Author Topic: beloved broken bose  (Read 959 times)

Offline mandlebrot501

• Attempting at polymathory cos I can!
beloved broken bose
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:42:47 pm »
Once apon a time when I was younger and perhaps wiser I bought a Bose Radio. Astonished at once by it's unique wonderful tone it was love at first tune!
Over the years from pillar to post it remained unbroken and whilst matrimony and business followed it's cyclical sine wave of heaven and hell, good old bose (even when seperated itself from it's sweet remote(control)) never wavered from it's stable position.
Decades past, remote was found....still worked....Case grubby, used in the car workshop...gearbox oil and thinners et all#. Still working.
Am I boring you yet?
You get the picture.....a stable thing in a universe of chaos.
Well I decided to take it to bits and clean it......stupid me.
My dear daughter, sensing my brave grief got an IDENTICAL twin on ebay for my bday. Pleaased.

Could someone encourage me ....gently to fix it. ta and ciao
New to this. DJ a great inspiration to me on many fronts.
Will post pics if interested.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: beloved broken bose
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:01:46 am »
Well I decided to take it to bits and clean it......stupid me.
My dear daughter, sensing my brave grief got an IDENTICAL twin on ebay for my bday. Pleaased.
Could someone encourage me ....gently to fix it.

I recommend since this is so precious to you and likely an untrained hand like yourself could do unmeasurable further damage to the device that you find a local amateur radio club near you and see if you can find a radio repairer or restorer. On their websites they normally list contact details and will know who in your area does a good job, very nice folks as well. Best to take both in when getting it repaired in case parts are a problem or it's a tricky one.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 87V, 117, 27/FM               >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Rigol DS1054Z, Phillips PM3065

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:11:46 am »
Is the problem that you aren't sure how to reassemble it? I don't remember it being that hard, the screws are mostly all the same size and it isn't that cramped inside. The Bose Wave Radios do have a few common failure modes: beside the audio amplifier chip, there is an electrolytic capacitor that is too close to it and dies from overheating. If the radio crackles that's usually the cause.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:16:26 am »
I think it's a vintage Bose radio, helius.

If you want to repair it yourself mandlebrot, if it is not easily spotted visual damage or a contamination issue (clean carefully off with pure isopropyl alcohol) then get a multimeter, soldering iron, solder, braid or sucker together as the basics, hunt for a schematics and then start with some basic electronics troubleshooting and take some voltage measurements and confirm that the radio is powering up and which stages have power and then if still not obvious get an oscilloscope to trace the signal, using the working one as an example.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:21:44 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 87V, 117, 27/FM               >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Rigol DS1054Z, Phillips PM3065

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:21:43 am »
With respect to powering up, keep in mind that they are always on and the "power" button is more of a mute. Idle power draw indicates that the power supply circuit never turns off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf