Author Topic: SideKey replacement for smart phone MobiWire STARXTREM 5  (Read 1093 times)

Offline maelhTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
SideKey replacement for smart phone MobiWire STARXTREM 5
« on: December 08, 2023, 05:51:40 pm »
Hi,

I was looking for a replacement side key for an old smart phone MobiWire STARXTREM 5. Unfortunately there is very little to be found online.

I bought one replacement side key which is for a Huawei phone, which has the right connector and plugs in alright. I was hoping it might have the right key assignment/proper assignment of the connector pins to the buttons, but apparently it doesn't, as it makes the phone think several keys are pressed or still held down, when that's not the case.

For reference that's the replacement I tried (NOT the original from "my" phone, which is broken):
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B081YVHWHL

The model number given on the flat flex cable of the original (now broken keys) was: WQ30 H556 SIDEKEY

Does somebody know a compatible sidekey by any chance? Or it not, a way to modify such a flat flex cable to correct the button assignment, or at least attach normal magnet/hookup wire? The connectors are tiny, but maybe someone has a trick up their sleeves.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 05:56:17 pm by maelh »

• Regular Contributor
Re: SideKey replacement for smart phone MobiWire STARXTREM 5
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 06:31:22 pm »
It would already help to know the connector type shown in the pictures. Then I could maybe find a breakout board. Or if there is a method to expose the contacts on the flat flex cable.

Offline BlownUpCapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 07:43:49 pm »
If you still have the original flex cable for the phone, have you considered replacing the buttons on the flex cable?
Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 08:31:34 pm »
The original flex cable is damaged, so that's not an option unfortunately.

Does anyone know the exact name of the connector plug shown in the pictures?

Offline BlownUpCapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
  • pssSSHHH BOOM!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 11:22:59 pm »
The plug looks like the plugs apple uses in their products.

Also fixing flex cable is very much possible, depending on the condition. Perhaps try posting a photo of the damaged part.

Usually it's better to fix the broken component than go searching for it if it takes a long time to find a good replacement. I do this often.
Love the smell of burning capacitor electrolyte in the morning.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 12:49:21 am »
Pretty sure it's Hirose, check them out.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 11:31:53 am »
The plug looks like the plugs apple uses in their products.

Also fixing flex cable is very much possible, depending on the condition. Perhaps try posting a photo of the damaged part.

Usually it's better to fix the broken component than go searching for it if it takes a long time to find a good replacement. I do this often.

The connector broke off the cable, so I can't fix the cable. But I have another replacement one with wrong button assignment. Can you expose the traces of the flat flex without damaging the flat flex cable?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 11:35:08 am »
I did, but at least on the overview page for FFC/FPC they don't seem to have anything of that kind. There are over 600 alone for FFC/FPC connectors, so I hoped someone would know that type of connector. It seems quite popular for LCDs as well.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 12:24:54 pm »
I did, but at least on the overview page for FFC/FPC they don't seem to have anything of that kind. There are over 600 alone for FFC/FPC connectors, so I hoped someone would know that type of connector. It seems quite popular for LCDs as well.
That’s not a FFC/FPC connector at all, which is why you’re not finding anything. See my response in your other thread.

The following users thanked this post: maelh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf