Author Topic: Alienware gtx1070 r4 gpu failure  (Read 974 times)

Offline Deadr4userTopic starter

Alienware gtx1070 r4 gpu failure
« on: December 11, 2019, 11:58:11 pm »
Anyone know of repair places that arent just reballing gpu. Im not a gamer but use my rig for graphics modeling and rendering. I can get to login screen on linux and then it turns off when i log in. So its shutting down when leaving basic graphics mode. Dell replaced my gtx1070 motherboard under warranty and its out again. Id love to send it to rossman, but he seems to only be doing macbook stuff. Alot of people are having alienware failures on these laptops. Should I buy a gpu and find a place to replace the component?

Offline aqibi2000

• Regular Contributor
Re: Alienware gtx1070 r4 gpu failure
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 12:20:11 am »
I offer reballing, and can therefore fit a new GPU if you supply. UK only
Tinkerer’

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:41:50 pm »
Sorry not in the uk man but thanks. I might just buy the gpu and drop it off at a place nearby.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 06:56:58 pm »
Should I buy a gpu and find a place to replace the component?
Hell no. First of all you will be buying one salvaged from e-waste and in unknown condition. Any half-decent repair shop will send you to f.ck off with chip you brought to them, and they will be right to do so. Secondly very likely it has nothing to do with GPU. 1070-1080 series had quite a lot of RAM problems. Thirdly in this particular GPU series reball (real reball, not frying with a heat gun) might be a viable repair. These series do not have widespread defect of older series when GPU died like cockroaches and heating revived them temporarily. And before soldering anything, any decent repair shop should run Nvidia MODS/MATS test utility to check if there is a problem on any particular RAM channel.

Offline aqibi2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 10:49:40 pm »
By the way I specifically mentioned for the OP to supply the new GPU because it’s not physically possible to purchase them.

Your comment shows you have endured these pains at some point too :) ::)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:51:22 pm by aqibi2000 »
Tinkerer’

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 09:40:42 am »
Yeah i searched for the chips already and nothing but used stuff available. I appreciate the response though. Not buying laptops with embedded gpu will be my priority from now on. 2 years and 2 failures. Im good. Thanks.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 11:38:47 am »
Those guys are competent and charge moderately https://www.youtube.com/user/1servicecore/about
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf