Author Topic: Agilent 16803A boot error  (Read 1136 times)

Offline rtekalTopic starter

• Contributor
Agilent 16803A boot error
« on: October 10, 2018, 08:41:46 am »
Hi

I have a windows 7 based Agilent 16803A logic analyzer at work, which was not booting up. I removed the HDD and connected it to a PC and performed check disk, with no errors. I backed up the data to my PC before putting it back into the instrument, and decided to do an factory recovery in the following steps.

1. Selected recovery option.
2. Ran the checkdisk without errors.
3. Ran the system drive repair.

Rebooted the instrument after every step, to see if the problem was resolved, but the problem remained.

4. Finally ran the recovery process. At 10%, a popup window came with the message that recovery was successful. After automatically rebooting, an error message was displayed that 'Winloader.exe' is corrupt or missing. Repeated the same recovery process multiple times and ended up with the same message. I did a slow motion video of the recovery process and on replaying saw that a error message was displayed for a split second, before it exited the recovery.

I am attaching the snapshot of error messages.

Suspecting the recovery partition to be corrupted, I got another working logic analyzer, into which I replaced the faulty HDD and ran the recovery which was successful. After restoring the recovered HDD to the primary instrument, checked it to be working fine. I monitored the instrument for a couple of days, recycling the power for any failures. The instrument worked fine.

My question is why did the recovery process fail in the primary instrument.

Regards

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: Agilent 16803A boot error
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 06:41:59 pm »
Did you swap the drives in the working unit or just add the faulty drive as a second HD?

TonyG

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:44:23 am »
I swapped the drive in the working unit. If not the original drive would be overwritten as the recovery software does not give an option for drive selection.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:46:40 am by rtekal »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:09:23 pm »
The recovery partition is on the drive that you swapped in so there wasn't anything wrong with it. Check that the bios settings match between the units.

When I reinstalled my 16902B I had to reset them as the battery had died on the board.

TonyG

The following users thanked this post: rtekal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 04:38:11 am »
will check it out

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf