Author Topic: APC SMT 1000i smart ups blown capacitor value  (Read 586 times)

Offline pvalTopic starter

APC SMT 1000i smart ups blown capacitor value
« on: December 28, 2023, 03:36:42 pm »
I wonder if someone has any idea about the value of the blown ceramic capacitor beside the 47K resistor. The photos are from the small PCB located on the rear of my APC SMT 1000i smart ups. The ups works but the pcb emits a terrible smell. One end of the 47K resistor has been desoldered, the other resistor is 51 ohm and both of them are ok. I searched but didn't find any schematics.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: APC SMT 1000i smart ups blown capacitor value
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 08:41:20 pm »
Welcome to the forums :)

It's the snubber capacitor and I would wildly guess around 4.7nF at 500-1,000V rating.
But the PC board looks carbonized so you'd have to consider going through-hole to salvage it.

The following users thanked this post: pval

Offline asis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 11:02:24 pm »

The following users thanked this post: pval

Offline pvalTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 02:18:34 pm »
Thank you

Offline Purduephotog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 12:34:39 am »
Consider writing APC /Eaton about it. They ended up sending me an entirely new unit, although I did have a rather large fire in mine.

Offline RLP

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 12:16:40 pm »
I've had 2-3 of these boards fail this way. That's a pretty bad case - I managed to shut mine down prior to them degrading to this point. What happens, I believe, is that the switching transformer itself starts to fail internally first - and then that is what causes the switching controller and its snubber circuit to overheat, damaging the components and burning the board as you see there.

You (or others having this issue) may be able to find replacement boards by searching the board number on eBay or similar. But make sure to get the correct version (120V or 230V - they both have the same part number but different components!). Otherwise, an option to salvage the rest of the UPS is to 'amputate' this board altogether and disable green mode as per this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/how-to-disable-green-mode-on-apc-smart-ups-smt-series/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf