Author Topic: Advantest R3132 Spectrum Analyzer repair information  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Advantest R3132 Spectrum Analyzer repair information
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:47:51 am »
There is already  thread discussing the repair of the Advantest R3131 spectrum analyzer and that also contains R3132 discussions.

I thought it might be useful to start a new thread for the R3132 model so that information on its repair may easily be found with searches.

I am uploading information that I have authored whilst repairing several of these analyzers in 2013. The information relates to the 2nd Local Oscillator as this drifts off tune with age. It is a very common fault that causes a self-calibration error.

I hope this information is of interest and help to others.

I am a member of the Yahoo Advantest Instruments Group and have uloaded these files to that Groups file area already.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: sbvr4

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Advantest R3132 Spectrum Analyzer repair information
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 11:48:48 am »
R3132 RF module block diagram

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:42 am »
R3132 2nd Local Oscillator pseudo schematics (sketches really)

There are two versions of the 2nd Local Oscillator. The early version is slightly different and uses different supply voltages to those of the later version.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:58:04 am »
The 2nd Local Oscillator alignment guide that I created from my experience with the later Type 2 RF modules. It must be modified when used on the early models as the supply voltage is incorrect for the early type 1 module. The alignment routine is somewhat unorthodox but I had five RF modules to repair and it was the most efficient way to align them. I had a known good RF module that provided the information I needed to produce these alignment process.

The file is a tiny bit over Dave's file size limit so I have had to compress it in a Zip file.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:01:36 pm »
After discussion on the Yahoo Advantest Instruments forum, I quickly wrote some comment on the earlier type of 2nd L.O and some thoughts on another alignment method that is more scientific. Here it is in all its rough glory  :)

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: KarelP

Offline KarelP

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:44:24 pm »
I did a complete reverse engineering job on the PLL circuit of the 2e local oscillator and made a 8 page document containing pictures with the circuit and measurement information. It is in PDF format.  There is little information on this specrum analyser I think it might be benificial to a lot of people. I included the circuit but there is more information in the 8 page document but the file is to big to uplode
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:03:52 pm by KarelP »

Offline KarelP

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:15:39 pm »
I found a way to downsize my document to send it as an attachment. The circuit in the document is a bit small now but i will include a full size circuit as a separate file.
Help and comments welcome  ;)

Offline KarelP

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:17:56 pm »
I completed the 2e Local oscillator circuit further. The 2e page of the circuit now also contains the VCO and the Local power supply circuit for the PLL and VCO.
I’m still missing  information on some of the components. Douse anyone know, e.g.  the type of the Varicap diodes in the VCO some IC’s and transistors are also still a mystery. ?
I’m still waiting for the MMIC’s that I ordered but I’m not so sure of my first failure analysis anymore.
I have following problem: The spectrum analyzer works fine for a couple of minutes but when it warms up the level of the 2e LO fades away and the PLL get’s Out-Of-Lock.  The VCO and the first gain block (ERA-5) are under suspicion. However when I test the unit open on the table with only the 11.5V connected to the VCO then the VCO output level is stable. The power supplies are stable, no problem there. The VCO output is measured with a power meter connected to the SMA connector.
Anyone, any ideas? Help is very welcome

Offline KarelP

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 01:13:26 pm »
Problem(s) solved:
The trick, I placed a small piece of copper tape on the dielectric trim and the frequency instantly jumped up.
I also mannaged to get the tracking generator back on track in a similar manner. See document in attchment.

The following users thanked this post: sbvr4

Offline sbvr4

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 04:54:26 pm »
Just stumbled upon this post. KarelP, this is awesome. Thank you very much.  :-+

I believe your mystery C1J chip is a NEC UPC2713T. I've attached the datasheet for it. 

sbvr4

The following users thanked this post: KarelP

Offline KarelP

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 06:47:32 pm »
Thanks for datasheet sbvr4 the markings on the chip are correct and also the function is correct.  I think you nailed it . Also thank you for the reply I was under the impression that nobody was reading my posts and that I used the wrong media in my attempt to help fellow Advantest owners. I’m convinced that the problem of VCO frequency drift is happening  :-+in all their products using this type of VCO’s and PCB material

Offline sbvr4

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 08:09:04 pm »
No problem. I have two different Advantest units that I am in the process of repairing, which would not be possible without the tremendous contribution both you and Fraser have made regarding these SAs. For what it is worth, I've found the R3265A service manual (link below) to be a huge help as well with clarification of diagnoses. The manual precedes Rohde and Schwarz's acquisition, and is from the golden age of component-level diagnoses. It is split up into 3 parts and includes very detailed block diagrams, troubleshooting techniques and schematics. The theory of operation is fundamentally the same despite the architecture being largely different.

http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Advantest
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:22:21 pm by sbvr4 »

Offline RF_STUDENT

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 06:00:40 am »
Thank you for the links to the  Advantest R3265A Service manuals and the work you guys have put in. I just purchased a R3265A on Ebay for $700 which I thought was a good deal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf