Author Topic: Alternative to SMAJ170 Transient voltage Suppressor  (Read 212 times)

Offline noobiedoobieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Alternative to SMAJ170 Transient voltage Suppressor
« on: March 10, 2024, 06:57:04 pm »
Hi,

I am not able to find TVS diode SMAJ170 for a washing machine board that I am trying to fix, full post here: (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/what-is-this-component-alternatives-washing-machine/msg5340179/#msg5340179

The only component I am able to get in the market is SMAJ120 which is the same the same thing but voltage limited to 120V.

What are my options? Is there a more commonly used part that I can substitute for this? Also there is space on the board to fit a bigger component, say a through hole version
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 09:51:25 am by noobiedoobie »

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
Re: Alternative to SMAJ170 Transient voltage Suppressor
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 08:38:28 am »
The SMAJ170 is indeed obsolete, and replaced by the SMAJ170A (see https://www.littelfuse.com/products/tvs-diodes/surface-mount/smaj/smaj170.aspx). That part is available in india (digikey amongst others). Don't go for the SMAJ120(A), the voltage is much lower, and risks blowing up on you.

The following users thanked this post: noobiedoobie

Offline noobiedoobieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 09:49:10 am »
Even the SMAJ170A is not available in the local market.

The problem with Digikey and mouser is that their pricing is many times expensive than the local component market and upon that their shipping charges are 40 times the cost of the component you in case you buy few pieces of SMAJ170... so in total buying it from Digikey will cost more than getting an entire refurbished power board itself.

I would like to add that there is enough space on the board are there any through hole components that can do the job?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 10:06:56 am »
The problem is that the SMAJ series is very common.
You could try the SMBJ, SMCJ, SMDJ series or the 1.5KE or the P6KE series. They are rather common.
There is also the TGL41 series, but I don't think they are easy to find.
Make sure to get the unidirectional versions, not the bidirectional versions (mostly ending with CA).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 10:31:10 am by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: noobiedoobie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf