Author Topic: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?  (Read 460033 times)

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: When Will Electric Cars Become Mainstream?
« Reply #3300 on: February 13, 2019, 06:48:01 pm »
But Elon Musk will save us.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #3301 on: February 13, 2019, 06:54:47 pm »
So is the consensus EV cars will continue to become popular with consumers while being no so good for the environment.
EVs (both BEV and PHEV) are much better for the environment and climate than ICEs. Of course, how the electricity is produced matters, if you live in a place with 100% coal (or thereabout), then PHEV might be better, but in most places BEVs are better.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3302 on: February 13, 2019, 07:03:13 pm »
So is the consensus EV cars will continue to become popular with consumers while being no so good for the environment.

I think there will be an initial rush which will quickly taper off, 3-5 years and EV's will never make up more than about 25% of the total vehicle fleet.
By the time they start getting a real hold, some other tech will come along and replace them.

Biofuels and hydrogen powered cars are economical and thermodynamicly never going to happen.

Biofuels have been touted for getting on near 20 years and still nothing significant has happened.  Despite what some believe. The increase in production rate would have to be impossibly magnified for them  to become Viable.

Hydrogen has some upsides but a LOT of downsides. It is not a fuel as such, it's an energy storage medium.  You need to change something to hydrogen, it's not something you can grab out the air or dig out the ground. It has to be converted FF, sunlight or something else to get any commercial qtys that would make a dent in the vehicle fleet.

Man caused climate change which is resulting in the melting of the polar ice caps will be good business for the oil companies.  With the ice sheet gone it will expose vast new oil reserves and price of fossil fuels will drop.

Globull warming is also good for the planet.  Warmer climates makes tress grow better and increased CO2 is also a help for plant life.  Greenhouses are warmed and have elevated levels of Co2  to promote plant growth. Incredibly the doomsday greenwashed seem to overlook this obvious fact.
  Globull warming will help make the planet green and the melting ice caps will mean that there is plenty of water to ensure their growth.
Yep, may loose a few meters of coastal building land but the benifits of having more water further inland and the resulting increase in crop production will be more than worth it and be better for mankind and much better for greening our planet and the Flora and Fauna.

There are a lot of greenies who beleive anything is possible and feel the laws of physiscs, thermodynamics and chemistry does not apply to them.  They will continue to beleive cars can be powered with the electrolysis of water and CO2 and water in the atmosphere can be converted into automobile fuel economicly.

These people have empty lives and need hope and something to believe in for the future so they can believe there is something to look forward to in their lives and things will get better than the lot they have now.
It would be interesting to see a comparison between those that are religious and believe in the green faith as well as compared to the population averages.

Electricty from solar and wind in 50 years will might be able to provide less than 20% of the world’s electricty needs.  We just do’t have the raw resources to produce more.

Those members of the green church argue that only small tracts of land are needed to power the world.  Musk, the greatest Cult leader of all eternity, Said something to the effect of 400 Km sq of panels could power the world.  That's nice but if it's that simple, raises 2 questions for me:
1. Why is the world not solar powered already then?
2.  What happens when the sun goes down in the evening?

Those that preach the green gospel have both a penchant for over exaggeration and over simplification. Whatever best suits the fairy tale they are trying to convince people of at the time.

Nuclear power while not without issues is far better than all of the other methods we know about and certainly causes far less heath problems for people compared to fossil fuels.  Fossil fuels are responsible for causing the premature death and heath issues for one billion people or about one eighth of the worlds population.

can't say I am at all for nuke power. It is simply too powerful and dangerous to be entrusted to mankind.
The accidents that have occoured have all been the fault of the clowns running the facilities rather than the tech itself... which isn't great but hasn't been the problem.

The REAL problem is human nature, specifically greed. Corners are cut, procedures compromised and stupid things done just to save a buck.
Japan case in point. What moron would locate backup generators in the first place that would be hit in a tidal wave prone area instead of putting them higher up and in a more fortified structure?

As for the amount of people dying.... I think that's very had to clarify no matter what vested interest says it. Once could also say how many people live through the wide range of benifits oil provides?

In any case, I think the idea of anything killing so many people a year is kind of a moot point.  If we stopped all these people dying from all the statistics attributed to different things, the world would go into melt down trying to support all these extra people and the explosive population growth in a couple of years.
If we want to stop people dying, first we might have to slow down the rate at which they are born.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #3303 on: February 13, 2019, 09:07:36 pm »
Edit on my Golf engine claims in the previous page:

I am wrong.
What I assumed I saw is not possible on that Golf engine. I assumed I saw something and I am mistaken.
The space between the cylinders on that engine (and most engines) is smaller that the width of the plain bearing below it (and I know that).
So I probably witnessed a cock up of two idiots lifting the crankcase too high after fitting the pistons and snapping a ring open below the cylinder and sweating big ones realising that they F'd up.
I was wrong, I should research stuff more and not trust my eyes as much and, being a mechanic, know better.

Sorry about that, I feel like a right fool.

Back to our usual programming.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:28:27 pm by gildasd »
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3304 on: February 13, 2019, 09:24:35 pm »
Edit on my Golf engine claims in the previous page:

I am wrong.
What I assumed I saw is not possible on that Golf engine. I assumed I saw something and I am mistaken.
The space between the cylinders on that engine (and most engines) is smaller that the width of the plain bearing below it (and I know that).
So I probably witnessed a cock up of two idiots lifting the crankcase too high after fitting the cylinders and snapping a ring open below the cylinder and sweating big ones realising that they F'd up.
I was wrong, I should research stuff more and not trust my eyes as much and, being a mechanic, know better.

Sorry about that, I feel like a right fool.

Back to our usual programming.

Don't feel like a fool, you are a true scientist.  The world needs more people like you.  You had a hypothesis, were challenged about it, tested it, realized you were wrong and publicly stated your findings.  Nothing wrong with that.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3305 on: February 14, 2019, 01:56:49 am »

Biofuels and hydrogen powered cars are economical and thermodynamicly never going to happen.

Man caused climate change which is resulting in the melting of the polar ice caps will be good business for the oil companies.  With the ice sheet gone it will expose vast new oil reserves and price of fossil fuels will drop.

There are a lot of greenies who beleive anything is possible and feel the laws of physiscs, thermodynamics and chemistry does not apply to them.  They will continue to beleive cars can be powered with the electrolysis of water and CO2 and water in the atmosphere can be converted into automobile fuel economicly.

Electricty from solar and wind in 50 years will might be able to provide less than 20% of the world’s electricty needs.  We just do’t have the raw resources to produce more.

Nuclear power while not without issues is far better than all of the other methods we know about and certainly causes far less heath problems for people compared to fossil fuels.  Fossil fuels are responsible for causing the premature death and heath issues for one billion people or about one eighth of the worlds population.
Sure

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3306 on: February 14, 2019, 10:54:30 am »

BTW driving short distances is also not good for petrol cars. For example: the piston seals can seize up causing high oil consumption.

The piston Seals???   :-DD
Really?

Where, where, WHERE do you get this idiotic garbage from?   |O

Do you make it up or are you just so clueless you don't even know what piston rings are? Please stop talking about things you have less than no idea about. it's embarrassing to read as well as frustrating. have you no self pride, no dignity? Do you enjoy people laughing at you and making such a fool of yourself.
Please stop. Just STOP.  you bring down the credibility of this forum as well as having demolished and form of respect anyone could have for anything you dribble out.

In any case, again that's pure and utter garbage but please provide factual evidence that what you say is Correct like you demand off everyone else.

Unless you were driving your car round the block and never gave it an oil change, you would Never cause the rings to stick on any car made and running on any fuel produced in the last 20 years at least. Aside from that, everyone that knows about cars clearly knew that in the day it was not the rings that stuck or got carbon deposits it was  always the conrod valves due to the old type oils having a high ash content which never fully burned off due to the engine not reaching proper temp due to the short drives.

What the hell is a conrod valve?
The "conrods" (connecting  rods) are the things that connect the pistons to the crankshaft--- there are no valves associated with them.

The things that let the unburned mixture in and the exhaust out are sometimes known as "poppet" valves, although that is pretty archaic terminology.
They are in turn usually operated by "rocker arms" operated either directly from a camshaft or via "pushrods" (Is that the word you were looking for?)

At least do your homework and have SOME idea what you are talking about.

Oh my God!
This gets better & better!  :palm:
That's the thing with these discussions, if you get over trying to push a point and always be right, you can be inspired to look things up and learn things.
Try it some time, I guarantee it will help you with your 5th grade studies a lot.

Do you have ANY clue how the internal combustion engine works
And better!  :palm::palm: :palm:
and what the engine computer monitors  and the controls it has over the engine?
Why am I even asking.  you wouldn't know how the engine in a lawn mower works much less have the ability to fix it but you still come up with all this moronic garbage as if it's a real thing.

Please go away and stop embarrassing us all or YOU provide the "scientific" reports you want others to provide to back up your garbage assertions.

A suggestion, Sonny!
If you are going to act the Guru, check you are using the right terminology, otherwise those older & wiser may have to correct your ramblings.

PS:- After digging through your voluminous verbiage, I discovered that your "conrod valves" remark was
a "deliberate mistake", so I thought about  removing this posting, but, as your posting was to allow you to
feel good by making someone else feel bad, I decided to leave it in its entirety.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:08:08 am by vk6zgo »

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3307 on: February 14, 2019, 11:58:49 am »
as your posting was to allow you to
feel good by making someone else feel bad, I decided to leave it in its entirety.

I posted it to show the hypocrisy of someones claims. It worked.
Twice in fact and better than I expected!

I'm glad you left it . Gave me a good laugh at the indignation of your reply and grandstanding.
It certainly did get better and better and more laughable as you went on. 
Please continue.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3308 on: February 14, 2019, 12:58:44 pm »

I'm glad you left it . Gave me a good laugh at the indignation of your reply and grandstanding.
Please continue.

This, from the grandstanding king!

I took it, as anyone else would, at face value, which was that you were talking crap!
You certainly do not inspire confidence in your competency, when you can't make a simple posting without calling people names, using stupid terms like "greenwashed" & "gubbermint".

You could have expressed the sensible components (& indeed, there were some, amongst the dross) of all your long, drawn out posts in a couple of paragraphs, but that wouldn't allow you to show off your feelings of superiority!

I & others have had "run ins" with nctnico on this thread, but no one showed the naked aggression you exhibit.

Perhaps you should start to behave a bit less like a five year old!

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3309 on: February 15, 2019, 02:58:14 am »

Please continue.

I took it, as anyone else would, at face value, which was that you were talking crap!
You certainly do not inspire confidence in your competency, when you can't make a simple posting without calling people names, using stupid terms like "greenwashed" & "gubbermint".

You could have expressed the sensible components (& indeed, there were some, amongst the dross) of all your long, drawn out posts in a couple of paragraphs, but that wouldn't allow you to show off your feelings of superiority!

I & others have had "run ins" with nctnico on this thread, but no one showed the naked aggression you exhibit.

You guys should start your own thread. 

The following users thanked this post: gildasd

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #3310 on: February 15, 2019, 05:25:01 am »

Please continue.

Yup, to quote the poet; “get a room”.
I'm electronically illiterate

The following users thanked this post: ahbushnell

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3311 on: February 15, 2019, 08:57:14 am »

Please continue.

I do not agree, george8 has done a good job showing up some of the stupid idiotic posters in this thread who simply spread disinformation about things they know nothing about, valves on conrods and replace in situ piston rings being but two examples. I think the mods have done a particularly poor job in regulating this thread and allowing it to degenerate into a farce, they seem to have an attitude whereby renewables is an allowable home for cranks as long as they don't stray into other forums, this being a pity as the renewables forum has now become unusable for it's true purpose whilst this thread remains. Personally I think it should be deleted as a very bad example of what to post in forums.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:59:56 am by fourtytwo42 »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3312 on: February 15, 2019, 12:03:27 pm »

Please continue.

I do not agree, george8 has done a good job showing up some of the stupid idiotic posters in this thread who simply spread disinformation about things they know nothing about, valves on conrods and replace in situ piston rings being but two examples. I think the mods have done a particularly poor job in regulating this thread and allowing it to degenerate into a farce, they seem to have an attitude whereby renewables is an allowable home for cranks as long as they don't stray into other forums, this being a pity as the renewables forum has now become unusable for it's true purpose whilst this thread remains. Personally I think it should be deleted as a very bad example of what to post in forums.

My answer to george80 was because of his (on the face of it), lack of knowledge whilst bashing someone else for the same failing.

It was only after re-reading several of his long &  voluminous tracts that I found the one where he reveals that his apparent ignorance was a "cunning ruse".

By then I had posted my answer.
I contemplated deleting it, but decided to leave it, because he, in common with some of the other posters on this thread, is intensely annoying.

Instead of making his point in a sensible manner, he goes off into reams of barely relevant crud.(As do the others).

I've had it!
There are rational threads I can waste my time on, instead!

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3313 on: February 17, 2019, 03:01:29 am »
Is this why farming releases so much CO2.  This is defiantly contributing to man caused climate change. 

https://youtu.be/WHYN6fizQAI?t=390

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3314 on: February 17, 2019, 09:20:39 am »
Offtopic this thread has changed my mind on something.
I always wanted engineers to play a large role in politics because decisions would IMO then result in a single scientific based result with the best outcome.
But now I can clearly see that two opposing engineering sides will result in armageddon, I rather have a lot of unscientific people doing that job.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #3315 on: February 17, 2019, 10:24:52 am »
I wouldn't worry on that point, given the rubbish in this thread the number of actual engineers who are contributors must be very small indeed! Unfortunately the thread brings the whole site into disrepute and that is why I suggested the mods delete it, however along with not moderating the junk within there has been no reaction from them.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3316 on: February 17, 2019, 11:47:18 am »
Is this why farming releases so much CO2.

So Much?? What would you propose, we stop agriculture? That will certainty reduce C02 emissions when most of the world population staves to death.

This is defiantly contributing to man caused climate change. 

So are you in everything you do every day of your life. So what?  We could eliminate all the co2 production and the world would be all happy but unfortunately no one would be left. Kind of a moot point isn't it ?

I'll guarantee one office block power consumption generates more co2 every single day than a farmer creates in a year.  You car probably generates more CO2in a year than a farmer using a flame weeder as well and remember, those crops absorb Co2 when the are growing so are carbon neutral.

Not much point eliminating co2 or shutting down farming if we are all going to starve to death and they will be no one left on the planet.

I'd suggest there are a whole lot more sensible things to target and raise awareness of than complain about c02 emissions from an absolutely essential industry that keeps us all alive.

Wonder how much Co2 is generated by something Unnessacary like for instance, 4th of july Fireworks.  Around the US there must be hundreds of tons of fireworks releasing massive amounts of Co2.  Maybe questioning that and trying to have fireworks banned as the unnecessary and wasteful Co2 they generate would be a better place to start asking questions.  Then you can move on to other things that are a lot less essential than food production.

Criticizing co2 from agriculture sounds like a poorly thought out complaint straight out of the Green rabble rousing play book to push the agenda without thinking  the Idea through logically and practically.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3317 on: February 17, 2019, 11:54:36 am »
But now I can clearly see that two opposing engineering sides will result in armageddon, I rather have a lot of unscientific people doing that job.

I would suggest that if taken from a purely engineering POV there wouldn't be sides opposing each other too much and there would be co operation to do the right thing rather than the cheapest, most profitable or most popular as are the political agendas. When there was disagreement I would bet a lot the compromise would still come up with a far more effective solution that any political outcome.
I can think of several MAJOR gubbermint initiatives that engineers opposed from the start with good reason that went ahead anyway for political reasons and the engineers proved to be spot on with predictions of problems.

Politics is a con and a scam played on the worlds people. The ultimate slight of hand and hypocrisy.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3318 on: February 17, 2019, 11:59:20 am »
@georgr80:
My basic understanding of firework (and explosives in general) tells me that it is highly unlikely fireworks release CO2. Also growing crops needs fertilizer (made from fossil fuels nowadays) and animals tend to release methane. Add to that that most part of the crops aren't used and left to rot (and thus releasing CO2 and methane) the net result of farming is that it may release more greenhouse gasses than get absorbed. And lets not forget everything being grown gets eaten at some point.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline george80

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3319 on: February 17, 2019, 12:59:20 pm »
@georgr80:
My basic understanding of firework (and explosives in general) tells me that it is highly unlikely fireworks release CO2.

I know beans about fireworks and a little about the composition of gunpowder but  There is combustion going on so I would bet there is Co2 being released in the process.

Also growing crops needs fertilizer (made from fossil fuels nowadays) and animals tend to release methane. Add to that that most part of the crops aren't used and left to rot (and thus releasing CO2 and methane) the net result of farming is that it may release more greenhouse gasses than get absorbed. And lets not forget everything being grown gets eaten at some point.

So what's your solution?
Stop agriculture so as to stop co2 and let the world stave to death?

Farming HAS to release more Co2 than it takes but again so what?  There is an output to all human activity so one either wears it or exterminates the human race to achieve the Green goal of Zero co2 emission.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3320 on: February 17, 2019, 01:27:32 pm »
Farming HAS to release more Co2 than it takes but again so what?
It is not a requirement that farming releases an excess of CO2, but it always has. That Middle Eastern fertile crescent we read so much about in school history books isn't there now. The deep loess plateau in China in dramatically lower than when farming began. We got through massive supplies of guwano in a few years. Now we rely on oil to fertilize the land, and sustain the green revolution that lets 8 billion people be fed. From its very earliest days farming has always operated in an unsustainable manner, because the population has always risen to consume whatever output agriculture could achieve. We seem to be rapidly approaching crunch time right now.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3321 on: February 17, 2019, 03:48:31 pm »
Dude take a chill pill and do some research before forming th thr month.  Why all of the hostility?  This forum is about learning and helping each other.  It appears all you want to do mouth offf your beliefs and provide no facts or science to support your opinion. 

Why are you even posting to this forum?   

Do you not simple chemistry?  The products of a fireworks shell are as follows K2S (potassium sulfide) + N2 (nitrogen gas) + 3CO2 (carbon dioxide).

My friend turn down the hostility and fire up the willingness to want to learn.  I have yet to meet someone who knows it except for the crazy religious nuts in my town who scream bible versus on street cornors. 

Try eating a Hubble pie or two.  Then smoke a couple of marijuana joints and mellow out before making you next post.  Keep you mind open so you can lean something nd think about it unless that’s illegal in the copuntry where you live.

Is this why farming releases so much CO2.

So Much?? What would you propose, we stop agriculture? That will certainty reduce C02 emissions when most of the world population staves to death.

This is defiantly contributing to man caused climate change. 

So are you in everything you do every day of your life. So what?  We could eliminate all the co2 production and the world would be all happy but unfortunately no one would be left. Kind of a moot point isn't it ?

I'll guarantee one office block power consumption generates more co2 every single day than a farmer creates in a year.  You car probably generates more CO2in a year than a farmer using a flame weeder as well and remember, those crops absorb Co2 when the are growing so are carbon neutral.

Not much point eliminating co2 or shutting down farming if we are all going to starve to death and they will be no one left on the planet.

I'd suggest there are a whole lot more sensible things to target and raise awareness of than complain about c02 emissions from an absolutely essential industry that keeps us all alive.

Wonder how much Co2 is generated by something Unnessacary like for instance, 4th of july Fireworks.  Around the US there must be hundreds of tons of fireworks releasing massive amounts of Co2.  Maybe questioning that and trying to have fireworks banned as the unnecessary and wasteful Co2 they generate would be a better place to start asking questions.  Then you can move on to other things that are a lot less essential than food production.

Criticizing co2 from agriculture sounds like a poorly thought out complaint straight out of the Green rabble rousing play book to push the agenda without thinking  the Idea through logically and practically.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3322 on: February 17, 2019, 04:34:30 pm »
[...] smoke a couple of marijuana joints and mellow out before making you next post.  Keep you mind open so you can lean something nd think about it [...]

Now I know why you say the things you say.  >:D
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3323 on: February 17, 2019, 05:04:49 pm »
[...] smoke a couple of marijuana joints and mellow out before making you next post.  Keep you mind open so you can lean something nd think about it [...]

Now I know why you say the things you say.  >:D

Dude your the one who needs it, not me.  Just look at the things people have posted about your posts.  You need a bit of chillin.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3324 on: February 17, 2019, 07:59:21 pm »
Also growing crops needs fertilizer (made from fossil fuels nowadays) and animals tend to release methane. Add to that that most part of the crops aren't used and left to rot (and thus releasing CO2 and methane) the net result of farming is that it may release more greenhouse gasses than get absorbed. And lets not forget everything being grown gets eaten at some point.
A big part of sustainable farming is reducing use of animals. (Keep in mind it's not necessarily going 100% vegan - the keyword to search by is "plant based diet".) Other than that, there needs to be more investment in making biofuels and other products from food crop waste. As well as more effort put into minimizing food waste in general.

The good news is that anyone can switch to a sustainable diet (or at least less unsustainable diet) at basically any time.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf