Author Topic: Agilent/Keysight E3634A power supply - circuit diagram needed  (Read 2957 times)

Offline carl_labTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Agilent/Keysight E3634A power supply - circuit diagram needed
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:14:43 am »
I need a circuit diagram of Agilent/Keysight E3634A power supply for repair.

Tried to get it from gerrysweeny.com but links were broken...

Can anybody help please?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:55:31 pm by carl_lab »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Agilent/Keysight E3634A power supply - circuit diagram needed
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:55:09 am »
The manual part number is E3634-90010 and the April 2000 version of it does have schematics. I've got a copy, but for the life of me I don't know where it came from.

Ah, found it: https://gerrysweeney.com/wp-content/plugins/download-attachments/includes/download.php?id=1890
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:39 am »

Ah, found it: https://gerrysweeney.com/wp-content/plugins/download-attachments/includes/download.php?id=1890
That link seems to be dead
Can you post the pdf, I am also interested to have a copy of this schematics
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:40:37 am »
No, can't do as it would exceed the forum upload limits (it's 4Mb, limit is 1Mb).

Gerry is on here as gerrysweeney, you could PM him and tell him his site's certificate is buggered and/or ask for an alternative location.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:27:44 pm »
The manual part number is E3634-90010 and the April 2000 version of it does have schematics. I've got a copy, but for the life of me I don't know where it came from.

Same part number, but Edition 8, November 2014, from Keysight homepage does not include schematics any more.
Is that new business policies of Keysight?   >:(

I send PM to member gerrysweeney.

Offline gerrysweeney

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics hacker and maker and taker aparter
    • gerrysweeney.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:28:41 pm »
Have fixed the cert, sorry about that  |O   LetsEncrypt and Cloudflare not playing nice together.

The following users thanked this post: Armadillo, carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 01:34:13 pm »
Thank you very much, Gerry!  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:11:00 pm »
Same part number, but Edition 8, November 2014, from Keysight homepage does not include schematics any more.
Is that new business policies of Keysight?   >:(

Exactly why I specified the date.

As far as I can tell the policy of actively removing schematics happened around 2000/2001, on Agilent's watch. If the manual has Keysight branding it will almost definitely not have schematics. It's a deplorable practice as it makes useful older test gear turn into electronic waste and also removes a very valuable educational source from circulation.

The only exceptions are products that were supplied to the military, as returning to the factory is tricky on deployment and service engineers are want to complain if they have to fix things under artillery fire. So the military insist on component level schematics and these tend to turn up as a separate Component Level Information Packet, or CLIP.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:01:58 pm »
The only exceptions are products that were supplied to the military, as returning to the factory is tricky on deployment and service engineers are want to complain if they have to fix things under artillery fire. So the military insist on component level schematics and these tend to turn up as a separate Component Level Information Packet, or CLIP.
Interesting info.
Do you know an example of a newer Keysight instrument that has the schematics available for the general public because of military usage. I have not seen any schematics for a Keysight branded instrument so far.

In addition, I have noticed, it is also more complicated or impossible to order parts for Keysight branded instruments from Keysight.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 04:00:40 pm »

Interesting info.
Do you know an example of a newer Keysight instrument that has the schematics available for the general public because of military usage. I have not seen any schematics for a Keysight branded instrument so far.

In addition, I have noticed, it is also more complicated or impossible to order parts for Keysight branded instruments from Keysight.

I can't say I have, but as new instruments like the 3446xA replace old discontinued stalwarts like the 34401A (which I know was in use by the UK military) then I expect we'll see some Keysight branded CLIPs appear.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 06:43:32 am »

I can't say I have, but as new instruments like the 3446xA replace old discontinued stalwarts like the 34401A (which I know was in use by the UK military) then I expect we'll see some Keysight branded CLIPs appear.
That would be nice.
But even the latest edition of the 34401A has some changes on the PCB that have not been documented for public viewing and the published schematics from earlier versions are not correct anymore.

I also heard from a technician that keysight internal people have no access to component level schematics anymore, since Keysight is not performing component level repair, instead they are only changing boards and so the technicians don't need the detailed schematics.

Hmm, not a good development.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:43 am »
I also heard from a technician that keysight internal people have no access to component level schematics anymore, since Keysight is not performing component level repair, instead they are only changing boards and so the technicians don't need the detailed schematics.
Next step of that development:
Replace technicians by semi-skilled monkeys, because technicians are not needed anymore...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:17:11 am by carl_lab »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf