Author Topic: 1979 Atari Asteroids with no video other than a dot in the middle of the screen  (Read 1873 times)

Offline VohlfTopic starter

Hello all,

I am not an electronics guy but was wanting to see if I could repair the issue I have with some help. I have a 1979 Atari Asteroids arcade machine that has no video other than a dot in the middle of the screen after adjusting a pot on the circuit board connected to the monitor. The board hooked up to the monitor shows a red light when the game is on. There appears to be some type of power supply as well on the other side, it is a silver box and hums pretty loud. Game play works and so does the sound. I appreciate any help provided, I would really like to keep my original monitor :) Thanks!

Offline LateLesley

• Frequent Contributor
A dot in the middle of the screen suggests the deflection coils aren't operating, which could be any number of issues, from power to an input signal problem to the display. The chances are the whole system will need checking over, and probably a lot of capacitors replaced, and with the high voltages involved, I wouldn't recommend you attempt this with little experience. I'd look for someone local who is competent with electronics to go through it, and bring it back to life. I say this, as there's some pretty high voltages (1,000s) kicking about some of those circuits, and it's far from an ideal first project if you are unfamiliar with electronics and safe ways of working with high voltages.

Get someone with experience to help you. In Person.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Wait - this is a vector display, so no signal to the monitor just gives a dot in the center of the screen.
Don't leave it like this long, it can burn the phosphor.
The main board might be dead, so no signal being made to the screen.
More info and manuals: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=6939

The following users thanked this post: LateLesley

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
The schematic scans on that site are terrible. Total garbled mess of chopped up bits. I have yet to find the flyback driver, that'll tell you what voltages are good.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline LateLesley

• Frequent Contributor
Wait - this is a vector display, so no signal to the monitor just gives a dot in the center of the screen.
Don't leave it like this long, it can burn the phosphor.
The main board might be dead, so no signal being made to the screen.
More info and manuals: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=6939

I'd never come across a vector display before. I thought it was just like an ordinary CRT. Thanks for the lesson. :)

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:26:32 pm by NivagSwerdna »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf