Author Topic: APC SURT10000XLI repair  (Read 6056 times)

Offline scribbleTopic starter

• Contributor
APC SURT10000XLI repair
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:48 am »
Hi All,

Thought I'd ask on the off chance someone happen to have a proper circuit diagram?

The main power PCB is a 4 layer design and one of the power transisters vapourised due to a fault and it took some of the copper trace with it but I'm not sure if there is a trace on an internal layer that also got damaged and a circuit diagram would help immensly.

• Contributor
Re: APC SURT10000XLI repair
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:34:22 am »
OK, so no one has a circuit diagram, was worth a shot.

I have attached a couple of photos of the affected area.
Left to right is diode (HFA15TB60) transistor (11N60C3) diode then transistor, diode, diode.

As you can see, the left hand diode left leg arc'd across to the surrounding copper track.  Since the board is multilayerd and there is some scorching of the PCB it's hard to track down what is exactly conneted to the leg.  The IGBT's (I think?) behind the diode normally have a heatsink on top and they are fed from the large inductors on the right (as far as I can tell), so would the diode be protecting the IGBT from voltage spike from the inductor?
Does that mean there wouldn't be anything else connected to it?
Whats strange is I can't find anything connected to the the left hand leg (cathode I think) on the far right diode, as I was trying to analyse that side to work out how the damaged side should be.

Any suggestions on where I should be looking or testing would be greatly appreciated, its a 10KVA UPS and wasn't cheap, so really want to fix it...

Offline rickfixit

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:06:54 am »
same problem here in Texas. SURT7500, 8000 and 10000 are the same boards, only the personality card is different
Any solutions?

Offline Lorenzo_1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 02:53:15 am »
You might find something quite informative here for the APC SmartUPS 1000 model and some might be relevant to your models:  http://www.mirpu.ru/ups/84-shemups/146-su1000.html.  I happened across this some time ago.  You might want to be careful on this Russian site - but I had no problem when I looked at it. There are some APC schematics around - but they're not easy to find. Sorry I don't have any links.

I recall when I was looking at a problem with my APC, I was offered a $50(?) trade-in on the old one, if I bought new at ca $1600 in Oz. Not an offer I found hard to turn down. I found it cheaper to buy a new/old stock item for $400 and fit new batteries.  Has been a good investment.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:31:48 am »
same problem here in Texas. SURT7500, 8000 and 10000 are the same boards, only the personality card is different
Any solutions?

That year I managed to find a replacement main power board on eBay, same part number, but after installation the UPS still wouldn't turn on, doesn't really show any signs of life so it might have taken other circuity out as well but there isn't anything that's visibly faulty now.  I can't remember if I'd installed the batteries when I last tried it, maybe I'll revisit it, I've basically written it off, it wasn't behaving quite right before it went bang.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf