Author Topic: 2SK216 + 2SJ79 Replacement FET´s for Denon PMA-1560  (Read 4057 times)

Offline MortenTopic starter

2SK216 + 2SJ79 Replacement FET´s for Denon PMA-1560
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »
Hi All.

I am repairing a Denon PMA-1560 integrated amplifier, and i have found that one of the pre-driver FET´s, the 2sk215 i shorted, and therefor needs replaced.

I have used a great deal of hours trying to find a reputable source for this replacement, none found, unfortunatly, it seems that they are not made anymore :(.

At Ebay, i bought 5pcs. 2sj79 + 5 pcs. 2sk216 for 6 dollars, knowing that they almost certainly were fakes, but maby they were at least usable. Now 5 weeks after ordering them from some guy in china, they have arrived, and i tested them, my tester told me that they tested like a FET, yes the 2sk parts had a Vgs on of around 3,1v fairly high, the datasheet say max of 1,5v, and the 2sj parts had a Vgs of aroud 1,8v, closer to what the datasheet say.

I mounted the parts in the outputmodule, attached my DMM on the bias testpoints, and fortunately i used my variac to bring up the voltage, at 20 volts in, i had 200mv of bias  :(
After some probing around i found that it seemed like the brand new FET´s were shorted drain - source, i pulled the part and tested it, no problem still tested like a FET on my tester, and my DMM agreed, no short.
What i found was that the drain and source pins were switched inside the transistor, originaly the pinout is GSD, the new ones both the 2sk and the 2sj parts were GDS,  :-DD come on..... when you make fake transistors, at least try to get the pinout right, these ones is going in the bin. |O

Now i have ordered 2 transistors sold as New Old Stock, at 13 dollars, and this time in Germany, so with a bit of luck they should be here in Denmark in a couple of days.

Now to the real question, can someone help me find some suitable replacements for those 2 transistors, i dont feel like paying 8-10 dollars for a transistor i am not sure is original the next time i need to repair a output module in a Denon PMA-1560, it would be nice if the new part is obtainable at RS, farnell or digikey.

Hope someone is able to help me out here, i have found a couple of forum threads on other forums regarding this toppic, but there were no real conclution.

Best regards from Denmark.
Morten
/Greatings
Morten

Offline ArcticGeek

• Regular Contributor
Re: 2SK216 + 2SJ79 Replacement FET´s for Denon PMA-1560
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 04:09:02 am »
These are a bit unusual because of the GSD pinout, I think only Japanese semiconductors used that pinout.

I think the 2sk2013/2sj313 complementary pair should be very close.  You can get them at Analog Metric here:

http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=1242

I've never purchased from them, just found them doing a google search.  They aren't much cheaper, they're about $9 US for the pair.

Good luck.

Offline MortenTopic starter

Re: 2SK216 + 2SJ79 Replacement FET´s for Denon PMA-1560
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:01 am »
Thank you for your reply :-)

I will look in to those transistors, i had hoped to get something i little cheaper recomendet though :-)

Other sugestions are also verry much velcome.

Thanks
/Greatings
Morten

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf