Author Topic: Converting Tektronix TDS620B to TDS680B  (Read 581 times)

Offline TekForeverTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Former NAVAIR Metrologist, Current EET
Converting Tektronix TDS620B to TDS680B
« on: January 07, 2022, 05:27:26 pm »
So last year two years ago user Nx-1997 converted his Tek TDS620B to a TDS684B by removing a few resistors and caps, adding some VRAM, and then converting his CRT to LCD:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/(help)-conversion-tektronix-tds620b-to-tds680b-to-tds644btds684b/

Now, I don't really care about having a color screen or having 4 channels, so in order to convert a TDS620B to a TDS680B would it just be a matter of swapping those resistors around in the first post, then removing those capacitors that were mentioned further on down? It seems to me that the VRAM and other resistors on the digital board are related to the 684B model, and thus won't be necessary if I don't mind looking at a monochrome screen with 2 channels.

I know quite a bit about Tek's newer scopes but unfortunately their older scopes are a bit...uh...well, older, and out of service. So thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 07:57:07 pm by TekForever »

Offline TekForeverTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Former NAVAIR Metrologist, Current EET
Re: Converting Tektronix TDS620B to TDS680B
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 01:16:55 am »
An update: I went ahead and removed the 4 caps and rearranged the 4 resistors mentioned in the original post, and so far it seems to be a success (see attached image).

I can't test the new 1GHz bandwidth right now, but as far as I can tell removing those 4 caps should have done the deed. My scope now goes down to 200ps/div, whereas before it went down to 500ps/div I believe. So I *think* it's good, but I can't be sure until I get some signals through...eventually...

EDIT: For anyone needing an example of how badly optical distortion can get even when looking straight on at a lens, feel free to use my image
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:04:29 am by TekForever »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf