Author Topic: All rubber buttons have bounce effect on DS1052E  (Read 1325 times)

Offline JolykTopic starter

All rubber buttons have bounce effect on DS1052E
« on: May 14, 2020, 11:47:21 pm »
All rubber buttons have strong bounce effect on DS1052E.

I'm not sure that "bounce" is correct word. It is ignoring or multiclicking. Sometimes, when I press rubber (soft?) button it does not react, but more likely it react with 2 or 3 presses.

Affected all rubber (soft) buttons.
I did not opened device yet.
I did not find much, googling "scope button bounces".

I wonder is it some specific for this scope or it is common "remote control buttons" problem?

Offline Manul

• Super Contributor
Re: All rubber buttons have bounce effect on DS1052E
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 12:31:27 am »
Could also be a software problem, so I suggest to start from the simplest thing - reset scope, update firmware if it is not the latest.

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 01:58:07 pm »
A quick google search did not show this to be a common problem with that unit. If it is affecting all the keys, you could have a general problem.

Start with Step 1:
Thou shalt check voltages.

Offline aqibi2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 03:53:10 pm »
Or if it resembles TV remotes, oily residue
Tinkerer’

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 05:06:02 am »
My DS1052E does this too, and it's incredibly annoying. Though I only noticed my unit do this after I hacked the firmware to operate at 150 MHz bandwidth. So--for me at least--it does seem to be reversible when changing the bandwidth back down to 50 MHz. The odd thing is, it doesn't always act up, some days it works fine, then others it's almost impossible to use the soft keys and sometimes the timebase rotary encoder adjusts in the wrong direction.

So if you have hacked your scope to 100 or 150 MHz, try reverting back to the stock bandwidth/model and see if that helps.

If you haven't hacked your unit or opened it up, Rigol is actually really good about accepting RMAs to fix problems if it's still under warrenty. You pay to ship to them and they pay to ship the equipment back to you.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 06:07:17 pm »
Thanks for answers.

What is "reset scope"? Calibration?

Scope has the last firmware and I calibrated it many times.
It is not hacked. Still on 50 MHz. Warranty sticker is intact.
I have feeling that "rotary encoder" works bad in direct sunlight (theory needs additional tests).
Scope is second hand and old. Warranty status check says "enter the correct serial number".

Current suspicion is: rubber is disintegrating back to oil.

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 11:11:09 am »
I suspect Rigol uses software polling of keys rather than using an interrupt driven event. And for whatever reason, overclocking the ADCs causes the polling to miss events.

Since your unit is stock and unopened, and likely out of warranty, you might as well crack it open and try wiping the PCB contact pads clean with a microfiber cloth and isopropanol. This would also give you a chance to see if there is any dust build up that might make a part of the acquisition system overheat slightly--which is what I think causes my missed keystrokes.

I doubt any significant amount of light is making its way into the oscilloscope. So there shouldn't be any UV degradation of the silicone keypads or any part of the rotary encoders. That said, corrosive gasses like hydrogen sulfide (from burning natural gas to heat a home) or ozone can wreak havoc on plastics and rubbers or exposed silver and copper surfaces.

While attending college, I lived in an ancient apartment with a furnace that burned natural gas in a semi open flame (some exhaust was pulled into the air intake). The trace amounts of hydrogen sulfide making its way into the circulating air would cause a rubberband sitting out on the counter to breakdown (harden and crack) in about a week or two during the winter. It also destroyed the padding on my camera neckstrap, turned the padding into fine powder.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 11:24:48 am by garrettm »

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 12:08:51 am »
Finally I managed to fix this from almost unusable to works almost good. Especially if you press firmly. I disassembled it and expected silicone buttons to be wet and dead. But they are in perfect condition. Then I noticed, that I need to use some force to make contact for measuring resistance of copper pads on board with ohmmeter. I wiped them with alcohol with no effect. Then I realized that oxidation layer may be hard. I sandpapered copper pads on board. Places where silicone buttons make contact. And this improved functionality from 5% to 95%.

The following users thanked this post: Chernobyl

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf