Author Topic: Anesty ZD-915 Temperature is half of set value  (Read 641 times)

Offline leeRTopic starter

Anesty ZD-915 Temperature is half of set value
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:37:19 pm »
Hi Folks,

Last Christmas I got a ZD-915. I was using it just fine for 2 months. Then the other day I wanted to desolder some parts and it was not melting the solder. I raised the temp on the panel and still nothing. If the temp was set for 350 deg C, I would get about 120 deg C.
I thought maybe the heating element was going bad and purchased a new one.
Installed it and it was doing exactly the same thing. I also checked the wires and solder joints in the gun and the plug and that was fine. Inside the unit appears to be good also but I haven't fully tested it. Wondering if the op-amp chip is bad (LM358).

Any ideas on how to set the temp at the tip to match what is being requested on the panel?

Thanks

Lee

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
Re: Anesty ZD-915 Temperature is half of set value
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 11:54:31 pm »
Last Christmas I got a ZD-915. I was using it just fine for 2 months. Then the other day I wanted to desolder some parts and it was not melting the solder.

Any ideas on how to set the temp at the tip to match what is being requested on the panel?
You have an issue that is bigger than correcting the calibration setting to get the tip heat to match the setting. With the unit only three months old, you should surely contact the seller. Most likely, it should be returned for a refund. I would think that there would be two of some component that is sharing the load... Maybe a MOSFET... And, that one has failed. The one that remains is probably being pushed hard to make up the difference and, accordingly, is at risk, too. If you end up having to repair it yourself, buy an extra of whatever the bad component is, to be prepared for the second to fail, as said. There is surely to be lots of repair information on YouTube, because the ZD-915 is so popular.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf