Author Topic: B&D Smart 12v Battery Charger SMPS Repair  (Read 617 times)

Offline tango17Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
B&D Smart 12v Battery Charger SMPS Repair
« on: November 19, 2019, 08:20:01 pm »
Black & Decker VEC1093DBD automotive battery charger runs at 4 to 40A continuous with short bursts to 100A.

While charging at 40A, it blew the switchmode section.

The PWM control chip is a TL494CN that controls four irf640n n-channel mosfets in an H bridge.  The driver circuit for each mosfet is identical, and includes a two resistors, 6R8 and 1K1, an smt driver transistor marked "1P" and a diode (no marking).

The PWM control drives a transformer with 4 output pairs, each connected to the base of its corresponding driver 1P transistor.

The first failure occurred while 40A charging for a few hours. Two of the mosfets on one side of the H bridge blew, taking out the main FWBR, the main fuse, and a cap at the input filter as well as one 1P driver transistor, a diode and a 6R8 resistor in one of the driver circuits.

I repaired with misc. components I had.  I looked up 1P and decided it was a 2n2222.  I had a thru hole 2n2222a which I installed.  The diode I guessed at and stuck something in from another smps.  I had no irf640n but found an old irf640 and used it

After repair, it worked.  I ran it at 4A to charge a small battery overnight.  That worked.  Then I tried a 20A charge.  It worked for a while, and also at 40A for a while (a few minutes) then I left it charging at 20A.  As I walked away, it made a bang and released the magic smoke.

This time it left major black marks where the 2n2222a repair was installed.  That transistor was disintegrated.  It also took out a second 1P (same side of the H bridge) and a couple resistors in the driver circuit.  I believe the two new irf640's may be damaged, too, but they didn't leave as much black as in the first failure - maybe none.

I'd appreciate comments on where to go now.  The substitute diode is fine.  Was the 2n2222a substitution for the 1P smt a bad idea?  How about the irf640 for irf640n sub?

I'm mostly interested in learning a bit more about smps repair.  Would you suspect anything upstream closer to the pwm control, in my mosfet subs or in the driver circuits?

The mosfets are from a no name source.

Would it make sense to make the same repair again and then check out timing with a scope?  Could a cap cause an issue at the tl494? (The charger is prob about 10 years old or more).

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf