Author Topic: Bridgeport R2E4 CNC Mill - Replacement IC  (Read 316 times)

Offline gdgarrisTopic starter

Bridgeport R2E4 CNC Mill - Replacement IC
« on: July 31, 2023, 04:11:00 am »
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Bridgeport R2E4 (circa 1984) CNC milling machine. I powered up the machine in my garage, jogged the table around a bit, I was greeted with a drive fault. After poking around in the cabinet for a couple days, it appears I have lost the 15V supply on the DPS board. The IC that is responsible for generating this supply (i.e. LAS6380) has not been manufactured for many, many moons, and the few sources I have found are fairly pricey. Two questions:

1. Any suggestions on where I may find a vintage IC like this? I have found one on eBay, but I am a little worried I may smoke a second one and at $70 a pop, that stings a bit.

2. Any options on retrofitting something similar that do not require any drastic modifications to the board?

Links:

LAS6380 Datasheet: https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/148595/ETC1/LAS6380.html

Mill Manual (DPS, page 59): http://manuals.chudov.com/Bridgeport/R2E4-Boss-Manual-Lloyd.pdf

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: Bridgeport R2E4 CNC Mill - Replacement IC
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 04:15:29 am »
Can you just hook up an external 15V power supply?  Do you know the current requirement?

Offline gdgarrisTopic starter

Re: Bridgeport R2E4 CNC Mill - Replacement IC
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 04:48:19 am »
Honestly, I hadn't even though about using an external supply. Current requirement would be no more than 8 amps, that is what the original IC is rated for at least.

I'll still probably purchase an original IC and repair the board eventually, unless anyone as an alternate suggestion, but the external supply would keep me from smoking several with I sorted out any additional gremlins.

Thank you very much!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf