Author Topic: 2 burned resistors on FG-2002C Goldstar function generator  (Read 2207 times)

Offline stevengendronTopic starter

• Contributor
2 burned resistors on FG-2002C Goldstar function generator
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »
Hi! I have a Goldstar FG-2002C function generator and 2 resistors (R84 and R85) burned.
I looked everywhere online and I can't find the diagrams. Is there anyone how has acces to these kind of documents that could tell me what these resistors values are please ?
Or if anyone has the same generator and has time to look inside to help me it would be really appreciated.

Thank you :)

• Contributor
Re: 2 burned resistors on FG-2002C Goldstar function generator
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:10:36 pm »
By the way, the body color is green but it is identified has R on the PCB. Is that really a resistor or is it a choke ?

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »
Where does the upper end go to?

A square inch of PCB is not much to go on, but, it looks like the resistors are in parallel and possibly connect to what looks like the output of an amplifier - so does the other end of the pair go to the output BNC ? If it does I would say there is a good chance that they are 100 \$\Omega\$ each - giving you a 50 \$\Omega\$ output impedance.  And they've probably been damaged by power being shoved back-up the output!

Another photo with a slightly larger view of the PCB, same ligthing, may be useful. Also a photo of the same area on the reverse side of the PCB.

The following users thanked this post: mcinque

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:49:55 pm »
Where does the upper end go to?

A square inch of PCB is not much to go on, but, it looks like the resistors are in parallel and possibly connect to what looks like the output of an amplifier - so does the other end of the pair go to the output BNC ? If it does I would say there is a good chance that they are 100 \$\Omega\$ each - giving you a 50 \$\Omega\$ output impedance.  And they've probably been damaged by power being shoved back-up the output!

Another photo with a slightly larger view of the PCB, same ligthing, may be useful. Also a photo of the same area on the reverse side of the PCB.

This would be my guess as well. These resistors probably provide the 50 ohm output impedance, and it seems to be quite common for these output resistors to burn in function generators. I'd replace them with larger power-handling units and also elevate them a little bit above the PCB.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:21:20 pm »
Thanks. You where right. It did not go directly to the output (it passed trought switches first) but by following the traces on the pcb, I found that it was inderectly connected to it.
I installed 2 x 100 ohms resistors and it worked.
thank you :)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 05:42:19 pm »
You have an hand made schematic for an FG-8002 :   https://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/63443/Goldstar_FG-8002.html

He wrote : there maybe errors
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:46:11 pm by coromonadalix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf