Author Topic: Need help replacing TRRS on headset  (Read 693 times)

Offline Rocholl

Need help replacing TRRS on headset
« on: July 05, 2018, 02:16:18 pm »
Repairing corsair void headset as my cat chewed the wire to bits. I've shortened the wire and want to put a trrs plug so I can use a braided extension cable to avoid the problem happening again,

Left and right ear work fine when soldered but cant get the microphone to take any input, all I get is static, I'm a little confused by the wiring as the microphone wire seems to be a copper wire in white insulation covered in more copper wire, I've tried soldering both, only soldering the core all with no success.

Please can anyone that has experience replacing trrs point me in the right direction as I'm completely lost now, buying a terminal to see if its just bad soldering but I cant get the microphone to work even by holding the wires onto the connection (ground and microphone). The microphone itself was working the day before and it wasn't dropped at any point so I doubt the fault is there.

The only possibility I've come up with is the first time I went to wire I was extremely tired and actually wired everything in reverse, not sure if putting an audio signal into the mic could have completely bust it, I doubt it but I figured it was worth mentioning

Offline Rocholl

Re: Need help replacing TRRS on headset
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 02:32:49 pm »
after resoldering I now have nothing on the microphone line unless I play audio and record at the same time in which case i get the audio on the recording, however i cant see any shorts, picture for reference.

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
    • mathsquid blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:54:24 pm »
... i cant see any shorts...

Have you tested it for shorts using a continuity tester?  It sounds to me like one of the audio lines is shorted to the mic.

Offline Rocholl

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 03:02:36 pm »
haven't got a multimeter unfortunately, but I agree thats what I assumed so I resoldered it to a new plug entirely and still have the same issue

Offline Rocholl

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:51 am »
So I've now replaced with a solderless terminal and I am still having the same issue where the mic doesnt read my input and only reads a small version of my audio output e.g. music im playing in earphones when recording. Anyone have any idea what the issue could be here, have I well and truly fucked the headphones themselves by wiring it up wrong at some point?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 01:56:39 pm »
If the mike is the white wire with braid, then that’s the mike and its ground. You have *five* wires that have to go to *four* terminals, but it looks like you’ve only wired four wires.

Try this:

Tip: left (green)
Ring: right (red)
Ring: grounds (both the mike braid and the green/white ground for the channels)
Sleeve: mike (core)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf