Americans and slaves.  The students in the video are effectually free labor.  (I am by no means saying they are slaves.)  But are they getting paid?  I don't think we pay students to go to school.

Look I am by now means saying what this guy is doing is not a good thing.  It appears he's having a positive impact on some peoples lives.  But at the same time what he's doing has a negative impact on other people's lives.  Looking at the organization's web site there are a lot of corporate sponsors.  I believe he said he's giving the food away.  The US did this in Haiti after the earthquake.  What we did was ruin the lives of all of the small shops everyone depends on for other food and other items.  These small local stores could not survive and closed.  Locals who needed other items such as milk and other food stuffs not being given away by the US caused another wave of starvation.  New York is the same with lots of small local stores.  If these small stores go out of business where are folks going to get basic necessities?

Do you know the story of Play Pumps and clean drinking water?
If you liked what this guy did, you will be ecstatic about the Play Pumps.  Take note of how much money was raised for Play Pumps and clean drinking water.

And then there's the rest of the story?  How much money was raised for Play Pumps?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:03:58 am by DougSpindler »

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3240 on: February 12, 2019, 02:56:06 am »

Long way off topic here but I'll say I think talking about making homeless people homeless and having an issue with disused land being used to produce food is a real long stretch.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3241 on: February 12, 2019, 03:02:27 am »
You OTOH have brought up nothing factual to contradict anything.

If there is anyone which seems to have an agenda it is you. Either you are trolling or are being paid to make bio-fuel look bad. Your lack of factual information is pretty transparent though.

I like the young man comment though. It has been a long time since someone called me that.

Mate, unfortunately you completely lack any credibility or respect I would require for you biased Viewpoint to argue with you any further.
You clearly haven't clue what you  are talking about, certainly haven't got a clue what the difference between fact and promotional material is so carry on as you wish.

No one is taking you the least bit seriously anymore other than the fact you are becoming a pest.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3242 on: February 12, 2019, 03:16:14 am »

Long way off topic here but I'll say I think talking about making homeless people homeless and having an issue with disused land being used to produce food is a real long stretch.

No argument there.  Any idea how many homeless people there are?  There are literally 100s of mini cities with 100s of homeless people living in tents with solar panels, and generators.  There are so many people that the city is paying for hundreds of Porta-Potties and hand washing stations.  Is the land really disused?

Just saying the are additional aspects to the story we heard in the Ted talk which were not discussed.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3243 on: February 12, 2019, 03:27:38 am »
You OTOH have brought up nothing factual to contradict anything.

Mate, unfortunately you completely lack any credibility or respect I would require for you biased Viewpoint to argue with you any further.
You clearly haven't clue what you  are talking about, certainly haven't got a clue what the difference between fact and promotional material is so carry on as you wish.

No one is taking you the least bit seriously anymore other than the fact you are becoming a pest.

Oh no here he goes again.  As soon he feels he's lost an argument he immediately calls the person a troll.  Every time he's been asked to provide any credible evidence he fails.  And I think he believes the laws of physics don't apply to anything he believes in.

I will say I have to thank him for many of his posts.  I'm question and fact check many of the claims he has made.  And in fact checking I learned a lot about biofuels and hydrogen powered cars.  Unfortunately most of what he's posted are marking hype type claims from a few years ago.  If you look at how well those claims did you find they were met with failure or had mediocre performance.  He's helped me learn a lot with his misleading posts.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3244 on: February 12, 2019, 06:11:24 am »
It feels good to a poorly informed public. Its branded as a green product, and that's all you need to make lots of people feel good about using it.

Like most things that appeal to the greenwashed.
Calling people names doesn't help you get your point over.

Neither do factual errors.
Like recycling paper to save trees.  Forget the trees are plantation grown

In Australia, particularly WA, the trees used for woodchipping are part of natural forests.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodchipping_in_Australia

Like the people that buy hybrids that use more resources and energy in their production and have higher emissions from the materials that go into them than a regular vehicle and thin think they are doing something better than the guy who drives a regular IC vehicle

Another popular one right now is home storage batteries.  I put one on the house and am a hero saving the world. forget the fact they have materials that are highly toxic in their mining and refinement, forget they are completely un economical and forget most of they can't be recycled.

It's the flavour of the month at trendy cocktail parties and save the world protest so that's all that matters.

Yes, some "green stuff" is bullshit, but so is a lot of the "anti-green" rhetoric.
By the way, before you ask, I'm 75, & I've never been to a "trendy cocktail party " in my life!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3245 on: February 12, 2019, 07:10:05 am »

And then on YouTune there’’s an award winning high school physic teaching who has a video on “free energy”.  He’s teaching studnets there is such s thing as “free energy” if it comes from the sun.

Fortunately for you, in my book, you also have one of the greatest teachers and most admirable men I have ever heard of.

This guy ought to be a role model and his achievements made known to every teacher in the world far as I'm concerned.  If just 2% of teachers had the passion this guy has, not only would schools be a better place, but truly the world would be.

Don't know if this guy should be a teacher or a world leader.
Guess he's both already.

@george80  Isn’t this guy a modern day Eva Peron or Robin Hood?  It’s so easy to feed people when other people are forced to give you free money (taxes), free land and free/volunteer labor isn’t it? 
What kind of role model is that?  In the history of the United States we tried something similar which resulted in the killing of over 100 million Native Americans as we stole their land. Then we “tricked” them into working for free for “us” for food other we just inslaved.

Well, if you are talking about the homeless people who "sleep rough" on these bits of vacant land, they don't really own the land, & could be turfed out on their ear by developers at any time.
But that would be all right,----- because of market forces, etc.

The gardens are pretty small stuff in the scheme 'of things, & wouldn't have a major impact upon farmer's incomes.
Hell!, they've got something similar in my home town, but they don't have a "show pony " running it!

I notice this guy or any company isn’t converting any of the bio-waste he’s creating into biofuels.  With all of the free money and resources this guy is getting one would think if turning bio-waste into biofuels was worth it he would be doing it.  But he’s not.
Again, despite the hype, it's pretty small stuff in the scheme of things, & like anything else, there is a critical mass beyond which it is worth doing.
In the United States we call what this guy is doing Communism.  This is something Americas faught against for decadess.  If you think communism is so great why aren’t you living in a communist country?

That's Communism?
I don't remember dear old Nikita Kruschev, or Leonid Brezhnev giving anybody anything free!

That old Commie Jesus Christ gave away "loaves & fishes", though, so we mustn't follow his example!
He drank, too--remember when he turned water into wine!

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #3246 on: February 12, 2019, 07:51:34 am »
A neighbor just got a Nissan e-NV200.
It is pretty nearly perfect for what I do... Range, size, price etc.
Except the interior partition has to be removed to load standard size 250x60cm OSB or plaster boards... On their edge etc...
There should be a slot for about 10 18mm boards under the seats (if more than ten are needed, usually getting delivered makes more sense) loaded flat.
This would make the van much more valuable for small contractors...

I'm electronically illiterate

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3247 on: February 12, 2019, 09:37:26 am »

And then on YouTune there’’s an award winning high school physic teaching who has a video on “free energy”.  He’s teaching studnets there is such s thing as “free energy” if it comes from the sun.

Fortunately for you, in my book, you also have one of the greatest teachers and most admirable men I have ever heard of.

This guy ought to be a role model and his achievements made known to every teacher in the world far as I'm concerned.  If just 2% of teachers had the passion this guy has, not only would schools be a better place, but truly the world would be.

Don't know if this guy should be a teacher or a world leader.
Guess he's both already.

@george80  Isn’t this guy a modern day Eva Peron or Robin Hood?  It’s so easy to feed people when other people are forced to give you free money (taxes), free land and free/volunteer labor isn’t it? 
What kind of role model is that?  In the history of the United States we tried something similar which resulted in the killing of over 100 million Native Americans as we stole their land. Then we “tricked” them into working for free for “us” for food other we just inslaved.

Well, if you are talking about the homeless people who "sleep rough" on these bits of vacant land, they don't really own the land, & could be turfed out on their ear by developers at any time.
But that would be all right,----- because of market forces, etc.

The gardens are pretty small stuff in the scheme 'of things, & wouldn't have a major impact upon farmer's incomes.
Hell!, they've got something similar in my home town, but they don't have a "show pony " running it!

I notice this guy or any company isn’t converting any of the bio-waste he’s creating into biofuels.  With all of the free money and resources this guy is getting one would think if turning bio-waste into biofuels was worth it he would be doing it.  But he’s not.
Again, despite the hype, it's pretty small stuff in the scheme of things, & like anything else, there is a critical mass beyond which it is worth doing.
In the United States we call what this guy is doing Communism.  This is something Americas faught against for decadess.  If you think communism is so great why aren’t you living in a communist country?

That's Communism?
I don't remember dear old Nikita Kruschev, or Leonid Brezhnev giving anybody anything free!

That old Commie Jesus Christ gave away "loaves & fishes", though, so we mustn't follow his example!
He drank, too--remember when he turned water into wine!

Hold on a second my friend lets see if the Green Bronx program fits the detonation of communism?

Communism is a classless social system with one form of public ownership of the means of production and with full social equality of all members of society. Under communism, the all-round development of people will be accompanied by the growth of the productive forces on the basis of continuous progress in science and technology, all the springs of social wealth will flow abundantly, and the great principle "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" will be implemented. Communism is a highly organised society of free, socially conscious working people a society in which public self-government will be established, a society in which labour for the good of society will become the prime vital requirement of everyone, a clearly recognised necessity, and the ability of each person will be employed to the greatest benefit of the people.

And yes the teaching of Jesus Christ are comunistic far more so than capitalistic.

I want to thank you for challenging me on this and I have spent time researching what this teacher is doing.  The TED video is 5 or 6 years old and it appears the teachers program has changed over time.  In newer materail they claim they are giving 5,000 prounds of food away for free every year.  This is not given to the kids families but to cancer patients who can afford food.

What he’s doing is certainly not capitalism or socialism.

The guy in the video is an elementary school teacher.  His garden is in his classroom which is on the fourth floor of a public school.  Not sure how an elementary school teacher is getting these students high paying jobs.  It’s also unclear if he’s now an elementary school science teacher?  Or if he teaches a grade of studnets.  If he’s a science teacher he spends maybe 30-45 minutes per week with studnets from all grades throughout the school year.  Vs, teaching one grade level of 25 students for a year.  I suspect he’s a science teacher.

I think you are correct this program is very small and there is a lot more hype to it.  For a public school he has a lot of very expensive equipment and supplies, but I suspect this is due to the corporate sponsorship as there is no way a public school would have funds for the equipment and supplies the guy has.

It looks like the garden in the street is a separate but related program.  I don’t think he runs the street garden program.  It looks like that is really run by four volunteers.  Based on the amount of high quality PR there is about this progam I suspect the seed money for the program is the result of several well written grants and a lot of politicking.

I’ve got to hand it to the guy he’s doing a wonderful job.  It would be interesting to see of the guy is really making an impact on these kids lives.  He’s been doing it long eneough that many of his stundent would have entered the workforce by now.  And he said in the video he’s in an area with 40% unemployment and where 99% of the students qualify for the free food programs.  (Meaning tax payers pay for the food and the preparation of the food these kids eat.).  Not sure if this would be communism or socialism but its sure not capitalism.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3248 on: February 12, 2019, 10:03:30 am »
Just having a look at some news articles on EV's here.  Seems the PC greenwashed media has taken to guilt  tripping everyone for not rushing out to buy a new EV.

'What about the plug?' Australia's electric car infrastructure stalled by policy paralysis

Report urges Government to support electric vehicles

Electric car policy ‘weak and shallow'

Yep, seems once again the little guy is supposed to help big business line their pockets and so is the gubermint and we'll all be guilt tripped until we do.

I did see a gubbermint report done last year that makes 2 out of 17 reccomendations in preparing for EV's that the power authourity take into consideration the additional loads EV's will cause and plan for it. Pretty laughable. They can't even provide enough power for people to run their AC on a hot day now. Wait till a few  more power stations close down and a few thousand EV's hit the grid.

Did a bit of research into my mobile charge truck for people whom run out of power along the road idea today. Can set that up cheaper than I planned.
Was looking at a 50 Kw genny but on further thought I reckon a 25 will do.  The bigger the genny the bigger the vehicle I'll need to carry them and that may restrict access into various places.  If I can keep it to a 1 ton ute, that would be better than having a 2 ton truck that wouldn't fit in car parks. Then again, there may be a need for faster, fuller charge so a 50 Kw thumper on the back of a 2 tonner might be a premium service.

The way to go I think would be charge a call out fee with 10Kwh of charge included and then an additional charge per 10Kw unit after that. The longer it takes to charge you up and the more fuel I burn the more they pay.
One thing I was wondering about is if it would be possible to charge in the rain in the open? may have to put up some sort of shelter and dry around the vehicle before connecting.

Probably only need 2-3 cables if that.  Have to look into it a bit more, I think Tesla has one to themselves and the majority of the rest will all get by with another type. Might just need to have a fairly long cable to get the juice into vehicles that may not be in the easiest  place's to access.

I also saw on the gubbermint Recommendations that all new homes be made EV charger ready.  Obviously put in a heavy duty Circuit but I wonder if homes will be required to have a charge point?  Would be interesting. You go visit grandpa in the country for a family get together and all the atendees want to charge their vehicle for the trip home. Grandpa's charge is going flat out all day and into the evening and grandpa's electric bill just went up $50.
Will the etiquette be there to slip grandpa some cash or will people just take it as their right and leave grandpa to pay their fuel bill.

Pretty sure there is at least 1 in every family that would do that so it will be another social consequence  of the EV age.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3249 on: February 12, 2019, 10:46:45 am »
Just having a look at some news articles on EV's here.  Seems the PC greenwashed media has taken to guilt  tripping everyone for not rushing out to buy a new EV.

'What about the plug?' Australia's electric car infrastructure stalled by policy paralysis

Report urges Government to support electric vehicles

Electric car policy ‘weak and shallow'

Yep, seems once again the little guy is supposed to help big business line their pockets and so is the gubermint and we'll all be guilt tripped until we do.

I did see a gubbermint report done last year that makes 2 out of 17 reccomendations in preparing for EV's that the power authourity take into consideration the additional loads EV's will cause and plan for it. Pretty laughable. They can't even provide enough power for people to run their AC on a hot day now. Wait till a few  more power stations close down and a few thousand EV's hit the grid.

Did a bit of research into my mobile charge truck for people whom run out of power along the road idea today. Can set that up cheaper than I planned.
Was looking at a 50 Kw genny but on further thought I reckon a 25 will do.  The bigger the genny the bigger the vehicle I'll need to carry them and that may restrict access into various places.  If I can keep it to a 1 ton ute, that would be better than having a 2 ton truck that wouldn't fit in car parks. Then again, there may be a need for faster, fuller charge so a 50 Kw thumper on the back of a 2 tonner might be a premium service.

The way to go I think would be charge a call out fee with 10Kwh of charge included and then an additional charge per 10Kw unit after that. The longer it takes to charge you up and the more fuel I burn the more they pay.
One thing I was wondering about is if it would be possible to charge in the rain in the open? may have to put up some sort of shelter and dry around the vehicle before connecting.

Probably only need 2-3 cables if that.  Have to look into it a bit more, I think Tesla has one to themselves and the majority of the rest will all get by with another type. Might just need to have a fairly long cable to get the juice into vehicles that may not be in the easiest  place's to access.

I also saw on the gubbermint Recommendations that all new homes be made EV charger ready.  Obviously put in a heavy duty Circuit but I wonder if homes will be required to have a charge point?  Would be interesting. You go visit grandpa in the country for a family get together and all the atendees want to charge their vehicle for the trip home. Grandpa's charge is going flat out all day and into the evening and grandpa's electric bill just went up $50.
Will the etiquette be there to slip grandpa some cash or will people just take it as their right and leave grandpa to pay their fuel bill.

Pretty sure there is at least 1 in every family that would do that so it will be another social consequence  of the EV age.

In all of Australia only 215 EV cars are sold per year?

Here’s info on why EVs ar eno better for the environment than ICE.  In fact in some cases they are worse.

https://youtu.be/k6GeHnMwl1c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf