Author Topic: 54522a Battery repair/relocation  (Read 521 times)

Offline SometimestheDragonWinsTopic starter

54522a Battery repair/relocation
« on: July 06, 2022, 07:40:50 pm »
I have a 54522a purchased from an auction a few years back and it had the typical failure mode that the whole 545** series has when the internal 17450 (3v) battery goes flat. I am just wondering if my fix of soldering wires to the PCB and running them outside of the scope to an 18650 (3.7v) battery holder is going to end up giving me problems down the line. So far it seems to have worked and i got the scope to accept the newest firmware from keysight.

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 54522a Battery repair/relocation
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 11:42:18 am »
I did the external battery trick on my 54522A a few years ago and have had no problems whatsoever.

In fact, I have had many pieces with internal RAM backup batteries that died.  What I usually do is to replace them with two alkaline AA batteries in one of those cheap sealed plastic battery holders.  Usually there is enough space inside the piece to mount the holder internally.  I've never had any problems doing that except, of course, that the batteries will eventually leak.  But that's the purpose of the holder - to contain the leak.  When the original battery was a rechargeable type, I simply put a diode in series with my AAs to prevent charging. 

My only regret is that I didn't put some sort of label on the pieces that I put new batteries in, so I have no idea when looking at a piece whether or not I ought to check on the batteries every couple of years.  Oh well, live and learn.

Offline abdulbadii

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: 54522a Battery repair/relocation
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 02:19:10 pm »
just identify lin. reg, ie. its property specs, beside it if it's ok for 3.7V

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf