Author Topic: 3D Systems CUBE 3D printer, Repair attempt, (no heating)  (Read 20529 times)

Offline HighVoltageTopic starter

• Super Contributor
3D Systems CUBE 3D printer, Repair attempt, (no heating)
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:28:34 pm »
I bought this broken 3D Systems CUBE 3D printer from Toploser, knowing that it would not heat up at all.
See the sales thread here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-%28uk%29-3d-systems-cube-3d-printer/

So, today I took it apart for the first time.

The inline thermal fuse that is strapped to the extruder has 0.05 Ohm resistance and 77°C printed on it.
It seems to be OK

The Heating element (2 white PTFE wires) has a resistance of 28 Ohms
Seems to be OK too

The NTC (2 purple wires) has 200k at room temp and dropped to 100k, as soon as I bring some hot air to the extruder.
This also seems to be ok.

Any suggestions, what to test next?
I think I will open the bottom part and take a look at the power circuit for the extruder.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: soso

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 3D Systems CUBE 3D printer, Repair attempt, (no heating)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:21:08 pm »
All electric circuits need power to work so the extruder is no exception.It could be possible the extruder is open circuit thus it does not heat up so need a replacement if the power supply is still functioning.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 04:39:13 pm »
I would look at the temperature controller, either a dry joint or a failed semiconductor device, or a shorted wire to the sensor.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 05:00:09 pm »
Any suggestions, what to test next?
the mosfet driving the heat element
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 05:58:02 pm »
Thank you all for the feedback.

The solution was much more simple.
The heater supply cable was squeezed between the PCB and a mounting hole and was shortened.
As unbelievable as it sounds, that is what it was.

After "fixing" this little problem the heater started to work right away and the extruder got hot.
So hot, that my FLIR E4 (updated) was only showing >280 degree C

But.... after I fed the ABS material in to the feeder and all seemed to work, the printer got stuck.
So I restarted and suddenly it is asking me for an activation code
Since this printer was registered before, it complains during the registration, that this serial number has been activated before
Interesting world, in which we have to activate a standard hardware printer.
It seems I have to send them a mail and release the first activation of this printer.

Anyhow, more to come, I guess

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 05:59:51 pm »
And some more pictures of the PCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 04:59:22 pm »
OK, after many emails exchanged with the Cube support staff, I got the printer "activated" and a new firmware installed.

The extruder is heating up perfectly during the cartridge exchange and feeding of the material.
The ABS comes out of the hot nozzle as I would expect it to do.

But, as soon as I select a file for printing from the USB stick, the printer stops and does not do anything.
I would think it is waiting for the nozzle to heat up but the extruder stays cold and nothing happens.
At this stage there is also no voltage at the heating element.

Anyone having an idea, what to do next?

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:19:13 pm »
"Loading print file" stuck on the screen.

Maybe try a different USB stick?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:02:10 am »
"Loading print file" stuck on the screen.

Maybe try a different USB stick?

Yes, I tried a few different sticks already.
The last support mail I got from cube said to leave it alone and wait.
So, I left it alone over night and still have the same message on the screen this morning.

The support team also said, that the heater will only turn on after the print file has been processed completely. And based on the message "Loading print file" it has not been processed by the Cube. Hmm... seems to be a software issue?

Well, one good thing is the responsiveness of the Cube support team.
Once I had their email address, ( cubifysupport@cubify.com ) they responded withing minutes.
And their help to get the Cube activated and a new FW installed was perfect.

I will just write them another mail to figure out this last problem.

BTW, if someone needs it, here is a link to the latest FW 2.08
https://3dsystems.teamplatform.com/l/a17b9803

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:16:45 am »
What about sending the file to it via the wifi connection?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 08:25:23 am »
What about sending the file to it via the wifi connection?

For some other reasons, I can not connect to wifi, although I am entering the correct wifi password, when the Cube is asking for it.
I think I have to hook up an older access point and remove all security settings.
That would be a good next step, before Cube support will answer.
Tanks

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:35:05 am »
OK, I found a really old WiFi Access Point and hooked it up to the network with unrestricted access.
The Cube found the AP right away and connected without any problems
The PC saw the Cube right away on the list of "Cube currently on LAN via Wi-Fi"
Clicking on connect, establishes what seems to be a good connection > "Successfully connected to Cube"
Importing and building a 3D model also seems to work perfectly
But...
As soon as I click on "PRINT" it hangs and nothing shows up on the Cube display
It is suppose to ask, if I want to print the file that is just being sent by WiFi

Hmm.  I guess I have to wait and see what the Cube support has to say.

Yesterday they told me I should re-flash the firmware 3 times!
LOL

I made some screenshots, mainly for the cube support people
Here they are attached.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 07:51:46 pm »
This is the answer I just got in regards to WiFi, LOL

Hello,
The Cube 2 WiFi connectivity is not compatible with most current network structures, and we advise that users stick with USB drive file transfers.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Hmmm, back to the USB drives
May be it is the same as with the Agilent scopes and the Cube takes only special USB thumb drives.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 08:42:53 pm »
Next reply from tech support about which USB stick to use will say "Cube only works with certain unspecified memory devices and we recommend wifi transfer of files"!!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problems getting this printer to work.

I was going to buy it from Toploser but I did some background reading on it and decided otherwise. Sadly your experiences with this printer are not uncommon 😔 Many users report the sudden failure to heat the extruder and an inability to get the printer to accept print files. Though you have had good communications with the support team, most reports I have read state that the printer had to be returned to the agent for rectification work. Sadly no detail of the causes was provided with the returned machine. One chap had three of these printers, all failed to print after a short period of use.

Bearing in mind the above, unlike many products, I think you need to look at this printer as a flawed firmware or PCB that needs more investigation into exactly what is, and is not functioning.

My UP! mini has calibration and test modes that are controlled by the PC. Does your printer have a setup mode that allows you to activate the print function to ensure that at least the X Y Z and extruder functionality is correct. This is important as if the printer detects an issue with its functionality it may go into a fault loop that prevents loading of the print file.

Are you certain that the file you are trying to load is compatible with the printer. I have read the files produced by some 3D CAD programs do not work with some 3D printers despite being the correct type.

Maybe customer support can send you a file that they know works with their printer.

I am new to 3D printing so cannot offer expert help. I am aware that some brands of printer are very fussy about how they are fed ! I am appalled that the printer cannot cope with modern WiFi .... That is just plain daft. This printer is not that old so I suspect that the WiFi transceiver is flawed in some way that they cannot fix through a firmware update.

I am honestly sorry that you are having these issues but hope you discover a way forward. I would help if I could. The most common failure on your printer is said to be extruder heater failure to heat so keep this in mind. Your problem could still be hardware failure instigated.

Aurora
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:00:01 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »
Give tech support a few more days to sort it out. If there's no solution then just chuck it in the trash and you have some credit against your next 'bargain'. Sorry it's been a bit of an ordeal despite being such a trivial fix.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 10:18:13 pm »
@Toploser,

You are always very honest with us when selling your equipment. I can only speak for myself, but when buying equipment that is stated as faulty, I expect to face a challenge and, for me, that is part of the fun. I see nothing in this sale for you to be at all sorry about. You sold a faulty unit at a knock down price. Nout wrong with that. I decided not to buy as I already have the UP! Mini and another £200 was overloading my hobby budget for that month.

If the OP gets fed up with this printer, I would offer it a home if we could agree a value.

Aurora

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »
I was going to buy it from Toploser but I did some background reading on it and decided otherwise. Sadly your experiences with this printer are not uncommon. Many users report the sudden failure to heat the extruded and an inability to get the printer to accept print files.
Same here. I've read that this printer can be pain in the ass to use and only accept very expensive proprietary filament. So decided against buying, though it was very tempting.

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:22 pm »
It did come with an extra spool of filament though, bit of a bonus like the 2 x 64GB USB sticks that somebody found with their RasPi bargain bundles  :palm:

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 10:53:32 pm »
Your a good and very honourable man Ian, never doubt it  :-+

Aurora

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 11:07:18 pm »
Thank you :)

Marmite is the word you were looking for though haha

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 01:48:20 am »
I like Marmite  ;D

Aurora

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34:24 am »
This is the answer I just got in regards to WiFi, LOL
Hello,
The Cube 2 WiFi connectivity is not compatible with most current network structures, and we advise that users stick with USB drive file transfers.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Hmmm, back to the USB drives
May be it is the same as with the Agilent scopes and the Cube takes only special USB thumb drives.
try different usb/sd stick, if all fail, dont trash it there is still last hope... you already have the complete hardware, the problem is software. if you check the main mcu is atmel avr then probably you can look into reflashing the latest marlin FW, but thats one a battle to learn...good luck.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 08:45:52 am »
Thanks for all your feedback.
I am traveling for the next few days and will try a few new USB sticks with different formatting when I am back.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:39 am »
Some devices  need older small capacity USB sticks. Modern large capacity sticks cause them problems.
Try one that is less than 512MB.

Aurora

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf