Author Topic: Fluke 233 Repair  (Read 10730 times)

Offline JregierTopic starter

Fluke 233 Repair
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:33:09 pm »
Hey everyone, My Fluke 233 had an accident and a few resistors busted off the remote display board.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what value resistors R205 R211 and R212 are that'd be great! Thanks!

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke 233 Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 09:20:56 pm »
I happen to have my 233 handy:

Resistor - marking - value

R205 - 01B  -  1 K?
R211 - 01C  -  10 K?
R212 - 4120 - 412  ? (1%, I think)

EDIT:  "?" should be the ohm symbol.   I guess the forum software doesn't like it.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:49:59 pm by Excavatoree »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:01:33 pm »
Hey everyone, My Fluke 233 had an accident and a few resistors busted off the remote display board.
A clear focused picture and description of what happened to the 233 might help us help you with more things to look for besides the obvious fault?

In addition, if this 233 is still within its warranty period, you may want to contact Fluke Canada before doing any repairs.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 10:02:21 pm »
I happen to have my 233 handy:
I'm not surprised!  :-DD  :-DMM

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:00:41 pm »
Thanks for the information on the resistors!
As for what happened to the meter... Well... I was going up a ladder and the meter fell out of my tool pouch and suffered a 15ft drop. I already touched up all of the solder joints and found a torn pad and installed a jumper wire. Currently the display will turn on alone and flash "RF Err" as expected but when I power the whole unit on it just shows 4 dashes on the display and the high voltage LED remains lit.
And just so you guys know I'm a basic hobbyist currently but I'd like to learn how to do a lot more.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 03:47:02 am »
Had a chance to fiddle around a bit with the meter and found all of the resistors after the selection switch are reading "open" on my Fluke 902, not sure if that's a problem in the resistors or a problem with the 902 not being able to read them.

Some of the other resistors on the board are showing "open" as well but the vast majority read appropriate to their values.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 05:45:05 am »
Had a chance to fiddle around a bit with the meter and found all of the resistors after the selection switch are reading "open" on my Fluke 902, not sure if that's a problem in the resistors or a problem with the 902 not being able to read them.
902 only measures up to 10k ohms.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:14:11 pm »
 :palm: yeah, I realized my mistake late last night. Damn these HVAC tools!
Luckily I still have my old Fluke 16 which goes up to 40M ohm so I should know better by the end of today.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:36:55 pm »
Alright, I checked it over and couldn't find one bad resistor. Luckily for me I've got a friend with the same meter so I should be able to borrow his and do some voltage tracing to try and isolate the issue.

Anyone have any suggestions of anything I should be looking at in particular?
I'd share a picture but don't have the ability to compress the file size on my phone. When I turn the selection dial to any of the selections, the red "high voltage" LED comes on and stays on and 4 dashes show up on the display.
The dashes show up regardless of if the display is transmitting IR or wirelessly.

Offline timbob

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 01:16:24 am »
i think i found the issue check the battery conact on the display board, mine giveing me the 4 dashes after i order a display replacment and the battery conact was lifted off

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf