Electronics > Repair

Agilent E4407B Repair , No Video

(1/7) > >>

smgvbest:
I recently acquired a E4407B from Alltest for repair.  My thanks to them for accepting my offer.
I"m going to start a record on my repair of this unit here.

The symptoms of this unit is that it powers on,   Fan runs.   back-light comes on,  no display though.
I hooked up a monitor and nothing on the VGA port either.  I opened up the case to check the Boot Status LEDs on the A4 Board

I have DS1, DS7 and DS13 staying on,   This according to the service guide is a firmware checksum error.
This could be a bad load of the firmware,  it could also be due to bad FLASH SIM. or a chip on the SIM.

First thing I will do is pull the A4 board and re-seat the memory modules as well at the Boot EPROM.

I will try to try to re-load the firmware if that does not work.  This unit does have Option B72 so memory is not a problem in loading firmware.
The first issue I have is no 3.5" floppy drive to create the firmware disks nor do I have 9 3.5" floppy disks
Did a order with Amazon for a USB Drive and a box of disks.   they will be here Wednesday so little progress is likely to happen until then

I will start with that and see if i get any life out of it from from that.
what I hope if nothing else is to see the screen come alive prompting for disks.   that will at least tell me if display is alive or not.

here is the A4 board showing the Boot Status LEDS

smgvbest:
I removed the A4 board this morning and replaced the TimeKeeper/Snaphat,  I  did a visual inspection of the board and see nothing that stands out, I removed the DIMM/FLASH and cleaned contacts (they were ok, did for good measure) also removed the BOOT EPROM and reseated it and replaced the board.   not a big surprise but same symptom shown on the LEDs.
I also checked for signs of excessive heat from the chips and could not identify any.

I did take some pics of the A4 that I will post later after work
I'll create the 3.5 floppies tomorrow after the drive/discs arrive and see if I can flash the firmware.

smgvbest:
So I received the 3.5" USB drive today and it's defective.   Returning to Amazon and purchasing a new one from another company.
Can not believe I do no have some old PC laying around with a 3.5 drive.

Since there's a good chance the flash is bad (hence checksum) i ordered 2 flash memory just in case.

Any one in USA got a 3.5" drive that can burn the floppy discs for this by chance?

Keysight wants 140 for the 9 discs :O

smgvbest:
OK,   had a moment of clarity.
I have a Infinium with a 3.5" floppy.   hooked it to the network and i'm creating DISCs

smgvbest:
So,   Put in the ESA LOADER Disc and powered up.   got the same white screen and no video on the RGB port.   The Boot loader did read the disc but no video to know where it was at.
I left it for about 20 min then pressed enter and nothing.   

I remember reading a article that mentioned a bad loader disk and today my replacment 3.5' drive arrived and this one works
I ran a MD5 on the original files and compared the floppies,   all where good except the ESA Loader Disc
I wrote a new one and check it and it's good.

I put it in and powered up

This is very good,   this proves Video does work,   RGB does work.
also Boot Rom uses same Address, Data buffers as the FW Flash, Flash sim and DRAM so I know those are good

I had DS1 flashing steady at 1hz so the heart beat was good.
while loading DS7/DS13 where out

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version