Author Topic: Axle Grease for fan in HP Pavilion Laptop  (Read 1176 times)

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Axle Grease for fan in HP Pavilion Laptop
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 01:53:28 pm »
It has been mentioned that mineral oil and vegetable or similar (glycol) oils may not mix.   It's possible not enough olive oil remains to make a difference, but miscibility can be easily tested.  Hydraulic fluid has been mentioned.  That comes in both versions.  DOT 3, 4, and 5 are glycol based.

Offline PwrElectronics

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 03:04:11 pm »
Nobody has yet mentioned "zoom spout" turbine oil.  Made for motor bushings and so on.  I have had mixed luck with it on worn out stuff though.

This thread is a little amusing to me.  Years ago the fan on my old tower PC's graphics card wore out the bearings and would vibrate and buzz.  No replacement to be found.  It was a custom molded thing that attached to the heatsink.  Didn't want to spend $$ for a new graphics card.  So, I took apart a laptop PC that was found in in the bin at work that had busted hinges and IT had removed the drive, etc.  Got the fan out of it and used hot glue and some cardboard to make a duct and mount for it to fit on the graphics card heatsink in place of the bad fan.  That used laptop fan ran for many years when that PC was my daily driver and it still going fine on the occasional use now.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2024, 03:11:31 pm »
but honestly does anyone here expect results for a fan? I only ever grease intermittent motors. Something continuous IMO needs replacements because its just not gonna last at all. Power tool or manual OK, I can maybe live with that. But imo its guaranteed that this wont work for more then a few months. A fan on a welder that kicks on once in a while, OK.

But for a continuous computer fan I have a feeling you will be disappointed.

Come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever successfully applied lubricant to a loud PC fan twice. The first time might get you months, perhaps 10s of months, but when it acts up again that's more or less the end of it. That said I don't think I've tried anything heavier than 15w40 engine oil.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:15:46 pm by BrokenYugo »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2024, 03:44:24 pm »
Some time ago I put some (I think) hydraulic oil in
a laptop fan (don't remember which bearing type).

Be careful with hydraulic oils. Some are toxic.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2024, 04:55:53 pm »
Hi Everyone,

After WD-40-ing the fan April 9'th, I can say it lasted until today.

Also, it is not that the bearing is loose, it is the fan bearing is getting sticky.

I'm still awaiting the Aliexpress replacement fan, so I just applied the 'Lucas White Lithium Grease' I purchased.

This stuff: Lucas White Lithium Grease

I can say the stuff's viscosity is perfect for small electronic plastic gears and bearings.  It has the consistency similar to a thin mayonnaise.  It will stay where you put it and it wont slow down fan bearings like a thick sticky 'Vaseline' type of grease.

I'll report how long this stuff lasts in my fan...
(Man, the fan is now so quiet.  I don't mean slower as you can tell RPM by pitch, I mean just soooo quiet and smooth sounding.  The previous WD-40 temporary fix had a cold metallic mechanical metal-on-metal sound to it.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 05:09:15 pm by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf