Author Topic: 27Mhz Gate opener remote  (Read 5148 times)

Offline numloxxTopic starter

• Contributor
27Mhz Gate opener remote
« on: July 25, 2015, 04:56:49 am »
Hi all,

I hope I've chosen the correct forum for this.
I've got 2 remote control's for our apartment carpark gates, and I'm wondering if there is any way of improving the range of them.
They generally work within 10-25m, but I'm wondering if there is any way to improve the existing settings, or improve them at all?

The larger remote uses a MM53200N chip (B9730AB), unsure what the other smaller one is.

I know basis electronics, so still new for me. :) Be gentle.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:36:08 am by numloxx »

• Contributor
Re: 27Mhz Gate opener remote
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:09:17 am »

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:17:48 am »
Assuming that there is nothing wrong with the remotes, you basically have these options:

- Increase antenna gain
- Increase transmit power

Given the antennas shown in your pictures, my guess is that you probably can't do much better for the same amount of physical space. If you change the antenna, you will probably have to go through the process of retuning it. 27MHz is a rather low frequency (but I really know nothing about gate openers!); a quarter wave antenna at this frequency would be almost 3M long! Most CB antennas in this range are 300mm at least.

What sort of range are you looking for ?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:50:08 am »
Any increase would be good. But I'm wondering how to go about and tune it better.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 06:05:44 am »
Your best chance of improving the range is at the receiver and whilst there find out if it is an Elsema or ATA, there may even be both brands in use and these handsets although using the same operational frequency are slightly different and so are the receiver boards.

Your dip switch code settings appear to be the same but on some earlier units the settings would be inverted on one of them when used on a single receiver, the reason for this is simply that they are or were two independent manufacturers so cross compatibility was never a consideration.

You also need to be careful as other residents will have remote access so dont touch the receiver settings or trim pots, you may be able to just add a small whip antenna to it, 10 to 25 meters is acceptable for these so I wouldn't be to worried about it unless you are regularly approaching the driveway entrance at 100 kph, you can get up to and beyond 100 meters on the Elsema's if you know what you are doing.

Muttley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:58:50 am by Muttley Snickers »

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 10:26:04 am »
Sorry yes, I forgot to mention, it's tuned to 27.145Mhz, as per the crystal on the larger remote. Both remotes operate on the same frequency.
Both remotes operate the same gates (We have 2 gates), and there are 70 apartments in the complex that I live in.
One of the two gates has an antenna on the top of the unit, so might push for that on the second gate (Which is the one I use).

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 10:44:06 am »
Do you have two gates or two independent sets of gates, there is a difference and the better that you explain the configuration the easier it makes it for people to assist rather than make assumptions, most are here to help but we need your eyes to see what is needed.

Best Regards

Muttley

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 10:56:15 am »
Gate A and Gate B
Gate A is operated by button 1 on either remote.
Gate B is operated by button 2 on either remote.

Both small and large remote serve the same purpose. I bought the smaller one to carry with me, and larger one stays in the car.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 11:10:16 am »
So why do you want to open the gate from out of visible range?  If you are using it instead of a pedestrian gate then the complex might be rather cheesed at you for using up the limited number of cycles the gate has before it breaks, or you are speeding in the complex and endangering any person walking around a comer into your path.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:24 am »
Tip: remove GPS coordinates from your photos and blank out the switch settings before posting... :o :palm:

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 11:24:30 am »
SeanB is correct, you should only operate the gates whilst they are able to be visually supervised, cars get damaged, people get hurt and if you drive away and knock the remote then it can be a security concern for everyone else. If you need further assistance then you can send me a PM if required.

You should discuss the gate operation with other residents to find out if it is only you with an issue, if not  then you need to submit a written request to the property managers to have it addressed.

Muttley

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 11:28:33 am »
Tip: remove GPS coordinates from your photos and blank out the switch settings before posting... :o :palm:

:-DD... :-+..Well spotted, the next time I go out on the rabbits your coming along.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 11:35:31 am »
Thanks, GPS coordinates are not accurate, but thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf