Author Topic: Need help identifying component  (Read 316 times)

Offline _rushin_or_draggin_Topic starter

• Contributor
Need help identifying component
« on: February 23, 2024, 10:38:33 pm »
Hey all, I hope I’m posting this in the right section. I recently had a lightning strike nearby and the HDMI port on my NVR no longer works. Everything else works fine, including the VGA output. With that in mind, I’m focusing my attention around the HDMI port section of the PCB and notice 2 ICs each 10 pins. The only text on them is 33C and on the soldermask D34 and D35. It looks like the positive and negative pins from the HDMI TMDS channels and clock go into one side and the other side goes to something under a heat sink. Only 4/5 pins on each side are used and the middle pin is NC. I’ll try to attach a photo. Thanks!

Offline selcuk

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need help identifying component
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 10:45:59 pm »
It can be an ESD diode. IP4283CZ10 or similar.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:12:15 pm by fzabkar »

Offline _rushin_or_draggin_Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 12:50:06 am »
Thank you for the datasheets! Quick question, since this IC is going on the TMDS channels, which are max 3.3V, should I get a TVS diode with a 3.3V working voltage or 5V?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 12:53:09 am »
You should check those TMDS lines for resistance to GND. If any is shorted, remove that ESD protection device. If still shorted after that, IC outputting HDMI is damaged.

Offline markusdd

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 01:20:34 pm »
exactly. these devices protect the HDMI retimer/en-/decoder chip that surely follows somewhere downstream.

you should be able to remove them and everything should still work. (or wwork again if one is shorted, which is what most likely happened.

If removing these does not fix it, then the downstream chip has suffered. another option is that these HDMI lines have additional external filters on them, these are also famous for going bad when ESD events occur.

Make sure to replce the ESD protection Diodes if one is bad, ESD surging on HDMI is common. You should be able to use any HDMI capable ESD diodes, they usually have this denoted in the datasheet, examples have been posted.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf