Author Topic: Agilent U3401A  (Read 2667 times)

Offline perrylvTopic starter

Agilent U3401A
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:40:58 am »
Hello,
Does anyone have a suggestion where I could find a schematic for my auction site acquisition of an Agilent U3401A? Seems fine except it doesn't measure current with the amps range input. Fuses are fine and current passes through but doesn't read...
Thanks in advance.

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Agilent U3401A
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:53:29 am »
Did you chech shunt resistors?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 04:50:23 am »
Welcome to the forum, Perry.

The service manual for this DMM makes no mention of schematics, so it's unlikely you'll be able to get official ones. It's pretty rare for modern test equipment to have publicly available schematics. If schematics are critical for your repair adventures, it's best to acquire them or at least confirm their availability before purchasing the associated equipment.

As Samogon mentioned, first check the shunt resistor(s). If the shunt(s) have the correct resistance, then follow their sense traces to check the circuitry that measures those resistor(s).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 05:55:46 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Yes I checked the shunt resistors 2nd thing. Something must be amiss with the way it measures the voltage across the shunt. mA input works as it should.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 11:03:53 am »
My GW GDM-8341, albeit not Keysight, won't auto-range into the 12A range I suspect because it's difficult to select the input based on the range automatically between the 12A and 500mA ranges. You have to manually set the range for that one. Can you try manually ranging and see if it reads on that?

Edit: Actually it says in the U3401 Manual https://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/U3401-90001.pdf that you need to select the range manually after selecting ACI or DCI. See section headed "Measuring AC (RMS) or DC Current up to 10 A"

I very much doubt any meter in this class and age is broken.

Incidentally when I got my GW I thought it was broken as well.  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:10:13 am by bd139 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:39:47 pm »
That makes sense, now that you mention it, bd139. RTFM, eh?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 10:40:47 pm »
Only RTFM after you've spent an hour taking it to bits to wonder why it doesn't work (yes I did that too :) )

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 01:39:12 am »
Hehe ;D

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 06:56:15 am »
Wow, RTFM indeed!  Working correctly now. It may have been a bit more than that however.
The seller advertised this meter as broken, specifically that it wouldn't measure amperage on the high range.  This being a new meter to me I believed it (as did other bidders apparently) allowing me to purchase it for under $100 US. My very cursory review seemed to confirm the issue and I didn't even attempt to manually change the range. Hours of probing and hand drawing a schematic I could find nothing wrong.
Tonight, after reading your posts, at first the high range didn't work.  I continued to step through the ranges, up and down (internals relays clicking)  and alas, it started to read!
I am a very happy new owner of this fine instrument.  Thank you all for your help.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 07:38:00 am »
You got a bargain there!

Worth watching out for other things on eBay with similar problem descriptions. I got a nice Philips oscilloscope once for equiv $10 because it wouldn’t sweep. The controls in the picture were set in X-Y mode :)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 02:22:39 am »
Maybe the relay was a little stuck; just needed some exercise. :-+

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:13:25 pm »
I believe it was likely stuck for some reason.  Thanks again for all the advice.  I am very pleased!

Offline TP126779

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 08:35:52 am »
Thank you!!!
RTFM :-DD
The same thing happened to me, although in addition the mA measurement was cutting out, depending on the orientation of the instrument.
Its connection is made internally with a molex connector to the board, where the crimped terminal was slipping out of the cable connector depending on the orientation.
It was pushed in the wrong way around :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf