Author Topic: laptop power IC died, help iding it, yQDQA/yQDQ4 marking, acer ph315-55  (Read 1459 times)

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
hi, typing on phone, short descriptions. the computer was working fine, then after shutdown, no charging light, wouldnt turn on, battery voltage is present, charger voltage is present where it should be, no signs of life. IC found exploded as in picture, no success IDing it, any help welcome. Thank you

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
Re: laptop power IC died, help iding it, yQDQA/yQDQ4 marking, acer ph315-55
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 11:40:31 pm »
I'm betting it's a Silergy part.

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 11:49:01 pm »
thanks, looking for silergy power IC i found this: https://groups.google.com/g/datarecoverycertification/c/GOf_vB-c5o8?pli=1

the picture of it shows basically the same layout as my exploded chip. how likely is it that the same chip will have different markings?

thank you

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 12:05:17 am »
- wrong schematic, deleted -
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 02:25:12 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 12:22:44 am »
thanks, looking for silergy power IC i found this: https://groups.google.com/g/datarecoverycertification/c/GOf_vB-c5o8?pli=1

the picture of it shows basically the same layout as my exploded chip. how likely is it that the same chip will have different markings?

thank you

That thread is talking about this chip:

https://www.semiee.com/file/SILERGY/SILERGY-SY8386BRHC.pdf

Its marking is Qqxyz - Device code: Qq, x=year code, y=week code, z= lot number code

The case is important. For example, yQxyz and YQxyz refer to two completely different Silergy parts:

https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/2204071830_Silergy-Corp-SY7311AADC_C2986879.pdf

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 12:22:59 am »
thank you David! that is a different model, but i will take a look and see how different that section is.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 12:24:29 am »
Attached correct schematic now!
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 01:48:38 am by fzabkar »

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 01:45:55 am »
thanks David, that again isn't the right model, the chip, PUB1 is indeed the charger ic but isnt accompanied by the inductors mentioned. attaching more pictures. Thanks again!

(attaching one picture, phone wont resize to a low enough size for more)

in this picture, the red arrow shows the exploded ic, the yellow circle the charging circuit, and the red dot is connected to the battery's red dot with a diode, green dot to ground directly, that is what the capacitor was connected across. whe the charger is plugged in, i get 20v across what was the capacitor(it fell off when i tried to measure)
so that explains the diode to battery+.

the battery charging circuit is the bq 24800, and is getting the 20v from charger. i will check the pinout and see if there is any output to battery, but wuthout charging light on, i guess the charger ic isnt being enabled, maybe dependant on the blown ic.

thanks!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 01:55:54 am »
Then find the motherboard name and search it!

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 02:00:39 am »
yes, i've been trying to find it, no luck yet. thanks! it is a hh53a la-l992p rev 1c if anyone could share the schematic or has it and can give me the part name. thank you!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 02:04:08 am by Anthocyanina »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 02:23:41 am »
LA-992 r1b schematics, I don't think it's very different from r1c?

The pinout of the SY8388BRHC seems identical.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003630991643.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 02:01:58 pm by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: fzabkar, Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 02:32:09 am »
and it is the yQ part. thanks a lot David!

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 03:18:45 am »
FYI, I notice that the "B" part is a fixed 3V regulator whereas the "A" and "D" parts are variable, and have slight pinout differences.

https://datasheet.lcsc.com/lcsc/2207201830_Silergy-Corp-SY8388ARHC_C5110279.pdf
https://www.semiee.com/file/SILERGY/SILERGY-SY8388D3RHC.pdf

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 11:22:07 am »
alright, tonight i'm finally able to work on this. I've removed the bridge PJ302 which makes the output of that supply available to the system, but now, between +3VALW and ground, a 1 ohm path remains. between the output of PU301 and ground, it's a direct 0 ohm short, measures 0.1 ohm on my meter(same as shorting the probes) so this 1 ohm i measure between +3VALW and ground must be from something else that died that is connected on that rail. I've gone through the schematic probing at everything on that rail that i can find by eye, but i haven't been able to find all the ICs or other components connected to it.

searching by eye becomes very tedious, so, does anyone have the boardview and would be willing to share?

i'm completely broke and can't afford the ~10$ repair websites charge for it. this is not a job, i'm repairing this laptop for myself. i got it from a friend for very cheap cause it has some physical damage(it's bent and has some serious dents behind the display) so it's something i really would love to be able to fix it as i can't afford another laptop, much less one like this one, so any help with the files is extremely appreciated.

thank you all!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 11:40:14 am »
Ceramic caps LOVE to short out.
I've fixed a ton of expensive laptops where the culprit was a shorted 3.3Vaux cap, happened specially in Lenovo and Acer devices.

Inject 3.3V limited to 1A and see what heats up, if the short is very hard then it might need a lot more current, sometimes up to 5 Amps!

3.3V is basically connected to a thousand parts, you can't really diagnose a hard short even with the schematic and / or boardview, maybe with a microOhm meter, but not a common device.
A typical DMM won't be able to show anything either, as the smallest step is usually 0.1Ohms.

The easiest way is the current injection, if you have any small PSU at home.

You could make your own with an ATX PSU, connecting the 3.3V output through 2.2R 5W power resistors.

Buy two, first connect only one, so the current is limited to 1.5A.
If nothing heats up, connect the second resistor in parallel for 3A.
The resistors will get pretty hot, so keep them away from everything, will melt plastic parts and cause burns if not handled properly.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 12:04:26 pm by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Anthocyanina

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 12:22:47 pm »
You can see the cooked ceramic capacitor next to the PL silkscreen on the board, 2 ceramic chip capacitors, and an inline ferrite, with the capacitor looking very smoked, and a bead of silver extruding from it. Remove and replace with a new one, probably something around 22uF 10V, not too critical as it is X7R, and likely varies wildly anyway. you can even scrape off more of that soldermask by the capacitor, avoiding the tented vias, and solder in a 22uF 16V tantalum there, and get the same performance, just with less fireworks, as there is room, and there is enough height for a tant there anyway,.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 12:34:06 pm »
But PL311 is the input (19V), not the output.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 02:29:36 pm »
Then use a 25V part, again with replacing a multilayer ceramic any value from 4u7 to 22uF will work there.

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 02:31:50 pm »
thank you, i'll see if i have a supply that can source enough current to try that.

about the capacitor. it fell off when i was probing last week when i first encounter the problem. i cleaned the pads today, the only new development, regarding the hardware, is seeing there is still a short on that rail. there's another development, i plugged the os drive to my desktop, booted from it, and see the shutdown happened as scheduled according to the event viewer, so whatever killed that chip and anything else that is dead happened either on shutdown or after the computer was already off. I had scheduled a shutdown(falling asleep to a netflix show) so i was asleep when the computer died, but good to know it didn't happen when the computer was still on, that could be a clue, at least going from the power sequence timing in the pdf.

thanks again!

(still would appreciate a boardview if anyone would like to share)

edit:

thinking about it a bit more, it seems whatever happened at the exploded IC's location was not the cause, but a symptom. its output doesn't have current limiting protections in place, so i think it likely that the 1 ohm short on the rail pulled too much current and caused the explosion. this does not explain the shorted cap at its input tho, nor how it could have happened at or after shutdown, hmmm!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:13:40 pm by Anthocyanina »

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 02:32:57 pm »
Then use a 25V part, again with replacing a multilayer ceramic any value from 4u7 to 22uF will work there.

yes, thank you, i know that will need to be replaced, but since there are still other dead parts in the board, i'll need to find them before replacing other parts

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf