Author Topic: Best replacements for polystyrene caps?  (Read 5132 times)

Offline WyverntekGameRepairsTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • MAKE: My Day
Best replacements for polystyrene caps?
« on: December 24, 2019, 03:16:23 am »
Hi there! I'm working on my Atari 2600, and I have stumbled across 2 polystyrene capacitors. Those are not really made anymore, and are kinda expensive to get from most suppliers. I wish to replace them with better caps made of more reliable materials.
Polystyrene caps are indeed still made, but they are hard to come by these days. They have (for the most part) been dropped from production lines due to there being better alternatives. Size was a big factor in the death of these capacitors as well, as they were just too unreasonably big for any newer designs.
I am hoping there is an alternative capacitor that has almost the same, if not better, characteristics as a polystyrene cap.

The values of the capacitors are 820pF @ 50V.

Thanks!
-Sterling Ordes
Wyverntek Game Repairs
(Business License Pending)

Online MasterT

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Best replacements for polystyrene caps?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 04:03:10 am »
Ceramic, COG type.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 04:44:56 am »
Are they bad? I don't think I've ever had a polystyrene capacitor fail. If it works there is no reason to mess with it, they are typically excellent.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, tooki

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 04:56:30 am »
While polystyrene capacitors may be large, and don't offer high temperature capability, they were used due to their capacitance stability in some circuits.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 05:24:52 am »
Polypropylene is a good alternative if the application is actually relying on the performance of polystyrene.  Otherwise C0G, NP0, or any other plastic film capacitor is suitable.

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:05:46 am »
Unless you know for sure that they are bad, leave them alone. As others have said polystyrene film capacitors very rarely fail and they do not noticeably degrade over time.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 02:33:28 pm »
I'm working on an old sample and hold circuit, using the NE5537 and 47nF polystyrene capacitors. I messed up by washing it in IPA, to remove the flux and it doesn't work properly any more. I know it's the capacitors, even though they measure good, on the bench, because I moved them from another junk board and it works. I believe some of the solvent leached into them, weakening the dielectric, causing the leackage current to drastically rise.

I've still got other boards to refurbish. Would polypropylene do?

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 02:52:16 pm »
For a sample and hold circuit the dielectric absorbtion is the critical parameter. Polypropylene is about as good as PS in this respect. It depends on the model / series which one is better. 47 nF is rather large to find a C0G versions, but still possible.  I have tested some (at 2.2 nF) and found TDK COG caps with DA quite a bit lower than the  PS and PP I tested. Other C0G where about on par with PS, PP.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 03:13:40 pm »
I'm working on an old sample and hold circuit, using the NE5537 and 47nF polystyrene capacitors. I messed up by washing it in IPA, to remove the flux and it doesn't work properly any more. I know it's the capacitors, even though they measure good, on the bench, because I moved them from another junk board and it works. I believe some of the solvent leached into them, weakening the dielectric, causing the leackage current to drastically rise.

I accidentally did that on my Picoammeter project. The leakage shot up... but 24 hours later they were completely back to normal.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 03:30:43 pm »
For a sample and hold circuit the dielectric absorbtion is the critical parameter. Polypropylene is about as good as PS in this respect. It depends on the model / series which one is better. 47 nF is rather large to find a C0G versions, but still possible.  I have tested some (at 2.2 nF) and found TDK COG caps with DA quite a bit lower than the  PS and PP I tested. Other C0G where about on par with PS, PP.
47nF is also large for polystyrene. If they don't get better, after leaving them to dry out, I'll try replacing them with polypropylene.  C0G is SMT and this is a through hole board, so it could be done, but it will be messy.

I accidentally did that on my Picoammeter project. The leakage shot up... but 24 hours later they were completely back to normal.
I should have just left it alone. I'll hang on to the capacitors I removed, rather than discarding them, to see if they recover. It wasn't just IPA. I also used some hand sanitiser, which has been my go to for flux removal, since COVID. I like the way it hangs around on the board, rather than running off. I don't think much of it got on the capacitors. The IPA was just to wash any hand sanitiser off and capacitors got a fair soaking. I certainly won't do this again. :palm:

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 06:10:14 pm »
C0G caps are also available as THT - though internally they are likely a SMT part with connected wires and some epoxy dip.

Some extra heat (but not too much) could speed up the recovery process of the old PS caps quite a bit.

Online schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 06:24:14 pm »
Have you tried cleaning the board thoroughly with warm distilled water?

That worked for me once.

Offline jayjr1105

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 07:50:59 pm »
I too am working on a recap and tune up of a 2600.  I ordered a "tune-up" kit from console5 and it came with brand new polystyrene caps to my surprise when they picture a different type of cap on their website...

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2022, 08:28:54 pm »
In the schematic, the 820pF caps are used for the (PAL) xtal oscillator and RF modulator.
Mouser sells polystyrene capacitors from Xicon 820pF but no stock until summer. They are usually +/-5%.

I would use ceramic caps C0G like Kemet C410C821J1G5TA Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors MLCC - Leaded 50V 820pF C0G 5% $0.51, matches the photo.

Offline abdulbadii

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2022, 12:40:24 am »
Polystyrene (PS) capacitor has low loss and high capacitance stability over temperature, only ±1% in the range -55°C to +85°C.
It has low dielectric constant of 2.1 and is suitable for low C value but high stability applications e.g. as timing circuit
So simple thumb rule replace the part with the same rating and/or quality

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf