Author Topic: JBC 6040 hot air station heating element repair  (Read 6275 times)

Offline r0d3z1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
JBC 6040 hot air station heating element repair
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:51:14 am »
I have bought a JBC 6040 hot air station but the hating element dosen't work. In particilar, the termocouple is broken, the original replacement code of the heating element is JBC 0933810 but I can't find it online. Anyone know if some new models use the same heating element ? or anyone know how can I find a replacement ?

Thanks

Here is the picture of the heating element
http://ibb.co/cQ43v0
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:04:16 am by r0d3z1 »

Offline ElecSeb

• Regular Contributor
Re: JBC 6040 hot air station heating element repair
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 05:42:18 pm »
JBC is a premium brand, send them a mail with the question (partnummer/dealer/where).
I know for sure they will come back with a proper answer (I am also a hapy JBC user   :)).

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 07:00:11 pm »
Their hot air element page might be of interest. And if I'm reading the station P/N's right, the element for the JT-T2A will work.

Hope this helps.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 07:28:25 am »
Their hot air element page might be of interest. And if I'm reading the station P/N's right, the element for the JT-T2A will work.

Hope this helps.

Yes, probably the element for the JT-T2A will work, thanks. It cost 200€  :o, I have to find an used one for sale.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 04:05:00 am »
Yes, probably the element for the JT-T2A will work, thanks. It cost 200€  :o, I have to find an used one for sale.
Keep in mind what their hot air stations go for new, so the element will be on the pricey side from a hobbyist/personal expense POV.

Good luck finding one used that works, but I wouldn't expect them to come up very often separate from a working unit. FWIW, including the handle assembly in your searches should improve your odds.

In the mean time, perhaps you can repair/replace the thermocouple on the existing element?  :-// Worst case it still doesn't work.  >:D

Offline pinyoro

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:32:25 pm »
I have a very similar JBC Hot air station and had to buy a replacement element for the same price. My station had additional problems and I ended up replacing a SMD op-amp and resistor on the control board. Very good station though although I think I had payed near £100 on ebay.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 01:39:23 pm »
In the mean time, perhaps you can repair/replace the thermocouple on the existing element?  :-// Worst case it still doesn't work.  >:D

This is a good idea, I will try to weld the thermocouple.

Offline eigiman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 12:11:11 pm »
Hello, I have the same station but in my case the heater element has failed. Did you manage to fix your thermocouple, or to find a replacement element?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 09:24:49 am »
I managed to fix the thermocouple, the original replacement is very expensive. I suggest your to try with a chinese heating element + custom mod on connector side.

Offline sunfire

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 09:10:32 pm »
Hello, I know this is a very old thread but I have the very same thermocouple problem on the very same hot air station. The thermocouple at the tip of the pencil looks to be broken, it reads ~73 ohms and it doesn't change with temperature, at all, it always stays at ~73 ohms. The thermocouple at the base of the pencil does work correctly, it measures ~3 ohms when cold (at room temperature) and ~13 ohms when heated with the soldering iron at about 280 degrees Celsius. I think it's a K type thermocouple but I don't have a working pencil to compare. The hot air station goes up to 450 degrees Celsius, I think the thermocouple at the tip should handle up to 550 - 600 degrees Celsius. Unfortunately the only thermocouple I have on hand is a Fluke 80BK-A which only goes to 260 degrees Celsius.

Could you please recommend a replacement thermocouple ? I'm using the station for hobby purposes, a new element for the JT-T2A which fits costs too much.

Thank you very much for the help

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 08:29:15 am »
I was able to repair the thermocouple, I have just soldered it by appling a voltage between the 2 wire. However, the result is no perfect but it works.

Offline Jontm

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 02:47:30 pm »
I also have a broken JBC hot air heating element: Mine is for the JT hot air station. Is the heating element the same ? If so, how did you get it out of the metal/plastic housing ? It seems to be completely stuck in mine...

Offline sunfire

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 08:02:42 am »
Hello,

Which JT model do you have ? In my Jt-6040 the external housing of the heating element is secured by a rod which is welded to the external housing and connects to a pin in the plastic connector. To get my heating element out of the housing that pin needs to be freed in the plastic connector then the external housing can be slid out slowly while the rod is carefully bent at the point where it's connected to the pin in the plastic connector in order to allow the freed pin in the connector to also slide out from the connector with the rod. Reassembly is done in the reverse order.

Can you post some pictures of your heating element ?

Offline Jontm

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 07:47:36 am »
Oh, that makes sense. Worked perfectly thanks. Unfortunately i have already ordered and received a new element. That being said, i think that it might not be the thermocouple that is broken on mine. The station complains about wrong type of heating element, so i think that the element might have too high or too low resistance.
I have a JT-2A.
Got the unit for free as it was broken. Was hoping it was just a bad heating element, but after spending 250 USD (with import taxes and such that are in my country) it seems like the air pump is also broken  :palm:
Looks like one of the diodes on the bridge rectifier for the pump is shorted. Since i now have spent a bit of money on it, now i have to actually fix it...

Offline sunfire

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 08:30:28 am »
Oh, that makes sense. Worked perfectly thanks. Unfortunately i have already ordered and received a new element. That being said, i think that it might not be the thermocouple that is broken on mine. The station complains about wrong type of heating element, so i think that the element might have too high or too low resistance.
I have a JT-2A.
Got the unit for free as it was broken. Was hoping it was just a bad heating element, but after spending 250 USD (with import taxes and such that are in my country) it seems like the air pump is also broken  :palm:
Looks like one of the diodes on the bridge rectifier for the pump is shorted. Since i now have spent a bit of money on it, now i have to actually fix it...

I replaced the thermocouple on my heating element. It works but a bit unexpectedly. On the LCD it shows a temperature which is always about 50-60 degrees higher than what I set on the temperature knob. For example I set 250 degrees on the knob, it shows about 310 degrees on the LCD, however, the LCD shows "ready" lit and it doesn't throw any errors anymore. This might actually be the expected behavior but I never saw the station working before I fixed it so I don't know how it's supposed to behave when it works correctly.

How did your station behave before you replaced the heating element ? Mine was pushing air through the pencil and it warmed the heating element briefly (I could see the heater glowing red in the pencil), then it threw error 6 and shut off. If you replaced the heating element with the same thing and it now throws "incorrect element" errors then logic dictates that either some connection (wire) between the heating element and the station got broken or there is something wrong in the station.

Offline Jontm

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 10:16:09 pm »
Do not quite remember.
I have fixed it now. It was the bridge rectifier for the air pump. Changed that and now it is working perfectly. Seems like a common fault on these machines. Figured I might as well try the old "broken" heating element. Annoyingly it seems to work perfectly fine now. No more errors for incorrect heating element. Seems like I might have spent 250 dollars/euros on a new one I didn't need  :palm:
Oh well, I guess I should not complain too much. I got it for free as it was not working. After all, 250 $ is cheap for a top of the line premium hot end station.

Offline masterx81

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 01:56:54 pm »
I have the very same unit, and had all sort of problems with intermittent temperature measurement, turned out to be a faulty crimp terminal on the connector (but the wires tested with the meter had not any problem). The unit was throwing a lot of Err2 and Err3.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 01:02:03 pm »
I have the very same unit, and had all sort of problems with intermittent temperature measurement, turned out to be a faulty crimp terminal on the connector (but the wires tested with the meter had not any problem). The unit was throwing a lot of Err2 and Err3.

mine also gives a lot of ERR 6, and the last time it measure 475° at startup  :-\

Offline Bpeter

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 06:18:49 pm »
hOW IS POSSIBLE TO FIND-OUT THE REAL ELECTRICAL SCHEMATICS ? IS THERE ANY POSSIBILITY TO GET IT ??

Offline ELECSEV

• RCO
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2023, 05:08:47 pm »
Hello. I have just arrived this blog. I have in my outlet store this element, in perfect and new condition.

Offline Domelec

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2023, 08:28:43 pm »
I have a very similar JBC Hot air station and had to buy a replacement element for the same price. My station had additional problems and I ended up replacing a SMD op-amp and resistor on the control board. Very good station though although I think I had payed near £100 on ebay.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
Hi
I have just bought a jt6040 which is supposed to need a new element, but when switched on it shows 20 degrees for about 1 second, then displays off
What made you find the op amp and resister being at fault please ?
Was it similar to mine?
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 09:43:01 pm by Domelec »

Offline thomasx

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2024, 11:24:58 pm »
Hi

Very good information in this thread.

I have a JT6040 that I bought second hand, a well used unit without any extras, but it does it's job.

Now however it has started to complain about ERR3, sporadically. So apparently there's a glitch in the connection somewhere, or the thermocouple is about to give up. Could be anywhere of course, but I guess the heating element is the place to start looking.

I noticed the cost of a replacement heating element is around €300 now. So not an option for me.

I think I have a bunch of K-Type thermocouplers with a USB-Temperature instrument, but in best case it is just a glitchy wire. I guess disassembly of the heating element is up next.

If anyone have any specific info or recommendations in addition to the info in the thread, please shout out :)

Offline thomasx

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 12:28:43 pm »
I took tings apart, and cleaned out the connectors, they seemed to have quite a bit of some white dust in them. After all they are right in the middle of the airflow, so I guess no wonder they become dust collectors. After a thorough clean-out with some IPA, it seems to be working fine again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf