Electronics > Repair

34401A with fault

(1/6) > >>

nedrysoft:
Hi,

I have a 34401A with a fault and I haven’t found any reference to people also having the same fault, so I figured I’d ask here.

Essentially what I am seeing is that after some amount of time while measuring a 5mV signal the meter stops reading real results and start throwing up random readings.

This happens regardless of whether the front or rear inputs are selected.

If I pull the ground probe off and reattach the fault appears to go away for a little while.

I’m trying to figure out whether other functions are affected, i.e whether this manifests in say resistance or current measuring modes.

I realise this is currently a hit of a vague description, but I thought I would ask here while I figure out whether anything else is affected in case this is a fault that somebody else has seen and remedied themselves.

Thanks.

coromonadalix:
can you run the sleft test    see some youtube video about it

nedrysoft:
Self test passes even when starting it while the meter is in this fault mode.

I’ve never seen any logged error codes either.

I’m currently running a 4W resistance check, but will run a V range test after.

wn1fju:
It seems like some of these 34401A units have a mind of their own.  With mine, if I leave it set to measure DCV (leads shorted) and come back an hour or two later, it sometimes has switched itself to ACV.  It has never thrown any kind of error, nor has mine ever made an inaccurate measurement.  Nobody (including me) seems to have the solution in my case.  Perhaps yours is just another manifestation of the 34401 going haywire for no good reason.

Miti:
 Check the front/rear switch for damage or oxidation/ contamination. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version