Author Topic: Agilent 54810A infinium o'scope - possible upgrades?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline carl_labTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Agilent 54810A infinium o'scope - possible upgrades?
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:01:58 am »
Maybe I could get an Agilent 54810A for low money.

https://www.keysight.com/de/pd-1000001463%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-54810A/2-channel-500-mhz-1-gsa-s-infiniium-oscilloscope?nid=-32415.536880886&cc=DE&lc=ger

When I had the fat bomber on the bench, I was pretty disappointed. It has no soft keys and less functions than my older 54615A...
Later I realized you need a mouse to access some menues for the "hidden" functions. OK...
But I could not find SPI, I²C, or some other serial trigger modes nor decodes. Is it possible to upgrade that?

Is it possible to upgrade to 4 channels and/or higher bandwidth? Maybe any hardware hacks or software unlock codes?
Could it make sense to add some RAM, replacing the HDD by SSD, replacing the LS120 drive by something more common, replacing the CPU by a faster one, replacing windows 98(?) by XP, replacing the screaming jet engine-like fans by quieter ones...?
Any other parts that should be replaced (batteries, (DALLAS) RTC-chips)?

BTW: What's the differences between 54800 series and DSO8000 series, that looks pretty the same on first sight (besides the LS120/USB drive)?

DSO8000 series:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:47:29 pm by carl_lab »

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: Agilent 54810A infinium o'scope - possible upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:24:53 pm »
(From a post I made back in 2014 on the HP Agilent Yahoo group)

On the Acquisition board there is a 50MHz DIP 4 pin oscillator in a DIP14 package. Right next to it you'll find a resistor (R134) that is not populated. on the 54820A and 54825A it is populated with a zero Ohm resistor. Add the part or just short it out with a solder blob then power it up. The scope will boot and say it needs calibration; run the cal routines and you'll be good to go as a 2GS/s 54820A.

There are no decode options for these scopes.

You could make it a 54825A if you can score 2 A/D converters and sockets/hardware, a front panel, and the correct probe board. I've done it once, but given the price these go for these days, it might not be very economical.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and two attenuators.

No way to upgrade bandwidth.

XP is not possible. No drivers for the ACQ controller.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:29:20 pm by Jwalling »
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

The following users thanked this post: carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:25:28 pm »
Thank you Jay.

Is there a CLIP (component level info package) for these oscilloscopes?
All I found is a service manual, but it is only module level, not component level (no schematics, no component placement specification).

You could make it a 54825A if you can score 2 A/D converters and sockets/hardware, a front panel, and the correct probe board. I've done it once, but given the price these go for these days, it might not be very economical.

Maybe someone has some unused parts left over?  ;)

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 10:26:45 pm »
Thank you Jay.

Is there a CLIP (component level info package) for these oscilloscopes?
All I found is a service manual, but it is only module level, not component level (no schematics, no component placement specification).

Maybe someone has some unused parts left over?  ;)

No CLIP, but Ntnico found some pretty interesting component level info in the help files in his 54835A up-hack thread
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-54835a-scope-(4-channel-1ghz-4gss)-repair-uphack/msg1251605/#msg1251605

There's an ebay seller Watronics who probably has all the parts you would need... but he's in the US.
Jay

The following users thanked this post: carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 05:54:45 pm »
On the Acquisition board there is a 50MHz DIP 4 pin oscillator in a DIP14 package. Right next to it you'll find a resistor (R134) that is not populated. on the 54820A and 54825A it is populated with a zero Ohm resistor. Add the part or just short it out with a solder blob then power it up. The scope will boot and say it needs calibration; run the cal routines and you'll be good to go as a 2GS/s 54820A.

...some pretty interesting component level info in the help files in his 54835A up-hack thread
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-54835a-scope-(4-channel-1ghz-4gss)-repair-uphack/msg1251605/#msg1251605

I there an image showing R134 in that thread?

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:30:33 pm »

No, but it's not hard to find given it's proximity to the osc. and the silkscreen.
Jay

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 10:54:54 am »

No, but it's not hard to find given it's proximity to the osc. and the silkscreen.

I was asked in a PM to take a picture of the board showing where R134 is located, here it is highlighted in red.
Make sure you run a user calibration after the modification is performed.
Have fun!
Jay

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf