Author Topic: ADVANTEST R3465 DOESNT RETAIN DATE AND CONFIG  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Armando1989Topic starter

• Contributor
ADVANTEST R3465 DOESNT RETAIN DATE AND CONFIG
« on: April 19, 2021, 07:06:02 am »
Hi all
Recently i purchased r3465 which looks fine wo any cal error (even last cal was 2006), the problem i see is following:
Does not retain date nor settings saved, at boot up date is "?????????". Sometimes if u change settings it get stuck into black screen after "advantest" loading screen. That happens also when switch off/on quickly.
Ive opened it and internal 3.6v battery is dead. I suppose this battery doesnt retain cal data
As no found any cal error, but i dont have any service manual. Furthermore after closing again it looks as if it loosed the cal data as self cal failed, then it came again to life ufff... Weird, maybe it has some routine and detect if opened. Does enybody experienced this behavior and knows if can change battery safely?.
Thanks in advance :D

Online alm

• Super Contributor
Re: ADVANTEST R3465 DOESNT RETAIN DATE AND CONFIG
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:34:33 am »
I don't have experience with this particular piece of equipment, but I find it unlikely that replacing an already dead battery would make anything worse. It may well be that cal data is stored in EEPROM, and the battery is only for date / time and maybe user data like saved settings.

If you are confident that the battery measures much less than 3V, then I see no harm in replacing it with a new battery of the same type and voltage.

The following users thanked this post: Armando1989

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:06:30 pm »
just change the battery, i did it on mine and the date memory is recovered... i have to manually mod and soldered because replacement battery is not quite 100% the same footprint.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 04:25:29 pm »
Update
Changed battery with new one, now it retains
Date and config.
One thing still happened i switched it on opened, stuck on black screen, reboot and it appears no calibrate and 30mhz signal was noisy, closed again, calibration still fails for any of the tests, after few time warming up all again came to life and so far is fine... I wish if someone knows why that behavior it appears as if it knows it was opened ???. So far so good calibration is fine and now i can keep date and config after bootup :)

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 04:27:51 pm »
Sorry i didnt read your post, thanks man.
Yes it was 0v so no voltage to support any ram alive jajaja... I changed with fresh 3.6v one and thats all, the only thing that scared me was the calibration failure before some time warming up closed..

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 04:29:28 pm »
Jajja we used the damn same french saft battery, well i added some glue pastw below thats all... So wish it last for years ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 06:08:38 pm »
Now the remaining issue i see is that sometimes when switch on, it get stuck after advantest white loading screen and remains black screen, keyboard does no respond just shift button press lights green and remains stuck green.   |ONormally it sounds a relay inside and then appears the graph, however when this happens screen is black and thats all, workaround is reboot. Somebody has had this issue or has any clue what might cause processor to get stuck? Bad ram? Video chips...?
Thanks in advance :)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 01:00:53 am »
i think due to its age, some components start to give up. my advantest will report calibration error at some stage, still havent figure out how to fix it. its still working, but due to incomplete calibration, measurement reading will be questionable. i bought another anritsu SA just to cross check when i do measurement later and i have KC901V VNA (with SA feature) and cheap china SA module just to increase my confidence. ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 09:15:29 am »
I see
So i guess there is no way to figure out... I dont even have the service manual, i asked Advantest for it but they just give me a NO. :clap:
Calibration seems fine, it happened just when opened it... The other black screen issue is unknown ::)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 12:37:01 pm »
as members usually suggested. problem during cold startup may indicates cold/loose joints. maybe resolder them may fix the problem. the problem is finding which one. if display is problem, maybe seaching at lcd circuit may narrow it down. this happens to my old Lecroy DSO, but i have no time yet to fix it. first time boot during cold, blank screen. turning it off and on again fixes it.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 02:50:31 pm »
Without any service manual nor schematic... Difficult, it may need a reflow of motherboard or so... At least a heat gun, flux 0 residue on all chips and go ahead... Risky :palm:

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 11:55:51 pm »
Just to make it clearer... Is not black screen, is black screen+date but no relay click and change to current spectrum display.
Br

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 08:06:48 pm »
Hi again
Another intermitent issue i found that i think is when cold (specially when unplugged from power wall) is the following:
LO signal is noisy as well as 30MHz calibration appears noisy and power level is incorrect, frequency isnt. After reboot sometimes it clears and or when running new calibration. There is no yig unlock noticed and frequency appears correct but something else may be not... Im thinking into apply heat on motherboard. :palm:

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 03:18:21 pm »
Omg guys
Now after some time during meassurement of 10mhz 6dBm signal, the amplitude just droped down and cannot calibrate any longer... I wish if atenuator is the fault now :palm: :palm: is the last time i purchase on second hand this is sick.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 09:49:05 am »
Hi dudes
After a little bit more of research and re-think, i think problem may be fisrt mixer. Yig bandpast filter has nothing to do with the fact that the LO leakage AS WELL as the imput signal is downed 10dB... i think thats a conversion gain problem, either caused by heat or some other type of degradation. You think is worth trying to repear mixer somehow or is not? :-/O :-\
Let me see your views.
Thanks!
BR

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf