Author Topic: Anritsu Nettest CMA5000 Dead HDD Recovery  (Read 3037 times)

Offline BeckGyverTopic starter

• Contributor
Anritsu Nettest CMA5000 Dead HDD Recovery
« on: March 07, 2021, 05:17:25 pm »
And another Rabbithole found to explore:

I got a new toy to get working again and this is the journey I took so far:

The device came here to germany from israel and had a totaly smashed display. The touchscreen was missing and the ramins of the display were loosly sitting in the mounting. So first thing that was done was ordering a new Screen on Ebay. It is a Toshiba LTM10C313U with a resolution of 1024*768. Replacement is mega easy as the front bezel can be removed by four screws, as the designer hat a screen replace in mind on design. Very nice Anristu  :-+

Next thing on the list was the hdd. Unfortunately it is not spinning at all and the splindle tries tio break loos but doesnt succeed. What a pitty, but Anritsu seems to on you side for the application software as well. You can download the application and some documentation on the Webpage as well: https://www.anritsu.com/en-GB/test-measurement/support/downloads?model=CMA5000a

But this is exactly where the trouble begins for me:

I tossed in a new HDD, loaded the windows XP installation cd and waited patiently for the installer to finish. (In times of SSD this is a hard task )

After that I had a quick peek in the device manager and there were three devices with missind drivers. On was the Se graphic driver. No problem on that one, but the oder two are the root of all eveil.
Trustful me thought the missing drivers will be installed when the application is in place and so I installed the application from the Anristsu page. The setup finishes without error but the application installed is named CMA500a  :o
Is that on purpose or what is going on ? I tried to configure the module (OSA) from within the application, bur no success. It only says "No Modules Found".

I tried to identify the devices ba VID and PID, but hat no luck. I was desperate enough to even browse some russian and chinese pages. But you can geuss it, withou luck  |O

This is where I hit the wall and have no Idea where to get the drivers of these modules. The HDD is dead from my point and needs spindle replacement to get my hands on the data stored.

Maybe on this forum someone can help me finding the drivers or there is patron on here providing some image of a recovery disk.

I will add some photos later if this helps you.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Anritsu Nettest CMA5000 Dead HDD Recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 05:59:35 pm »
For the hard drive the only chance you got is to find the same hard drive motherboard and the same firmware version, and swap the boards,   i doubt the mechanical side of the motor is dead ... 

BUT it could be ....

If not  there's is companies who can recover failed drives, but it will be very expensive

Or someone here has one and can do an hdd image and export it

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:03:33 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 06:54:37 pm »
If you consider the HDD a lost case, why not try a "jump start". Power it up, lift it and let it drop onto a table from a few cm hight. Old HDDs sometimes have their heads sticking to the platter; the drop might release it and the drive can go back to normal operation.
(This worked for me for a dozen of cases, mainly on quite old drives. There is quite a chance you are destroying things, though.)

Second option (maybe try that one first) is to replace the PCB from an identical drive - in case it's just a shot motor driver.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 03:25:03 pm »
I just had a go with the HDD and to make it short: The Bearing sounds like heavy metal.

I gently dropped the drive on one corner and it broke loos, just to start screaming at me.
E-Bay got my back and a new drive is on its way. This will be my first attempt for a platter-swap, whish me luck.

My hope is to find someone with a running unit, who is willing to make an image for me or do copy the crucial files.

Has anyone made some good experiences on how to find the right drivers for a given VID&PID. My biggest fear would be a specialized driver for the PlugIn Modules that is not commonly available.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 06:06:59 pm »
post the vid pid  errors,  hardware  description in the windows device manager

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 02:23:08 pm »
I fired up the unit today and took these pictures. I hope this helps some gurus and maybe someon can recognize the devices.

The lower device with missing driver seems to be the OSA module as it is only present when the OSA is plugged in. (pictures 4 and 5).

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 03:46:18 pm »
PCI\VEN_10B5&DEV_9030  is related to motherboards plx chipsets, something like pci 9030 board drivers

PCI\VEN_10EE&DEV_0300 is related to Multimedia Controller Driver for Foxconn - G33M03 or even Spartan 3 Designs

i alaways use the last  hardware id's line    to search for missing drivers,  you can get tons of answers on google, it will give you an idea

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 05:03:59 pm »
I spent at least three hours on the search for the right driver, without luck.
I have no idea which embedded mainboard is used in the main unit. So far I did not disassemble it, maybe I will have to do so now.

My best guess on the PCI\VEN_10EE&DEV_0300 is the host interface of the OSA. I will have a closer look on the OSA and see if i can see the PCI host chip or a spartan FPGA.
Is there some kind of default driver for Spartan FPGAs and PCI IP-Core ? I only have some experience with Altera FPGAs and therefore absolute noob on xilinx.

I also had a go with hwinfo in order to get some info on mainboard and north/southbridges. Unfortunately the vendor info is not set and is not displayed.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 06:12:35 pm »
The thing with Spartan FPGAs is that you have to download firmware into them before they become a functional, custom device. This may need to happen at every power-on, depending on the design. I would examine the PCB and see if the chip has a companion flash memory.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 07:29:56 pm »
exactly   an spartan 3 could be used  like an interface chip / bus driver  etc ...

The pid vids are a reference to what you should need, you can search tons of drivers and eventually find the good one(s), sometimes in the drivers package(s) you can find  *.inf  files, you can check the pids vids in them.

Send an email to the company, maybe they could guide you to the drivers you need

CPUZ could reveal some motherboard infos  too

Maybe this link :  support contact ?   https://www.anritsu.com/en-US/test-measurement/support/talk-to-anritsu
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:39:11 pm by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 09:50:13 pm »
I forgot to mention that i had a go with CPUz as well.

I will get in contact with Anritsu and see if they can help me on this topic. As I mentioned in the introduction, I have downloaded the installation files and had a look inside to find some of the drivers but had no luck.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 02:38:37 am »
yep  i did it too    there's nothing to bee seen   unless the package is fully installed ??

Hum    i think there where some software called driver magician or driver genius something ...  they could search a database and try to download some drivers ??  and do a driver backup  if a re installation is needed

my 2 cents

I hope  someone here as an CMA5000 to share an drive copy of the needed drivers ...

Maybe  just maybe  if you have an Ebay account : try to contact some CMA5000 sellers and ask them if they could share some drivers ???  or if by chance they have a recovery cd/dvd ??   worked for me in the past ...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 05:21:23 am »
The device came here to germany from israel and had a totaly smashed display.
I think I know what seller you bought that from... :-DD

10b5:9030 is a PCI9030 - the databook doesn't make it particularly clear but it seems to be a PCI-to-VLB bridge so there's probably other peripherals beyond it.
10ee:0300 is the generic ID for a Xilinx Spartan 3 PCI IP but the subsystem ID of 1003:1465 doesn't yield any results.

As for the motherboard itself, the other PCI IDs should be enough to figure out what the platform is; but given that you appear to have a running OS on it, it may not be so important.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:24:07 am by amyk »

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 11:55:50 am »
I think I know what seller you bought that from...
I was waiting for someone else who had this gem on his watchlist  :-DD

I had a go on Ebay for at least five sellers of a CMA5000 and texted them about two weeks ago. No answer so far  :'( To be honest, I expected this as these units are sold by resellers who have no interest in fixing another unit.

The cheapest one available for me is 700$ with smashed Screen. This is to much for a gamble on running drives.

I found this driver database online with an offline version available : https://driverpack.io/de
Maybe someon has experiences with this provider. Seems more legit to me than a trusty driver from driver.ru

As far as I can see https://driver-magician.de.uptodown.com/windows only provides backups and restore options.

I tried to search for a PCI9030 driver and most of the offers are installers or at least ransomware.

I found something like this:
http://deviceinbox.com/id/ven-10B5-dev-9030.html

I have not much experience in the whole windows XP driver ecosystem and what is needed.

I have attetched some pictures of the backplane connecting the modules to the main-unit (1 and 2). Additionally you can see the front of the main unit with removed bezel to get access to the LCD. This is just amazingly well engineered to replace broken screens within minutes. Behind the LCD you can see different ICs:

Spartan XC2S50 As this is a Spartan II I don't believe it is the missing device.
PCI1225 is present on the main unit and the backplane. Seems to be an PCI to PC-Card adapter.

The last pictures are taken fom the insides of the OSA module. You can see the mechanical optical filter on the left. The connector on the right is the input and connects a short patch cable to the external input. Below there are some optical components in a milled tray. Right below there is the first digital board connencting to the optical components. There is an option for the OSA available with a optical drop functionality. Therefore you can see another mountting point for a second connector and an unpopulated optical switch on the optical pcb. Maybe I will add this functionality when the unit is running again.
On the optical PCB there is a LUMINEMT MRED14CXXXX LD https://www.datasheetarchive.com/MRED14C5003-1-datasheet.html. My best guess would be some kind of alignment of the filter. On the optical PCB there is an optical isolator and a bragg filter, maybe to get the source Signal filtered for a specifig wavelangth, would make most sense.
I will have a closer look on the optical path when I have some more space on the table to unwind all the fibers.
One of the fibers is guided to the first digital PCB below the optical PCB. I would bet on the PIN diode being in place there together with its friends the transimpedance amplifier, maybe filter and ADC.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 12:06:11 pm »
those two seems legit

when you click on the green download its a zip file

https://www.helpjet.net/Fs-74220433-81772371-97216768.html
https://www.helpjet.net/Fs-74220433-81772371-88684959.html

unzip them  and do a manual search in thoses folders in the windows hardware manager / install files manually ...

theses too   you have to answer a simple math question  loll   
http://deviceinbox.com/drivers/812-perle-pci-fast-16-fmc-port-adapter.html
http://deviceinbox.com/drivers/1325-ixxat-vci-v4-driver.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 12:21:08 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 12:13:51 pm »
and this one too  for the other device
PCI\VEN_10EE&DEV_0300

http://deviceinbox.com/drivers/937-dvr-video-driver-2-12.html

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 12:20:18 pm by coromonadalix »

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 09:14:27 pm »
I had several hours with final frustration on all of these drivers / software packs.
None helped with the 10b5:9030 PCI device or the other device.

I am frustrated enough for today and hope for the best on some helpful Community menber here, on E-Bay or from Anritsu.

Maybe tomorrow I will take another attempt on this problem.
All the trouble with finding the right driver on Windows XP was forgotten on Win 7 and later. I wish I could just install a newer system on this device, but unfortunately it has only 256 mb ram. 

By the way, the BIOS is locked and I do not have any password for the device. Has anyone an idea on the default passwords used by NetTest ?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 12:15:40 am »
What BIOS does it have? I would try lkwpeter, AWARD, AMI, AMI_SW, aLLy and aLLy123 --- those come to mind immediately but there are lists of "BIOS backdoor passwords" you can find online that have those and more.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 05:32:51 pm »

All the trouble with finding the right driver on Windows XP was forgotten on Win 7 and later. I wish I could just install a newer system on this device, but unfortunately it has only 256 mb ram. 

Every versions of windows will have the same problems if you miss/need some drivers ... the web drivers search got better in some cases  but equipment specific drivers are not provided by microsoft

Offline VT7

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 10:54:11 am »
Heyho,

i will get hands on such a machine rather soon, so if the hard drive is still readable there is a possibility to get the image of it.
was there in time any progress to get the BIOS password of the machine?

Offline VT7

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2022, 08:46:40 pm »
Hello,

i have now the machine and surprise - the HDD is dead.
but i could revive it for a short period of time and could copy the first 6,__ GB of data. it seems that the OS is on this part.

when i get the possibility to share such a big file here, i will do.

in addition, i will also try to repair the HDD at all and copy the whole data block.

EDIT: luckiely i could rip the files in correct order from the image, there is a Folder called "install" and it seems to be not corrupted.
zipped up to 24,8 MB so there is a problem packing it to the post.

by,
Philipp
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 11:53:30 pm by VT7 »

Offline VT7

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2022, 01:00:07 pm »
To generate another post in Serie, i have calculated the f***ing BIOS password. It is uleha.

Have fun and happy hacking further on.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline VT7

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 07:19:53 pm »
Merry Christmas!

today I have taken the dead HDD apart, changed the platter to a new frame und read out the data.
plain easy when you get access to a semiconductor clean room, which i got to now.

of cause the data should now be here available, where should I upload it to.  8)

BR,
Philipp

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2023, 02:04:36 am »
Hi!

I would upload it to k04BB or a Dropbox share!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2023, 02:20:49 am »
Merry Christmas!

today I have taken the dead HDD apart, changed the platter to a new frame und read out the data.
plain easy when you get access to a semiconductor clean room, which i got to now.

of cause the data should now be here available, where should I upload it to.  8)

BR,
Philipp

What was the HDD model?

Offline VT7

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2023, 03:03:04 pm »
the hdd was a 20 GB IDE Drive from Toshiba, named MK2023GAS. or HDD2187.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2023, 07:22:13 pm »
the hdd was a 20 GB IDE Drive from Toshiba, named MK2023GAS. or HDD2187.

ISTR that those old Toshibas sometimes developed startup problems related to the spindle bearing lubricant.

https://forum.hddguru.com/search.php?keywords=toshiba+lubricant&submit=Search

Offline VT7

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2023, 09:48:47 pm »
yeah. I can confirm that.
in combination with the problem that the hdd - when finally running - grinds its bearing down in a sudden when you just want to read out some data.

actually I have a WD blue mini drive in the CMA5000 but will change it when i get hands on some mSATA ssds.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf