Author Topic: Boonton 92C repair question  (Read 328 times)

Offline WB8PFZTopic starter

• Contributor
Boonton 92C repair question
« on: February 26, 2024, 04:02:20 pm »
I have a module 92 rf microvolt meter that has an issue. Everything appears to work but all the readings are 5.5 db high. I am using a Hp signal generator for my rf source, double checking it with a HP spectrum analyzer. Any thoughts. Thanks Mike

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Boonton 92C repair question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 04:23:30 pm »
That’s consistent with a generator calibrated for voltage into a 50 ohm (external) load, but a meter with an input impedance much larger than 50 ohms.
I have two similar Boonton units: one is a power meter, where the probe shows 50 ohms to the source, and the other is a voltmeter with high input impedance, supplied with a removable 50 ohm termination.
Ideally, a very high input impedance results in an indication 6 dB high (x2 voltage).

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 09:43:58 pm »
 Well putting a 6 db attenuator between the rf out of the generator and the rf probe put all the scales in line with where they should be.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 10:29:15 pm »
Try adding a 50 ohm termination between the generator and the Boonton probe input.
Note that your spectrum analyzer has a 50 ohm input impedance, but voltmeters rarely do.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 01:19:51 pm »
I used a t connector in between the sig. gen and meter with a 50 ohm load and it now reads correctly. Thanks for your insight. Mike

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf